News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

"Highway" Signs

Started by US71, January 09, 2012, 12:57:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry

Quote from: rarnold on January 29, 2012, 05:52:32 PM
Phillips 66 stations still exist, but Phillips Petroleum does not exist anymore. It is now part of ConocoPhillips Petroleum. Phillips 66 is now just a brand name. They may not exist in parts of the country anymore due to regional contracts, so their stations were sold off to another company, like BP or Sunoco.

Speaking of BP, I miss their old Interstate-style logo. IIRC, it was discontinued around 2007-08, or was it earlier?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Takumi

According to Wikipedia, it was 2002. That was also when they phased out Amoco, but I still occasionally see the old logo and the Amoco logo in rural areas.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Henry

Quote from: Takumi on January 29, 2012, 06:30:34 PM
According to Wikipedia, it was 2002. That was also when they phased out Amoco, but I still occasionally see the old logo and the Amoco logo in rural areas.
Thanks for clearing that up! Although the current flowerlike logo isn't bad, I like the Interstate one a lot better.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

bugo

There's a business in SE KS on US 400 called "400" something.  I can't remember if it's a shield or not.  I remember it was named 400 just a couple of years after 400 was commissioned.

apeman33

There's a 54 Veterinary Clinic near Nevada, Mo., which uses a U.S. 54 shield. But in order to make the sign look right, the name has to be out of order: "Veterinary Clinic 54".

There was still a business named "K-12 _____________" on U.S. 166-400 (which was the alignment of the first K-12, obviously) a few years ago. Maybe this finally got renamed?

Dr Frankenstein

Darkchylde

Found another example close to me - on the Florida Street portion of US 190 in Mandeville, Louisiana, just to the east of Lafayette Street is a mini-storage: Hwy 190 Mini Storage. The "Hwy 190" part is on the sign in a shield shaped like a US highway shield, but unusual in that the color scheme is black on red.

webfil

Quote from: Henry on January 29, 2012, 06:35:02 PM
Quote from: Takumi on January 29, 2012, 06:30:34 PM
Thanks for clearing that up! Although the current flowerlike logo isn't bad, I like the Interstate one a lot better.

The people who designed the new BP logo also designed the annual international cycling Grand Prix in Québec city.
:-D

roadman65

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on January 29, 2012, 06:18:11 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on January 29, 2012, 03:00:28 PM
What ever happened to Phillips 66 petroleum?  They used the US 66 shield as its logo. 
Is there not a US 40 Motel in either Indiana or Ohio that uses or used a US 40 shield?

Scroll back up thread for a photo of the US 40 Hotel sign.
I missed that one scrolling down. I even missed it a second time, but the third I found it.  The marque suggests that it might be one of those motels you would find on OBT in Orlando or in Van Nuys, CA.  I hope not, it could just be for the market of weekend travelers.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

US71

Choteau, OK used to have a 69 Motel, complete with a US 69 shield (since it was on US 69). I think it's now called "Economy Inn".

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

drummer_evans_aki

Pabst Blue Ribbon signs in Kentucky?

I thought only people from Portland, OR drink that garbage.
Could you imagine getting directions from a guy with tourettes?

ctsignguy

Quote from: roadman65 on January 29, 2012, 03:00:28 PM
What ever happened to Phillips 66 petroleum?  They used the US 66 shield as its logo.  

Ask and ye shall receive!   (US 44 in East Hartford CT)
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

SP Cook

Phillips 66 may be making something of a comeback.  Over time Phillips, Conoco, and Tosco (the refining and marketing spin off of Unocal, formerly Union Oil of California) merged, using all three brands in different areas. 

ConocoPhillips has announced a split similar to that of Unocal, with a Conoco that is "upstream" (finding and extracting the oil) and a Phillips that is in the refining and marketing business. 

luokou

Quote from: drummer_evans_aki on February 04, 2012, 10:22:10 PM

Just the hipsters, who unfortunately (perhaps in their ironic but not ways) call it "Portland's Best Resource." It's originally from Milwaukee WI, for goodness sake!

Takumi

Quote from: luokou on February 05, 2012, 12:56:06 PM

Just the hipsters, who unfortunately (perhaps in their ironic but not ways) call it "Portland's Best Resource." It's originally from Milwaukee WI, for goodness sake!

It's also semi-popular here in Richmond, again because of the hipsters.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Laura

Quote from: Takumi on February 05, 2012, 01:12:33 PM
Quote from: luokou on February 05, 2012, 12:56:06 PM

It's also semi-popular here in Richmond, again because of the hipsters.

Sooo true! Since the days I lived in Lynchburg, I've associated PBR with Richmond.

Anyway, Route 12 Pizza in Salisbury, MD is on MD 12 and pretty fantastic I might add.

kphoger

Huh.  Phillips 66 stations are all over this part of the world.  There's a 66 station not one mile from where I sit.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

US71

I found a new one in West Memphis on my way to the Road Meet:

And another about 2 blocks from my hotel

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

elsmere241

PHLBOS

Quote from: US71 on May 01, 2012, 08:14:18 AM
I found a new one in West Memphis on my way to the Road Meet:

I guess Keith Ingram supports Clearview:)
GPS does NOT equal GOD

formulanone

^ I think that's the first time I've seen Clearview used "off-road".

Alex

Quote from: formulanone on May 02, 2012, 05:47:53 AM

There is a housing development company that used Clearview on their billboards as well. I do not recall their name, but the font was black on yellow.

bulkyorled

Quote from: Alex on May 02, 2012, 09:01:38 AM

There is a housing development company that used Clearview on their billboards as well. I do not recall their name, but the font was black on yellow.

Is it possibly KB Homes? Kaufman & Broad.
I see their signs constantly in Lancaster & Palmdale, CA. They're based in LA but once in Detroit so I'm sure they've built houses and had the billboards everywhere.
Your local illuminated sign enthusiast

Signs Im looking for: CA only; 1, 2, 14, 118, 134, 170, 210 (CA), and any california city illuminated sign.

Alex

Quote from: bulkyorled on May 02, 2012, 09:09:30 AM
Quote from: Alex on May 02, 2012, 09:01:38 AM

Is it possibly KB Homes? Kaufman & Broad.
I see their signs constantly in Lancaster & Palmdale, CA. They're based in LA but once in Detroit so I'm sure they've built houses and had the billboards everywhere.

That would be them.

bulkyorled

Oh lookie, a pic from CA 14 North just past Palmdale Blvd  :happy:
Your local illuminated sign enthusiast

Signs Im looking for: CA only; 1, 2, 14, 118, 134, 170, 210 (CA), and any california city illuminated sign.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.