News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

2di Interstates with single lane portions.

Started by Troubleshooter, September 11, 2010, 11:35:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troubleshooter

One of the most blatant of these is I-76 at its interchange with I-80 near Youngstown Ohio. I-76 follows single lane ramps. One direction uses two loop ramps.

I-80 at Portage Indiana follows single lane exit ramps, one being a loop ramp.

Richmond Virginia I-64 westbound has a single lane merge with I-95.

Collinsville Illinois I-55 northbound has a single lane ramp to merge with I-70.

East St. Louis IL I-64 has single lane merge and diverge where it joins I-70 and I-55.

But in St. Louis, I-55 and I-70 have the single lane merge and diverge where they join I-64.

Duke87

There are countless examples involving entrance/exit ramps. But a couple come to mind that are, in fact, sections of two-lane interstate highway:

- I-93 through Franconia Notch
- I-81 on the Thousand Islands Bridge

The tunnels on the PA Turnpike would be former examples. As would I-95 in northern Maine.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

vdeane

I think those two are the only "true" two-lane 2dis.  IMO, using ramps for this is cheating!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

agentsteel53

I-8 drops to a single lane eastbound at I-5, but that is a ramp.

I-70 used to be two lanes west of Green River through the San Rafael area in Utah. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

exit322

77/64 on the WV Turnpike is a former example as well.

bugo

I-40 westbound in North Little Rock narrows down to one lane near the I-30 interchange.  Also, I believe I-44 in OKC is one lane at at least one place.

Grzrd

I believe Alligator Alley was two lanes for many years, but I don't know if it had already been upgraded to four lanes when it was initially signed as I-75.

Alps

Quote from: Grzrd on September 11, 2010, 02:43:53 PM
I believe Alligator Alley was two lanes for many years, but I don't know if it had already been upgraded to four lanes when it was re-designated as I-75.
Pretty sure it was.

Zmapper

I-80 Near Big Springs, NE is one lane EB during the merge with I-76.

hbelkins

In Wheeling, WV, all eastbound traffic on I-70 is shunted to a single lane approaching the tunnel.

In Knoxville, I-75 southbound is funneled to one lane as it merges with I-640.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

The Premier

Alex P. Dent

mightyace

I remember that I-90 was two lanes through the Badlands of South Dakota back in 1972 and IIRC it was still signed.

Not surprisingly, sometime between then and now, it was 4-laned.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

andrewkbrown

I-70's merge with I-79 in Washington, PA.
Firefighter/Paramedic
Washington DC Fire & EMS

jemacedo9

I-83 N and S east of Harrisburg PA at the Eisenhower Interchange w/ I-283 and US 322

Ian

-I-95 northbound when it meets the south end of I-93 and merges onto MA 128 in Canton, MA.

-I-395 northbound where it leaves the Southeast Freeway in D.C.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

yakra

I wanna say I-80 & I-74 where they bump near Quad Cities.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

SP Cook

Quote from: exit322 on September 11, 2010, 01:22:14 PM
77/64 on the WV Turnpike is a former example as well.

To a degree.  The Turnpike was actually signed as "to I-77".  As parts were completed the regular 77 signs were put up.  However many maps, including RM, signed the road as 77.  It was never signed as 64, because the 64 was not connected from Lewisburg to Beckley until the year after the Turnpike was finally upgraded, and US 60 was the recomended alternate.

Anthony_JK

I-10 eastbound in Baton Rouge at the I-10/I-110 "Split" gets reduced to a one-lane "ramp"...which then converts into an auxillary ramp to exit at Washington Street.  Although, LaDOTD did recently tweak that interchange to allow for a smoother transition, the ramp itself remains one-lane.

Anthony

Revive 755

Quote from: Troubleshooter on September 11, 2010, 11:35:31 AM
Collinsville Illinois I-55 northbound has a single lane ramp to merge with I-70.

Three things wrong with that statement:

1) I-70 merges with I-55 at Troy; I-255 crosses I-55/70 at Collinsville, but there is no merging of interstates.  Had the southern new Mississippi River bridge option been pursued, I-55 would have merged here.

