News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

13-state road trip

Started by hbelkins, June 28, 2012, 01:48:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

My wife will be embarking on a 13-state trip in August. I need to start making preliminary arrangements, routing suggestions, etc. for her now.

From Kentucky she's headed to Catoosa, OK (IN, IL, MO and OK). From there she will be going to Memphis (AR, TN). After Memphis, she's headed for Atlanta (MS, AL, GA). Then it's on to Portsmouth, VA (SC, NC, VA). From there she will head home (WV).

Some questions about various parts of the trip follow:

KY-OK
Is she better off going through St. Louis on I-64 to I-44, or going around on I-255 to I-270 to I-44?

OK-TN
She will probably be staying somewhere on the east side of Memphis. Will she be better off entering Tennessee on I-40 or I-55?

TN-GA
Every routing service I've consulted indicates US 78 to Birmingham and then I-20 east to Atlanta as the best route. US 78 of course, is future I-22 but the connection to I-65 is not yet finished. My wife doesn't share my sense of direction. At the end of the existing freeway in Alabama, is the connection to US 78 and the interstate system well-signed?

GA-VA
Best route indicated is I-85 north to US 58. Where are the speedtraps on US 58 in southeastern Virginia?

Any recommendations on places she should stay in the Portsmouth area, or places to avoid?

She's not a big fan of long bridges or tunnels under the waterway. Suggestions for a return route to Kentucky? I'd recommend she bite the bullet and take I-664 to I-64, but she may not want to. Having driven US 460 from the Tidewater area to Petersburg, I'm not crazy about it either, but I guess she could do US 460 across to Roanoke and then either head for I-64 or continue southwest on I-81 and then use Alt 58 and 23 back to Kentucky.

Other general suggestions about this trip would be appreciated.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alex

Quote from: hbelkins on June 28, 2012, 01:48:07 PM
My wife will be embarking on a 13-state trip in August. I need to start making preliminary arrangements, routing suggestions, etc. for her now.

From Kentucky she's headed to Catoosa, OK (IN, IL, MO and OK). From there she will be going to Memphis (AR, TN). After Memphis, she's headed for Atlanta (MS, AL, GA). Then it's on to Portsmouth, VA (SC, NC, VA). From there she will head home (WV).

KY-OK
Is she better off going through St. Louis on I-64 to I-44, or going around on I-255 to I-270 to I-44?

There were lane closures on I-64/U.S. 40 at the double deck freeway section that narrowed the mainline to just one lane in May. This was even underway during the morning commute. I-44 was devoid of road work when we drove it last month.

OK-TN
She will probably be staying somewhere on the east side of Memphis. Will she be better off entering Tennessee on I-40 or I-55?

There is work on I-55 at Exit 9 where the freeway narrows to two lanes per direction with jersey barriers on each side. Probably would opt for I-40.

TN-GA
Every routing service I've consulted indicates US 78 to Birmingham and then I-20 east to Atlanta as the best route. US 78 of course, is future I-22 but the connection to I-65 is not yet finished. My wife doesn't share my sense of direction. At the end of the existing freeway in Alabama, is the connection to US 78 and the interstate system well-signed?

Signs indicate "All US 78 Thru Traffic Must Exit" at Exit 85 (U.S. 78/Birmingham). Continue onward and you get a yellow "Local Traffic Only - No Trucks". The most efficient way to get to the Interstate system is to remain on Future I-22 to the end and navigate southward on CR-77 to Daniel Payne Dr/41st Avenue North to I-65. But signs do not direct one to I-65 that way, so you'll need to give detailed directions on that. As for Exit 85, you are looking at traffic light arterial southeast to I-20/59 via U.S. 78. Not sure if there are trailblazers at the end of the off-ramp, but certainly none are posted on the freeway mainline.

rte66man

<snip>

OK-TN

Way better on I40.  Was just through Memphis two weeks ago. Smooth sailing all the way from West Memphis to Bartlett (east side). Plenty of hotels and eateries to choose from there as well.

I would be more concerned with the I40 piece between Little Rock and Memphis. The White River bridge at DeValls Bluff is being rebuilt. Traffic will be backed up in both directions at all times of the day.  You may want to have her detour via US70 at Hazen and rejoin I40 at Biscoe.  Else she can just head straight across from Conway to West Memphis on US64.

rte66man
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

kphoger

KY-OK

From I-64, I recommend taking I-255 South around Saint Louis.  In fact, I came to avoid downtown Saint Louis like the plague.  A few years ago, my delivery job would take me across the river bridge and it was hit-or-miss depending on time of day.  Taking the 255 bypass adds a few miles, but is almost guaranteed to flow at a decnt pace.  Downtown is more scenic, to be sure, but I've had too many bad experiences on I-44 in and around downtown to recommend it.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

Any recommendations on places she should stay in the Portsmouth area, or places to avoid?

