News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

(US) Why is the 'no passing zone' pennant yellow?

Started by NE2, March 28, 2011, 03:18:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

I had always thought they were too small to be intended for driver use, just for road maintenance purposes.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Ian

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on March 29, 2011, 04:41:42 PM
I've always noticed those little signs in CT ("pass cards" as you call them)... wish more states used them.

I've seen similar type signs used in both Pennsylvania and New York.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Duke87

Somebody please tell me that I'm not the only one who was confused the hell out by "do not pass" signs as a kid. Because, after all, we just passed the sign! What were we, not supposed to go down the road any further?
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

NE2

My mom has a story about "signal ahead" and asking her sister which way she should signal.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

agentsteel53

Quote from: NE2 on March 29, 2011, 10:33:51 PM
My mom has a story about "signal ahead" and asking her sister which way she should signal.

the one comparable story I have is noting that the text printed in the lane said "BUS TO YIELD" and nearly getting creamed.

apparently, you're supposed to read from bottom to top, despite the fact that the text was printed so close together that top-down was completely intuitive.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Dr Frankenstein

Quebec also has passcards, but they are definitely not intended for motorists, as they use a colour-based code, and are sometimes difficult to find in a timely manner, due to weeds, snow, and whatever else.

mightyace

After seeing the pass cards I knew I'd seen them before and not in Connecticut.

I may be mistaken but the one that I thought I saw in PA had a white background not yellow.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: mightyace on April 01, 2011, 12:53:44 AM
After seeing the pass cards I knew I'd seen them before and not in Connecticut.

I may be mistaken but the one that I thought I saw in PA had a white background not yellow.

I noticed them as well. Looked similar to CT's but on a white instead of yellow background.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

JREwing78

Michigan signs passing zones with the following, and has done so for several decades:

----- \                                      _______
|No     \                                   |   DO   |
|Passing|                                 |  NOT   |
|Zone   /                                  | PASS  |
------/                                      _______

Then

______
                                              |PASS|
                                              |WITH|
                                              |CARE|
                                              ______

Where this works extremely well is in adverse weather conditions (pavement stripes obscured by rain at night, snow-covered roadways, etc). Using the No Passing Zone and Do Not Pass signs in tandem increases their visibility beyond the use of the yellow sign by itself.

mgk920

WisDOT used 'PASS WITH CARE' signs until about 25 or so years ago.

Mike

hm insulators

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 29, 2011, 03:44:06 PM
Quote from: Brian556 on March 29, 2011, 03:41:37 PM
In Lake Dallas, Tx , there is a no passing zone marked with both "No Passing Zone" and "Do Not Pass" signs. The center stripe, however, is broken yellow. Shows how smart city employees are.

I'll make sure to file a lawsuit after I am scraped off that 18 wheeler's grille.

:-D
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

ctsignguy

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 29, 2011, 09:21:20 PM
I had always thought they were too small to be intended for driver use, just for road maintenance purposes.
Talked to Jeff at ConnDOT's sign shop today and you are correct.  The pass cards were intended for the use of road striping crews to know when to apply dashes, double stripes and mixes of both...as Jeff noted "They may have been more useful decades ago when the speed limits were lower, but now, they are too small for the average motorist to notice reliably..."
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: ctsignguy on May 24, 2011, 04:52:53 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 29, 2011, 09:21:20 PM
Talked to Jeff at ConnDOT's sign shop today and you are correct.  The pass cards were intended for the use of road striping crews to know when to apply dashes, double stripes and mixes of both...as Jeff noted "They may have been more useful decades ago when the speed limits were lower, but now, they are too small for the average motorist to notice reliably..."

One thing I notice when they stripe new lines on new pavement, they use small yellow or white squares every few hundred feet so the crews know where to paint the lines.  I don't remember them doing that years ago.  They seem to be less reliant on the pass cards.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

realjd

Quote from: doofy103 on May 24, 2011, 05:33:08 PM
One thing I notice when they stripe new lines on new pavement, they use small yellow or white squares every few hundred feet so the crews know where to paint the lines.  I don't remember them doing that years ago.  They seem to be less reliant on the pass cards.

The little flags they stick on the road where the lines are going to go? I'm pretty sure that those are just a convenient way to mark a temporary line for traffic purposes. It's more temporary and works better than painted temporary markings.

mightyace

^^^

I don't think that's it, realjd.

If I'm thinking about what doofy103 is thinking about, they are small squares of paint on the pavement where the line(s) will go when the full lines are painted.

But, they do help in navigating the highway until the real lines are done.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

roadfro

Out in Nevada, road crews often use the little flags in minor overlay conditions (like a fog seal or slurry seal) to mark the travel lanes until the paint truck can come through.

I think crews around Vegas used to use little paint squares to later guide permanent striping. I think these were also somewhat used for temporary markings. This is an older practice now, as striping is typically laid out via a pilot line--spray painted marks on the finished surface similar to the "pass card" lines that also denote placement on the street--which is simply covered up by the final striping. Using the little paint squares along the road alone (without cones or other construction objects) is likely not considered acceptable enough by modern standards to denote temporary traffic control.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Alps

Well the little squares sure still see use in some places. Whenever I see them, in the absence of regulatory pass/no pass signage, I assume the entire road is a passing zone since I have no reason to believe otherwise.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.