2) As stated above, only I-70 traffic has to merge; Nothing really happens to traffic on I-55.

3) All the mainline interstate movements are two lanes.  Granted there are a few forced merges at that interchange that I'd like to see redone.
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=38.749925,-89.905919&spn=0.006359,0.020599&t=k&z=17

QuoteEast St. Louis IL I-64 has single lane merge and diverge where it joins I-70 and I-55.
Nope, both I-64 movements there are two lanes, though the eastbound signage kind of makes the eastbound movement look like it has a lane drop for the NB IL 3 exit.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=38.632804,-90.145317&spn=0.003185,0.0103&t=k&z=18

* I-55 has a couple single lane portions around Memphis:

- Both directions at the Crump cloverleaf in Memphis

- SB drops to a single lane briefly at the interchange with I-240:
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=35.072884,-90.029432&spn=0.000834,0.002575&t=k&z=20

* I-69 has/will have a single lane section each way at the interchange with I-55 south of Memphis

* I-72 is a single lane each way at the eastern interchange with I-55:
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=39.800183,-89.594635&spn=0.001566,0.00515&t=k&z=19

* I-74 has a bunch of single lane sections:

- At the merge with I-280 around Quad Cities (I think there are plans to fix the EB movement out there)

- At the interchange with I-80 (thought thee were plans for flyovers at this interchange to fix the WB movement)

- At the northern interchange with I-55

- At the western interchange with I-465

- At the eastern interchange with I-465

- WB I-74 appears to go down to a single lane at the eastern intersection with I-275, looks like the second lane was removed to fix a forced merge:
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=39.214047,-84.680171&spn=0.003159,0.0103&t=k&z=18

barcncpt44

I-20 in Birmingham after the I-59 interchange the right lane exits; as you go down the ramp the right lane becomes a exit only lane.

A bland smile is like a green light at an intersection, it feels good when you get one, but you forget it the moment you're past it. -Doug Coupland

froggie

Other former examples of the NON-RAMP variety:

- Parts of I-20 through Vicksburg, MS, between Bovina and Clinton, MS, and west of Meridian, MS were initially built as 2 lanes.  The segment west of Meridian was widened to 4 lanes ca. 1968, through Vicksburg ca. 1973 (coinciding with the Mississippi River bridge), and betwen Bovina and Clinton was slowly upgraded in stages through the '60s and early '70s.

- I-91 between Derby Center and Derby Line, VT was built as 2 lanes ca. 1962.  It was widened ca. 1970.

- I-15 north of Idaho Falls, ID into Montana was initially built as 2 lanes.

- Perusing my earlier Montana maps shows several segments of I-15, I-90, and I-94 that were initially built as 2 lanes.

yakra

To that end, I-95 was initially constructed as a Super-2 from the Canadian border in Houlton to... where, like Orono or Old Town or something? Upgraded in the early 80s IIRC.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

SidS1045

Quote from: PennDOTFan on September 11, 2010, 11:03:02 PM
-I-95 northbound when it meets the south end of I-93 and merges onto MA 128 in Canton, MA.

Only on the ramp to 128 north.  The ramp to (former) 128 south (I-93 & US-1 N) is two lanes.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

roadman65

In Fort Lee, NJ the upper level connection to the I-95 local lanes drops down to a single lane at NJ 4. It then merges into the lower level lanes to the I-95 local lanes that have two lanes.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

vtk

I-71 is routed through a single-lane ramp each way through the Mound-Sandusky (West Split) Interchange (Jct I-70 & OH-315) in Columbus.  I-70 Westbound is forced into a single lane just before joining I-71 Southbound in the East Split Interchange; there's another lane there but it's Exit Only for 4th Street.  Both of these situations are supposed to be rectified as the I-70/71 project takes its course, giving I-70 and I-71 three and two through lanes each way, respectively.  (Or so says the overall description -- for some reason, the actual plans show only two through lanes westbound on I-70 through both major interchanges...)

Also, I think NB I-71 narrows to a single lane just before merging with I-75 in northern Kentucky.  Now why couldn't they have let the two Interstates join, and then drop a lane a bit downstream?
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.