"Highways" that are actually city streets

Started by golden eagle, April 29, 2013, 01:04:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete from Boston

There's both a King's Highway and a Western Highway in the Town of Orangetown, NY.  This is an area that had a fair amount of settlement when it was part of Great Britain, so King's Highway could easily date to that time.  Prior to WWII this area was more rural and they probably had more typical two-lane rural highway character.  Today they are suburban streets tying together residential neighborhoods alongside NY 303 and the Palisades Parkway.

wxfree

In Texas some "Freeway" names apply only to frontage roads and not the main lanes.  While not city streets, the names are from the city.  I think I read somewhere that Texas law allows cities to name frontage roads, but not freeway main lanes.  This may apply only to interstates.  I can't seem to find the law now.  In spite of the technical distinction, there isn't much practical difference, since addresses are based on frontage roads and not freeways.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

Big John

In Madison WI, there is a Seminole Highway which is a city street.

dgolub

On Long Island, there's Montauk Highway (NY 27A/Suffolk CR 85/Suffolk CR 80/NY 27), which is a two- to four-lane road with traffic lights the whole way, and most of it's undivided.  Yes, it goes through nothing short of four different numerical designations over its length.  There's also New Highway (Suffolk CR 28), which is a two-lane undivided road.  Up in Connecticut, there's Kings Highway (US 1) and the Silas Deane Highway (CT 99), which are both local streets.

The High Plains Traveler

"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

signalman

In Newark, NJ there's McCarter Highway.  It's a 4-6 lane arterial, and it often moves far slower than any highway.

jwolfer

I've never been on the road, only seen on maps but it seems that the Bessemer Super Highway near Birmingham is not a super highway.  It seems like it would be lined with old motels, nasty restaurants, trailer parks and lots of independent business women( and men who are dressed like women.)  Not to mention lots of traffic lights

Sort of like OBT( US 441) in Orlando or Philips Hwy( US 1) in Jacksonville.. Am I correct?

agentsteel53

I believe the Bessemer Super Highway was originally built in the 1950s to be similar to California's expressways.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 03, 2013, 04:27:45 PM
I believe the Bessemer Super Highway was originally built in the 1950s to be similar to California's expressways.
To reiterate, if it's a major through road, even if it's not a freeway, the word "highway" is still appropriate. Such as 95% of what's been mentioned on this thread, and that also goes for the Bessemer example. However, this example most certainly is not a "superhighway," which is synonymous with freeway.

NE2

http://www.bhamwiki.com/w/Bessemer_Superhighway
"Due to the shortage of funds prevailing during the Great Depression, the State set aside plans to build large interchanges that would allow for limited freeway access."
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

roadman65

Quote from: signalman on May 03, 2013, 04:00:39 PM
In Newark, NJ there's McCarter Highway.  It's a 4-6 lane arterial, and it often moves far slower than any highway.
McCarter Highway is NJ Route 21 and even though it gets congested, it is a through route through Newark and carries commuters and commerce across the city.

Now in Kissimmee, FL we have a King's Highway that is a short road and a dead end to boot.  It hardly counts as a the definition of a a highway despite its name, but McCarter Highway does.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

signalman

Quote from: roadman65 on May 05, 2013, 07:50:55 PM
McCarter Highway is NJ Route 21 and even though it gets congested, it is a through route through Newark and carries commuters and commerce across the city.

Now in Kissimmee, FL we have a King's Highway that is a short road and a dead end to boot.  It hardly counts as a the definition of a a highway despite its name, but McCarter Highway does.
Right.  In northern Newark and Bellville NJ 21 aka McCarter Highway becomes more like a highway.  But downtown it functions more like a city street; albeit a main one.   

Sorry, I wasn't really clear in my original post.  I'm not always the best at conveying what I want to say in writing. 

roadman65

Quote from: signalman on May 06, 2013, 05:51:41 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on May 05, 2013, 07:50:55 PM

Right.  In northern Newark and Bellville NJ 21 aka McCarter Highway becomes more like a highway.  But downtown it functions more like a city street; albeit a main one.   

Sorry, I wasn't really clear in my original post.  I'm not always the best at conveying what I want to say in writing. 
Don't give it a second thought.  I have the same issues myself.  I have trouble expressing myself into writing and even got criticized here plenty of times for either not making myself clear or giving out a wrong impression to my post.  Do not sweat it.

I do know where you are coming, as McCarter Highway is indeed a city street, but I think for this forum it entails a road functioning as city street with a highway name.  Good catch though, as it is one of the rare cases where a city street has a highway descriptor as you do not see much of that around, especially in a major city.