After reading some reviews of motels/hotels on TripAdvisor, I'm increasingly concerned about this. Saw more than one reference to "bad part of town," "rough neighborhood," "ghetto" and "crack alley," among others.

Looking for lodging west of the river and the tunnels, on the Portsmouth/Suffolk side, within a short drive to the nTelos Pavilion, as she will be attending a concert there. Prefer that the lodging be reasonably close to dining and shopping.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: hbelkins on June 28, 2012, 08:18:44 PM

After reading some reviews of motels/hotels on TripAdvisor, I'm increasingly concerned about this. Saw more than one reference to "bad part of town," "rough neighborhood," "ghetto" and "crack alley," among others.

Looking for lodging west of the river and the tunnels, on the Portsmouth/Suffolk side, within a short drive to the nTelos Pavilion, as she will be attending a concert there. Prefer that the lodging be reasonably close to dining and shopping.

Portsmouth as a whole should be avoided at all costs. the nTelos Pavilion is close enough to the River that she could easily stay somewhere nice in Norfolk, or even a quick drive down 464 into Chesapeake.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

ftballfan

St. Louis: I-64 -> I-255 -> I-270 -> I-44
Memphis: Enter via I-40
Birmingham: From the end of Future I-22, it's only three miles to I-65, while US-78 from I-22 to I-20 appears to be traffic light hell

adt1982

Yes, she should avoid I-64 through downtown St. Louis.  The double-deck section at the Poplar Street Bridge is still undergoing work and it won't be totally done until at least November. 

1995hoo

Portsmouth has a bad reputation. I can't really give good advice on other places around there because I don't go down that way too often, but I've never heard anyone say anything positive about Portsmouth.

If your wife takes US-460 west instead of I-664, she should be aware that the portion between the Hampton Roads area and I-295 is notorious for speedtraps, especially in the towns. That's a road where it's a good idea to set your cruise control at the speed limit.

BTW, remember than in Virginia you can get a reckless driving ticket for anything over 80 mph regardless of the posted speed limit. So if you're going 81 in a 70-mph zone a cop can give a reckless ticket if he chooses to do so. Reckless driving is a misdemeanor in Virginia, too.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Mapmikey

Portsmouth has had a seedy reputation for a long time...there are a number of areas that should be avoided.

When I worked back shift at the Norfolk Naval Shipyard 20 years ago (just south of the n-Telos PAvillion), I used to drive through downtown Portsmouth to go to the Midtown Tunnel and VA 141 was pretty iffy.  I know the city has tried to revitalize parts of town (including where the pavillion is).

If it were me I would only consider the Renaissance Hotel on the waterfron a few blocks north and only if they have a shuttle that could run her back and forth to the pavillion or if both places have secured private parking.

If that is not suitable, I would suggest the I-664/VA 337 interchange area for lodging...well removed from bad areas as far as I know.

US 460 from Suffolk to Petersburg (which can be used to access I-295 to I-64) is ok.  Of course I am not a speeder at all when off the freeways, but it is true the towns are speed traps...

A thought about routing...if she is comfortable with a touch of mountain crossing driving (unavoidable in Kentucky I would imagine), a routing could be US 460 to Lynchburg, then US 501 across the mountain to US 60 to reach I-64.  US 501 has two sections of mountain crossing - a short one after Boonsboro and a larger one on the VA 130 duplex.  Neither is horrible, I would say.

Mapmikey

deathtopumpkins

An interesting alternative to 460 that everyone seems to forget about is VA 10. It's a lightly traveled 2-lane road between Suffolk and Hopewell (apart from some brief 4-lane stretches), but maintains 55 mph for pretty much the entire length, and has an interesting (for a roadgeek anyway) bypass of Smithfield. It also gets you to 295 slightly farther north than 460 does, without passing through any developed area.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

jdb1234

Quote from: Alex on June 28, 2012, 02:43:54 PM
Signs indicate "All US 78 Thru Traffic Must Exit" at Exit 85 (U.S. 78/Birmingham). Continue onward and you get a yellow "Local Traffic Only - No Trucks". The most efficient way to get to the Interstate system is to remain on Future I-22 to the end and navigate southward on CR-77 to Daniel Payne Dr/41st Avenue North to I-65. But signs do not direct one to I-65 that way, so you'll need to give detailed directions on that. As for Exit 85, you are looking at traffic light arterial southeast to I-20/59 via U.S. 78. Not sure if there are trailblazers at the end of the off-ramp, but certainly none are posted on the freeway mainline.

I've gone from the end of Corridor X to I-65 many times.  From the end of Corridor X turn right on Coalburg Road (CR 77) and Daniel Payne Drive is the first traffic light.  Turn left and go through one traffic light to reach I-65 and take I-65 Southbound to I-20/59.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.