News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

4 lane undivided freeways

Started by ethanman62187, October 02, 2011, 09:46:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ethanman62187

I like all of this. I like va sr 28 to be an interstate highway.

NE2

What the fuck is wrong with you?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

formulanone

^ He's 13...let it go, dude.

Jordanah1

its a road geek website, i was just making a comparison. why cant we just let this stupid english language quarel go?
"Oshkosh"- "Oh, you mean like 'Oshkosh BGosh'?"

Scott5114

Quote from: formulanone on October 15, 2011, 09:55:39 AM

We've had some pretty articulate 13 year olds here. While I don't condone outright rudeness to other members, I don't think being of a certain age is an acceptable cover for bizarre posting. Then again when I was 13 and posting on web forums people frequently mistook me for being in my twenties, so maybe my point of view is a bit skewed...

That said... yeah, we ain't gonna have this debate about "ain't" anymore. Y'all ain't gonna talk about "ain't" no more, y'see, 'cause I reckon that tharr Wikipedia has enough to say about "ain't" that we ain't gotta say nothin' else about it.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Jordanah1

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 15, 2011, 10:07:58 AM
Quote from: formulanone on October 15, 2011, 09:55:39 AM

We've had some pretty articulate 13 year olds here. While I don't condone outright rudeness to other members, I don't think being of a certain age is an acceptable cover for bizarre posting. Then again when I was 13 and posting on web forums people frequently mistook me for being in my twenties, so maybe my point of view is a bit skewed...

That said... yeah, we ain't gonna have this debate about "ain't" anymore. Y'all ain't gonna talk about "ain't" no more, y'see, 'cause I reckon that tharr Wikipedia has enough to say about "ain't" that we ain't gotta say nothin' else about it.
:)
"Oshkosh"- "Oh, you mean like 'Oshkosh BGosh'?"

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

ethanman62187

Quote from: kurumi on October 02, 2011, 08:12:15 PM
Related thread: Super-4 freeways

Here's CT 2 at CT 214 in Ledyard:

I'm thinking that 60 MPH should handle this road.

deathtopumpkins

Have you ever even seen it in person? Do you even know anything about it beyond that picture? Do you have a degree and years of experience behind you that prove that you can accurately establish a speed limit for a road?

Didn't think so.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Bickendan

Quote from: ethanman62187 on October 22, 2011, 01:34:02 PM
Quote from: kurumi on October 02, 2011, 08:12:15 PM
Related thread: Super-4 freeways

Here's CT 2 at CT 214 in Ledyard:

I'm thinking that 60 MPH should handle this road.
Uh, no. See that yellow diamond sign on the mainline beyond the exit gore point? That's a lane merge warning. That right lane drops.

sp_redelectric

Quote from: nexus73 on October 02, 2011, 02:21:37 PMSR 22 going east from Salem OR was undivided freeway years ago.  I wonder if it still is?
Quote from: Bickendan on October 02, 2011, 08:39:25 PMIt's divided now. OR 18 might still have a Super-4 segment.

Oregon 22 could probably be considered a "Super 4" from Interstate 5 (where there are traffic signals governing the ramps off of I-5 onto 22) eastward to just before the Silver Falls Highway (Oregon 214) exit, where a median takes over the center.  Between those two points there are no at-grade intersections and no center barrier or median.

Oregon 22 west of Salem to Willamina has some freeway segments (i.e. Center/Marion Street Bridge west through West Salem, about 1.7 miles) when the center jersey barrier ends and at-grade intersections start.  Further west near the Oregon 99W interchange, Oregon 22 is now at freeway standard from the at-grade intersection with Greenwood Road west, underneath 99W, to the Dallas-Rickreall Highway interchange (signed as Oregon 223, but Oregon 223 is actually further to the west.)

Oregon 18 doesn't have any "super 4" segments.  There are a few grade-separated interchanges along its route but there are also minor at-grade intersections near each of the intersections.  The segment from Highway 22 west through Fort Hill to the South Yamhill River is now freeway-spec with a center jersey barrier and no at-grade intersections, but there are still driveway accesses (probably disqualifying it as a true "freeway".)  And there is a divided "freeway" to the northeast of Highway 22, up to the Yamhill/Polk County Line but there's an at-grade intersection at the west end of the divided highway segment and again, driveway accesses.

