News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

"Traitor" routes

Started by Alps, February 01, 2012, 11:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

At the request of another esteemed forum member, I've been asked to start a thread about "traitor" routes. These are routes that overlap as if there's no problem at all, but then later on one comes back and ends the other one. For example, I was given US 277/83 - they multiplex, and then 277 ends at 83. MA 2A and MA 2 have a concurrency, and then MA 2A ultimately ends at MA 2. I-95 and US 1 are concurrent in MA and CT, and then I-95 ends at US 1 in Florida - this could be the longest distance for "treason." What are some others?

Takumi

VA 249 and VA 33, although 249's non-treasonous end is still while concurrent with 33. I think VA 5 is the same way, but it definitely fits here either way because of its wrong-way overlap with US 60.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

TheStranger

Route 1 and US 101 in California - prior to 1964, Route 1 had both south and north termini at US 101 (once the former Alt US 101 was added then, this was no longer the case).

I-5 and Route 99, the southern terminus is definitively at I-5 and the northern one comes very close, while there is a concurrency in Sacramento between downtown and the suburban Natomas area.

Implied but not signed is Route 193's concurrency along Route 49 in Auburn (after Route 49 junctions with I-80), 193 makes an L shaped loop before ending at Route 49 north of Placerville.

---

Outside of California, the obvious example is I-90 and I-94 (two concurrencies, with I-94 having its west terminus at I-90 in Billings).
Chris Sampang

bulldog1979

US 23 and I-75 are concurrent here in Michigan from the Flint area to Standish, and US 23 terminates at I-75 in Mackinaw City.

US 41 and US 141 are concurrent from Howard to Abrams in Wisconsin, and US 141 terminates at US 41 in Covington Township, Michigan.

M-35 is concurrent with US 41 (and US 2) between Escanaba and Gladstone; both termini for M-35 are located at intersections with US 41 in Menominee and Marquette.

M-26 is concurrent with US 41 over the Portage Canal Lift Bridge between Houghton and Hancock, and from Calumet to Phoenix. The northern terminus for M-26 is at US 41 in Copper Harbor.

M-72 and M-22 are concurrent in Traverse City to the county line; M-72 terminates in Empire at an intersection with M-22.

OracleUsr

US 64  and US 264 in North Carolina.  They're overlapped from I-440 to Zebulon, where 264 turns southeast towards Greenville.  Later, at Mann's Harbor, US 264 ends at US 64.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

xonhulu

US 287 and US 89 share asphalt through Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks, then separate through Montana until 287 ends on 89 in Choteau.  Not sure this one counts, though, as technically no highways are signed north of Moran; the only signs indicating the concurrency are at the junction itself:

prenatt1166

I'm not sure if this counts because the west end PA 27 is technically at Park Ave (old US 6 & 19) in Meadville, however it is clearly signed all the way to US 6 & 19 on the French Creek Parkway.   Further east, PA 27 and US 6 run together for a few miles from Pittsfield to Youngsville.

Alps

Here's another. US 13 and US 1 through Philly, then 13 ends at 1 to the north.

Scott5114

I-90 and I-94 is where my mind went pretty much immediately.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hbelkins

Plenty of state/state and state/US examples in Kentucky, but we have a couple of US/US examples.

US 62 and US 68 (co-routed in Maysville, 68 ends at 62 in Paducah).

And then there's US 60 and US 460. They are together for a block in Mt. Sterling, but 460 ends at 60 on both ends (Frankfort, KY and also in Virginia).

Think there was a similar thread in M.T.R. at some point in the past that was also called "traitor routes."

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NE2

One could also call these incestuous routes. US 1 begets I-95 in Miami and then the two get to know each other in the Northeast. They even go the "wrong way" once in Massachusetts.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hbelkins

Quote from: xonhulu on February 02, 2012, 12:03:06 AM
US 287 and US 89 share asphalt through Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks, then separate through Montana until 287 ends on 89 in Choteau.  Not sure this one counts, though, as technically no highways are signed north of Moran; the only signs indicating the concurrency are at the junction itself:

When did these signs get posted in the national park? I didn't think any of the routes were signed there and technically the routes had a gap in them.

Plus, I note the change of direction of US 26 from E-W to N-S.

NE2

Those signs are in Grand Teton. There's none in Yellowstone.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hbelkins

Just thought of another -- US 27 and US 127. They are together in Cincinnati, yet US 127 ends at US 27 just north of downtown Chattanooga.

formulanone

US 441 and US 41 share the same road from Lake City to High Springs, Florida...but 441 ends at 41 in Miami (not that US 41 "lasts" much longer).

InterstateNG

Quote from: hbelkins on February 02, 2012, 01:56:00 PM
Just thought of another -- US 27 and US 127. They are together in Cincinnati, yet US 127 ends at US 27 just north of downtown Chattanooga.

And that example used to be traitorous at either terminus for 127 before 27 was truncated at Fort Wayne.
I demand an apology.

pianocello

I-94 and I-694, but as far as I know, 694 is only signed inbound through the concurrency.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: pianocello on February 02, 2012, 05:59:08 PM
I-94 and I-694, but as far as I know, 694 is only signed inbound through the concurrency.
It's signed both ways, at least on reassurance markers. There may be onramps where you see 94/694 east but only 94 west.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

The High Plains Traveler

Waaaay back, U.S. 101 in Washington spawned U.S. 410, then looped around the Olympic Peninsula and ended on that route. When Washington extended U.S. 12 across the state and eliminated 410, this ceased to exist. 101 now extends to I-5 at Olympia, which is the route from which it begins in Los Angeles.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

NE2

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on February 02, 2012, 07:06:56 PM
Waaaay back, U.S. 101 in Washington spawned U.S. 410, then looped around the Olympic Peninsula and ended on that route.
Nope. The 1927 log clearly has US 101 ending in Olympia (presumably at US 99).

Revive 755

I-70 and I-64 for about two more years.

Quillz

US-26 used to begin in Astoria, concurrent with US-101 before ending at the US-30 junction. This concurrent was ultimately pointless, so I believe it was 2004 it was redefined to begin farther south in Seaside.

And while it doesn't quite fit the description, CA-18 and CA-138 are a bit awkward. The western terminus of CA-18 is at CA-138, while the eastern terminus of CA-138 is at CA-18. If you look at a map of CA-18, you'll see it's a very strange route altogether: does not have a clear orientation, has a concurrency with I-15 and then ultimately turns back on itself southeast to enter the San Bernadino Mountains, which is where it meets the route it began at.

empirestate

NY 32 and US 4 very nearly do this, as do NY 5 and US 20 (the first ends one route too far, and the second one route too short)...I've got to imagine this is quite common actually; not sure I follow the "traitor" epithet?? (My shortcoming, not the thread's, I am sure.)

jdb1234

US 231 and US 431:

They are multiplexed from Fayetteville, TN to just south of downtown Huntsville.  In Dothan, US 431 ends at US 231.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Quillz on February 02, 2012, 08:47:59 PM

And while it doesn't quite fit the description, CA-18 and CA-138 are a bit awkward. The western terminus of CA-18 is at CA-138, while the eastern terminus of CA-138 is at CA-18. If you look at a map of CA-18, you'll see it's a very strange route altogether: does not have a clear orientation, has a concurrency with I-15 and then ultimately turns back on itself southeast to enter the San Bernadino Mountains, which is where it meets the route it began at.

the original CA-18 was even more wacky, as it was all of what is described above except a brief segment west of I-15... but then generally followed what is now state route 91 all the way out to the coast!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.