Sheryl Crowe

pctech

We have the "Acadian thruway" here in Baton Rouge. It's basically a 4 lane at grade city street. Part of it is also LA 427.

Mark

empirestate

Quote from: roadman65 on May 06, 2013, 08:36:55 AM
I do know where you are coming, as McCarter Highway is indeed a city street, but I think for this forum it entails a road functioning as city street with a highway name.  Good catch though, as it is one of the rare cases where a city street has a highway descriptor as you do not see much of that around, especially in a major city.

Taking that viewpoint, the term "West Side Highway" still lingers on for whatever currently happens to be running along the Hudson River shore of Manhattan. Originally that was the Miller Elevated Highway (the one under which the Jets and Sharks rumble in West Side Story), from which the word "highway" derives. Now it's officially called West Street, 11th Avenue and 12th Avenue, which are definitely city streets, and also still very much highway-like.

webfil

The Disraeli Freeway in Winnipeg, MB is the closest thing to a freeway in Manitoba ― not that it is one, but at least it bears the name...
http://goo.gl/maps/vgbHD

roadman65

Quote from: empirestate on May 06, 2013, 10:44:41 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on May 06, 2013, 08:36:55 AM

Taking that viewpoint, the term "West Side Highway" still lingers on for whatever currently happens to be running along the Hudson River shore of Manhattan. Originally that was the Miller Elevated Highway (the one under which the Jets and Sharks rumble in West Side Story), from which the word "highway" derives. Now it's officially called West Street, 11th Avenue and 12th Avenue, which are definitely city streets, and also still very much highway-like.
Poor Joe Dimaggio does not get recognized after being one of the greatest baseball players as those streets were named after him. 

You are right, the West Street, 11th Avenue, and 10th Avenue trio do act as a highway now with the old elevated highway gone. 

Sheryl Crowe

1995hoo

Quote from: webfil on May 06, 2013, 04:40:26 PM
The Disraeli Freeway in Winnipeg, MB is the closest thing to a freeway in Manitoba ― not that it is one, but at least it bears the name...

The key on there is using multiple gears.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Alps

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 07, 2013, 07:54:24 AM

That could put you in a world of pain. You should take it back.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Steve on May 07, 2013, 07:21:50 PM

that's all well and good, but I demand to see a subtle reference to Tales of Brave Ulysses worked into an otherwise unrelated sentence.

jake@aaroads.com

1995hoo

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 07, 2013, 07:23:13 PM
Quote from: Steve on May 07, 2013, 07:21:50 PM

that's all well and good, but I demand to see a subtle reference to Tales of Brave Ulysses worked into an otherwise unrelated sentence.

I think we're going wrong in this thread.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Avalanchez71

There are a number of streets in a subdivision around the Beech Grove, TN area that are named Pikes.  Such as Nashville Pike, Franklin Pike, and Kennesaw Pike.  It appears that the names of the streets are all named after the Civil War.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Beechgrove,+TN&hl=en&ll=35.648927,-86.131525&spn=0.030584,0.066047&sll=35.65367,-86.125023&sspn=0.015221,0.033023&oq=beec&hnear=Beechgrove,+Coffee,+Tennessee&t=m&z=15

ChoralScholar

Quote from: NE2 on April 29, 2013, 08:50:16 AM
holy crap Interstate 99 isn't interstate

I see what you did there.   :clap:
"Turn down... on the blue road...."

ChoralScholar

Quote from: wxfree on April 30, 2013, 04:53:17 PM
In Texas some "Freeway" names apply only to frontage roads and not the main lanes.  While not city streets, the names are from the city.  I think I read somewhere that Texas law allows cities to name frontage roads, but not freeway main lanes.  This may apply only to interstates.  I can't seem to find the law now.  In spite of the technical distinction, there isn't much practical difference, since addresses are based on frontage roads and not freeways.

There are quite a few addresses in the DFW Metroplex that are listed as XXXXX LBJ Expressway - obviously referring to the frontage road, and not I-635 itself.
"Turn down... on the blue road...."

agentsteel53

Quote from: ChoralScholar on July 01, 2013, 06:00:03 PM

There are quite a few addresses in the DFW Metroplex that are listed as XXXXX LBJ Expressway - obviously referring to the frontage road, and not I-635 itself.

one of the most baffling and infuriating "features" of an older TomTom GPS map set was that "Pacific Hwy" was the frontage road to "Pacific Highway" here in San Diego.  yeah, that made finding things easy.

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.