News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

A mix of old and new

Started by MDOTFanFB, January 29, 2011, 05:06:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDOTFanFB

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=42.494568,-83.117216&spn=0,0.02738&z=16&layer=c&cbll=42.494567,-83.116979&panoid=XRekyhb08emkL0mePyFC2A&cbp=12,224.3,,1,-6.72

The Google car happened to pass by during the brief time both of these signs existed. The older sign is to the right, while the new (Clearview  :banghead: ) sign is to the left. This is at I-75 at exit 62 in Royal Oak, MI.

Post any other pictures you may have that have both old and new signs within the same pic.

CL

I actually encountered this yesterday in Davis County (bear in mind that the two are only five or so years apart in age):

Infrastructure. The city.

hbelkins

I also had someone send me photos of new and old signs for the KY 418 exit on I-75 in Fayette County.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Michael

Not a new sign, but Google finally updated their map data late last year to show the new alignment of US 15 from Tioga, PA to Watson Creek Road.  The aerial imagery still shows the old alignment.  The most recent NYSGIS aerial imagery (which Google uses) from that area is from 2007.

Michael in Philly

Quote from: hbelkins on January 29, 2011, 09:29:01 PM

I also had someone send me photos of new and old signs for the KY 418 exit on I-75 in Fayette County.

A peeve:  does that "south" apply to both Ky. 1958 and Truck Ky. 627 or only the latter?  And if the sign on the gantry is the newer one, they've made it worse.

They used to have limitations like that sit above the shield(s) they applied to, even if that entailed repeating them, unless there was only one route shield on the sign.
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

74/171FAN

Does an older exit tab with the new sign count?  I know I've seen worse with VDOT but I don't have any photos of those. 
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

MDOTFanFB

Quote from: 74/171FAN on January 30, 2011, 11:57:11 AM
Does an older exit tab with the new sign count?  I know I've seen worse with VDOT but I don't have any photos of those. 

What were they thinking? That Clearview sign is lit at night even though it's reflective? (facepalm)

US71

Old and New?
Does this count? ;)

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

CL

Quote from: MDOTFanFB on January 30, 2011, 11:59:35 AM
What were they thinking? That Clearview sign is lit at night even though it's reflective? (facepalm)

Utah does that with ALL its (1990s and newer) overhead signs in Salt Lake City, although the lights point downward instead of upward. I think it's actually a nice touch - you have the reflectivity there in case the lights don't turn on, and the lights help make the signs stand out.
Infrastructure. The city.

vdeane

Here's one from I-490 reconstruction:
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: MDOTFanFB on January 30, 2011, 11:59:35 AM

VDOT reuses old overhead gantries, so it tends not to remove the lights. Not all of them are lit.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Duke87

The silly part about the new signs is that they bothered to put "I-278 east to I-95 north" instead of just "I-95 north". I mean yes, technically, there is still some mainline left to 278 here, but it merges into 95 half a mile ahead, with no other options along the way. Yay for pointless clutter to make things technically correct?

The sillier part of this particular assembly is that both of those gantires coexisted for months.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

corco

US71

cjk374

Quote from: US71 on January 30, 2011, 05:45:50 PM

Why not put the control cities on the new sign? BOOOOO!!!!!   :thumbdown:   :verymad:

Quote from: Duke87 on January 30, 2011, 04:22:04 PM

The silly part about the new signs is that they bothered to put "I-278 east to I-95 north" instead of just "I-95 north". I mean yes, technically, there is still some mainline left to 278 here, but it merges into 95 half a mile ahead, with no other options along the way. Yay for pointless clutter to make things technically correct?

The sillier part of this particular assembly is that both of those gantires coexisted for months.

Anyone else notice the change in control points from a region (New England) to a city (New Haven, CT)?   :hmm:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

hbelkins

Quote from: Michael in Philly on January 30, 2011, 09:46:17 AM

A peeve:  does that "south" apply to both Ky. 1958 and Truck Ky. 627 or only the latter?  And if the sign on the gantry is the newer one, they've made it worse.

They used to have limitations like that sit above the shield(s) they applied to, even if that entailed repeating them, unless there was only one route shield on the sign.

The ground-mounted sign was installed circa 1997. It originally had only KY 1958 and the route marker was centered. The Truck KY 627 south was added as an afterthought. The Clearview sign was installed as part of the I-64 widening a few years ago.

Truck KY 627 is routed along I-64 from Exit 96 to Exit 94, then along KY 1958 back to 627 on the south side of town. So technically the "South" applies only to Truck 627, although technically KY 1958 exists north of I-64 for only a few hundred feet so it could apply to both routes and be essentially correct.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NE2

Have they fixed the exit numbers on I-278 and I-95 yet, or are they still a mix of old (mile-based, at least on I-95) and new (sequential)?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Quillz

Is that a '61 spec US-65 shield? It looks really nice compared to the other bloated monstrosities.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: NE2 on January 31, 2011, 12:03:28 AM

Have they fixed the exit numbers on I-278 and I-95 yet, or are they still a mix of old (mile-based, at least on I-95) and new (sequential)?

I-95 and 278, no sadly.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Ian

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

US71

Quote from: cjk374 on January 30, 2011, 07:14:31 PM

Why not put the control cities on the new sign? BOOOOO!!!!!   :thumbdown:   :verymad:

Because Arkansas is shifting to "Metropolitan signage" in larger cities.

OracleUsr

Here's one from Winston-Salem on the Corpening Freeway (I-40 Bypass).  In front, of course, is brand new signage (just put up this year) and in the back is an older version of the sign on the left.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

cjk374

Quote from: US71 on February 05, 2011, 12:01:08 PM

Because Arkansas is shifting to "Metropolitan signage" in larger cities.

I was unaware that Conway was a "metropolitan area".   :eyebrow:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

shadyjay

Taken during summer 2010 on I-89 in Central Vermont:

NB, Mileage to next exits, just after Exit 6, Northbound:

NB looking at the SB signage for Exit 7:

And going back to the fall of 2005 in Island Pond, VT:  New shields and very old destination signs - wood I think:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.