One could argue that Oregon 18 is a "Super 2" along the south side of McMinnville between Oregon 99W and the Three Mile Lane/McMinnville (City Center) exit, but the city/state have been working hard to make the Three Mile Lane segment of Oregon 18 into more an urban arterial (a new traffic signal was just added for the Evergreen Aviation Museum/Waterpark this year).  There's another "Super 2" segment near Dayton, this time without driveway accesses, but there's an at-grade intersection just east of Dayton on the east side of the Yamhill River, and then the notorious Highway 233 intersection.

Bickendan

^I was thinking of the Willamina-Sheridan Bypass portion at Exit 34.

ethanman62187

Quote from: sp_redelectric on October 24, 2011, 12:08:15 AM
Quote from: nexus73 on October 02, 2011, 02:21:37 PMSR 22 going east from Salem OR was undivided freeway years ago.  I wonder if it still is?
Quote from: Bickendan on October 02, 2011, 08:39:25 PMIt's divided now. OR 18 might still have a Super-4 segment.

Oregon 22 could probably be considered a "Super 4" from Interstate 5 (where there are traffic signals governing the ramps off of I-5 onto 22) eastward to just before the Silver Falls Highway (Oregon 214) exit, where a median takes over the center.  Between those two points there are no at-grade intersections and no center barrier or median.

Oregon 22 west of Salem to Willamina has some freeway segments (i.e. Center/Marion Street Bridge west through West Salem, about 1.7 miles) when the center jersey barrier ends and at-grade intersections start.  Further west near the Oregon 99W interchange, Oregon 22 is now at freeway standard from the at-grade intersection with Greenwood Road west, underneath 99W, to the Dallas-Rickreall Highway interchange (signed as Oregon 223, but Oregon 223 is actually further to the west.)

Oregon 18 doesn't have any "super 4" segments.  There are a few grade-separated interchanges along its route but there are also minor at-grade intersections near each of the intersections.  The segment from Highway 22 west through Fort Hill to the South Yamhill River is now freeway-spec with a center jersey barrier and no at-grade intersections, but there are still driveway accesses (probably disqualifying it as a true "freeway".)  And there is a divided "freeway" to the northeast of Highway 22, up to the Yamhill/Polk County Line but there's an at-grade intersection at the west end of the divided highway segment and again, driveway accesses.

One could argue that Oregon 18 is a "Super 2" along the south side of McMinnville between Oregon 99W and the Three Mile Lane/McMinnville (City Center) exit, but the city/state have been working hard to make the Three Mile Lane segment of Oregon 18 into more an urban arterial (a new traffic signal was just added for the Evergreen Aviation Museum/Waterpark this year).  There's another "Super 2" segment near Dayton, this time without driveway accesses, but there's an at-grade intersection just east of Dayton on the east side of the Yamhill River, and then the notorious Highway 233 intersection.

Yeah, that to be a 2 lane or 4 lane undivided freeway.

sp_redelectric

Quote from: Bickendan on October 24, 2011, 05:02:38 PM
^I was thinking of the Willamina-Sheridan Bypass portion at Exit 34.

Hmmmm...  You're right in that there's a freeway-style interchange there, and again to the west at Exit 33 ("Sheridan", or Bridge Street/Ballston Road), but in the 1.2 miles between the two exits are two at-grade intersections and an at-grade railroad crossing.  And to the east you have all sorts of driveways, intersections and such.

Oregon 18 ought to be a super-2 (or better yet a full four-lane divided highway) all the way from Grand Ronde to McDougall's Corner (intersection with 99W near Dayton) considering that so much work has been done to get in that direction, but there's a lot of work to be done and it seems ODOT has stopped any work to further improve 18.  Aside from the Fort Hill improvements, the last major Highway 18 project was the widening project at the Yamhill/Polk County Line (about 10 years ago?) and widening the Three Mile Lane stretch east of McMinnville (in the early 1990s).  And ODOT is doing a good job screwing that stretch up, having turned on another traffic light in a 55 MPH zone.  I thought only Montana was dumb enough to put traffic lights on high speed highways (in 70 zones!)

