News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

AARoads topics in 1864

Started by Roadgeekteen, November 07, 2017, 09:29:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaryV

theroadwayone

What effects on roads will Reconstruction have?

mgk920

Quote from: theroadwayone on November 08, 2017, 05:34:52 PM

Well, first the Union has to win that war, and right now things aren't lookin' all that great.  I see that John McClellan even plans to make peace with and recognize the C.S.A. should he beat Lincoln in the election in a few weeks, like he is expected to.

:no:

Mic'l

kkt

Quote from: mgk920 on November 08, 2017, 05:54:20 PM

Well, first the Union has to win that war, and right now things aren't lookin' all that great.  I see that John McClellan even plans to make peace with and recognize the C.S.A. should he beat Lincoln in the election in a few weeks, like he is expected to.

Mic'l

By November of 1864, things were looking much better for the Union.  Atlanta had been captured, Petersburg besieged. 

theroadwayone

Quote from: kkt on November 08, 2017, 06:52:19 PM

I'm starting to think that I should have rewritten that as "what will happen to the roads after the war."

Mic'l

By November of 1864, things were looking much better for the Union.  Atlanta had been captured, Petersburg besieged.

sparker

Construction crew foreman:  "You know, we're trying to build a railroad out here, but we end up building all these damn roads so we can get our wagons and tools out to where the railroad's gonna be -- maybe we should just build a whole bunch of roads first and do the railroads later!"

RR supervisor:  "Are you f---ing kidding me?  No one wants to ride on a goddam mudpath!  Just shut up and take the wagon into town and bring back a half-dozen barrels of Giant Powder!"

JasonOfORoads

In the Northwest board: Barlow Road lowers toll to $2.50 per wagon
Borderline addicted to roadgeeking since ~1989.

ET21

Mountain West board welcomes Montana territory
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

mgk920

Quote from: kkt on November 08, 2017, 06:52:19 PM

Mic'l

But remember, the polls and early returns were such that Lincoln went to bed on election night fully believing that he had lost.

Mic'l

jeffandnicole

Why does the United States want to buy Alaska?  Why would we even want to go there?

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 09, 2017, 12:14:22 PM
Why does the United States want to buy Alaska?  Why would we even want to go there?
To give meaning to the pacific northwest board.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on November 09, 2017, 08:21:47 PM

They call that Manifest Destiny.  I take you we're part of the "All of Mexico"  brigade.

theroadwayone

Son, who has time to worry about such things nowadays? We got a war to fight.

Roadgeekteen

fictional highways: Extend Oregon trail up the Alaska coast.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Scott5114

Indian Territory interesting contract advertisements (contains a bunch of documents, most of which are in Cherokee)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Brandon

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 09, 2017, 11:29:08 PM

They call that Manifest Destiny.  I take you we're part of the "All of Mexico"  brigade.

FritzOwl definitely is.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

freebrickproductions

"Will horseless carriages ever replace the horse-and-buggy?"

And then the thread has a bunch of replies about how they won't ever replace the horse-and-buggy.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Brandon on November 10, 2017, 11:59:49 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 09, 2017, 11:29:08 PM

FritzOwl definitely is.

He's been sure chopping at the bit for a Transcontinental Railroad over the Gadsden Purchase.  Taking Cooke's Wagon Route in the summer is folly enough unto itself.   

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.