News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

"Generic" City Limit Signs

Started by thenetwork, February 27, 2012, 02:06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenetwork

You see them every once in a while tooling around the country... Generic "Welcome To [YOUR TOWN'S NAME]..." signs.

These are signs not created nor limited to a specific county or state, but are available to anyone who wishes to display them in their city.

I know there are/have been many variations of these generic signs over the years, and just want to see if we can create a pictorial list of these generic signs and how many cities use them.  In addition, anyone know what company(s) created & sold these generic signs?

In the case of the Welcome to Rifle (CO) sign, I have seen this sign design in colors of red and blue, but unsure of where.  I also remember another style of generic sign which had a green background, with black & white silhouettes of trees, buildings and a water tower with a Welcome To or Entering [CITY NAME] above the city scene.

Just how many of these signs are out there???

NE2

Is that supposed to be a book (like Massachusetts's signs)?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

thenetwork

Here's another example of the sign above:

formulanone

In the South, the race seems to be on to make every town limits with 2000+ residents look as if you've entered a subdivision or country club.

tdindy88

I have made a habit of collecting as many of these city limit signs for various communities in Indiana and surrounding states, and among them I found only one, for New Market, Indiana, that matches your description, except for the sign is green. Since I have never been good at posting pictures on here, I found the Google Maps link to the location of the sign.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=New+Market,+IN&hl=en&ll=39.952451,-86.929493&spn=0.034214,0.084543&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=35.90509,86.572266&hnear=New+Market,+Montgomery,+Indiana&t=m&z=14&layer=c&cbll=39.952422,-86.929722&panoid=GLVPNuxj-qh9MWOWcbobfA&cbp=12,140,,0,0

realjd

Quote from: formulanone on February 27, 2012, 04:55:27 PM
In the South, the race seems to be on to make every town limits with 2000+ residents look as if you've entered a subdivision or country club.

Also, the state of South Carolina for drivers heading north from Georgia on I-95.

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: NE2 on February 27, 2012, 02:23:51 PM
I think it's based on a windshield bug splat (albeit with a plane of symmetry).
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

Hot Rod Hootenanny

This one might qualify for "Best of Road Signs"

Fulton, Ohio (Morrow County)
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

corco

I can say with reasonable certainty that there are none in the entire states of Washington or Wyoming. In all my driving, I've only come across one that I can remember, in Parks Louisiana.

kphoger

Though not a city limit sign......
This sign came to mind.  It's the town I grew up in from fourth grade through high school–Atwood, Kansas.
The sign says: Atwood, KS / Where people care.

When I was living there, some youth added 'ABOUT FOOTBALL' after the message.  If you lived there, you must admit it was true; if you were from there, you were darned proud of the football team.  Heck, Pizza Hut closed down on Friday nights because everybody was at the football game.  But, to those of us who were outsiders, it was freaking hilarious.

http://g.co/maps/bdbpn
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

RJ145

You know, in all my years living here I never realized that those signs were supposed to look like books

Alps

Quote from: RJ145 on February 28, 2012, 08:18:02 PM

You know, in all my years living here I never realized that those signs were supposed to look like books

Not certain they are. Unfortunately I don't remember which pages have my other old town line signs.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

bugo

They are, or used to be, all over Oklahoma.  I haven't noticed any in a while but next time I go on a trip along state highways I'll keep my eyes open for them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.