Some_Person

There are a few segments of 5 and 6 lanes undivided on US 101 in northern California. Here is an instance of 6 lane undivided: http://goo.gl/maps/8GtZ4 and although it's not labelled orange on Google Maps, it's freeway status, within a mile or two of exit 614. Just north though, it narrows to two lanes and loses freeway status.

myosh_tino

Quote from: Some_Person on November 21, 2012, 02:56:10 PM
There are a few segments of 5 and 6 lanes undivided on US 101 in northern California. Here is an instance of 6 lane undivided: http://goo.gl/maps/8GtZ4 and although it's not labelled orange on Google Maps, it's freeway status, within a mile or two of exit 614. Just north though, it narrows to two lanes and loses freeway status.
Technically speaking, that section of US 101 *is* divided because there are two sets of double yellow line separating traffic.  If that road was striped with just a double yellow line, then it would be undivided.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Special K

Quote from: myosh_tino on November 21, 2012, 03:41:26 PM
Technically speaking, that section of US 101 *is* divided because there are two sets of double yellow line separating traffic.  If that road was striped with just a double yellow line, then it would be undivided.

Wait... *Two* sets of double yellow?  What the hell kind of striping is that?

Alps

Quote from: Special K on November 21, 2012, 04:04:10 PM
Quote from: myosh_tino on November 21, 2012, 03:41:26 PM

Wait... *Two* sets of double yellow?  What the hell kind of striping is that?
It's a striped median without a 2-way left turn lane.

bugo

There are sections of US 271 in Texas with the double-double yellow lines.  Although not a freeway, this road is not a divided road.

xonhulu

Sorry for responding to something a month old, but I just noticed the OR 22 discussion today.

Quote from: sp_redelectric on October 24, 2011, 12:08:15 AM

This isn't exactly true.  There are no at-grade intersections, that's true.  And for years, OR 22 was 4 lanes with no center barrier east to OR 214; east of there, it was 2 lanes, at least until they built the other carriageway about 15 years ago.  But a center barrier was added on the I-5-to-OR 214 section a few years back, so the lanes are now separated. 

However, even though the newer four-lane section east of OR 214 has a grassy median, it still has an at-grade railroad crossing near Aumsville, so it's not quite interstate-quality.

QuoteOregon 22 west of Salem to Willamina has some freeway segments (i.e. Center/Marion Street Bridge west through West Salem, about 1.7 miles) when the center jersey barrier ends and at-grade intersections start.  Further west near the Oregon 99W interchange, Oregon 22 is now at freeway standard from the at-grade intersection with Greenwood Road west, underneath 99W, to the Dallas-Rickreall Highway interchange (signed as Oregon 223, but Oregon 223 is actually further to the west.)

It's technically SPUR 223, but not signed as such.  The signage indicating this highway is OR 223 exists only at its ends, both from OR 22 and OR 99W.  And in Dallas, traffic heading northbound on OR 223 encounters this absurd signage, showing that 223 goes both straight ahead (north) and right (east):

As for OR 22 west of Salem, there is an ongoing ODOT study looking to improve this section, but I would be very surprised to see them propose a full freeway.  More likely, they'll make some of the major intersections into interchanges, but leave a lot of the minor direct accesses.

Stephane Dumas

Looks like a gap of M1 in South Africa who could be classifield as a "super-4" http://goo.gl/maps/HTjlX

Rover_0

Would US-89/91 around Brigham City and Mantua qualify? While the US-89/91/UT-13 junction is a stoplight, the US-89/91/UT-90 junction and south Mantua junctions do involve on- and off-ramps.

Brigham City only has a NB on-ramp and SB off-ramp, while Mantua has only a NB off-ramp and SB on-ramp.

Wouldn't many of these 5-lane* roads in Utah qualify? The likes of UT-9 between Hurricane and I-15 and US-189 through Provo Canyon?

*I know, not technically 4-lane, but other than left turns operate like 4-lane roads.
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.