News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takumi

Yeah, I meant to ask HB it it was there when he went to finish US 60 in Virginia then. I wonder why the prevalence of error shields on these is even higher than VDOT's normal rate. I've only seen one non-US one with the correct shield.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Alex

agentsteel53

Quote from: Steve on November 26, 2012, 07:13:42 PM
Quote from: Kniwt on November 26, 2012, 05:46:35 PM
Installed recently on San Antonio Road in Palo Alto, Calif.:

Don't tell anyone about it. I'll be there next year. Meet me there with bolt cutters.

why?  it's '70 spec neutered.  that right there is the real error.  this sign was far more interesting.

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Kacie Jane

Quote from: agentsteel53 on December 07, 2012, 11:38:29 AM
why?  it's '70 spec neutered.  that right there is the real error.  this sign was far more interesting.

Your tax dollars working hard to bring you this quality sign.  I feel like every time I look at it, I find something else wrong with it.

mefailenglish

I drove past this in Miami, FL a while back.  It took me longer than it should to figure out why it didn't look right.

Alps

That last one brings to mind this at a freeway exit in NJ - yes, it's a standard RIRO, no fancy left maneuvers.

mjb2002

Quote from: PurdueBill on November 02, 2012, 11:05:11 PM
Quote from: Roadgeek2500 on November 02, 2012, 10:09:40 PM
Oh, and if you have one, I would like to see one of the blank shields with the arrow inside it.

...and another from the same town on the US 250 page...

I am just cracking up now. An arrow inside of an interstate shield. Wow.  :-D

jp the roadgeek

Saw a couple of NJ style shield on MA 9 today.  One westbound just before the Connecticut River bridge in Hadley, and the other just before Downtown Northampton.  Here's a link to one of them:

http://goo.gl/maps/7UJmB

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

cpzilliacus

Incorrect  Va. 286 (secondary, not primary with "286" in Clearview font as a bonus) on Fair Lakes Parkway at Fairfax County Parkway in Fairfax (sorry for the repeated use of the string "Fair"):

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

agentsteel53

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on December 13, 2012, 12:20:40 AM
Saw a couple of NJ style shield on MA 9 today.  One westbound just before the Connecticut River bridge in Hadley, and the other just before Downtown Northampton.  Here's a link to one of them:

http://goo.gl/maps/7UJmB

I believe there are several circle 9s in Boston: on Huntington Avenue near Northeastern University.

jake@aaroads.com

Jim

I always just figured the Massachusetts signs with circles were just an old style (though I make no claim that I'm right).  Here's one from Route 2, taken in 2002 in Concord:

Also from 2002, Goshen:

From 2009 in Hadley:

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

agentsteel53

nope, Mass has always been a square.

jake@aaroads.com

Takumi

Quote from: cpzilliacus on December 13, 2012, 10:01:11 AM
Incorrect  Va. 286
At first I thought the text may have been patched onto a 7100 shield, but there appears to be no evidence of that, as the patches for the new routes (at least on I-95) are blatantly visible.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Takumi on December 13, 2012, 05:22:31 PM
Incorrect  Va. 286
At first I thought the text may have been patched onto a 7100 shield, but there appears to be no evidence of that, as the patches for the new routes (at least on I-95) are blatantly visible.

No, the panel is brand-new (as in post-Va. 7100).  And yes, the patches are quite visible on the BGS panels on I-66 and Va. 267 as well.

When I snapped that image, the contractor was putting the finishing touches on the new Va. 286 bridge (which is now carrying motorized traffic across Fair Lakes Parkway - VDOT press release here).  This new interchange is just north of the I-66/Va. 286 interchange in Fairfax County.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

1995hoo

Incorrect  Va. 286

That interchange in Fair Lakes is new–been the site of a construction project for the last several years to have the Fairfax County Parkway fly over Fair Lakes Parkway and Monument Drive (used to be ordinary traffic lights). So the sign ought to be brand-new as well.

My brother works around the corner from there. I ought to ask him how much of a difference it's making. He certainly grumbled about all the detours during the construction.....

Edited to add: How the hell did I miss cpzilliacus's post from 25 minutes earlier that basically said the same thing I just said????? Somehow I looked at it and COMPLETELY MISSED IT.   :ded:
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

WillWeaverRVA

Incorrect  Va. 286

Surprised you didn't point out the blatant misuse of Clearview... ;)
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

cpzilliacus

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on December 13, 2012, 06:09:49 PM
Incorrect  Va. 286

Surprised you didn't point out the blatant misuse of Clearview... ;)

I did.  :-)

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 13, 2012, 05:55:14 PM
Edited to add: How the hell did I miss cpzilliacus's post from 25 minutes earlier that basically said the same thing I just said????? Somehow I looked at it and COMPLETELY MISSED IT.   :ded:

Nothing wrong with that. 

I suspect everyone has done that - even before the widespread use of computers (and I've been using computers pretty well continuously since the 1970's and  have been missing things pre- and post-computer).

I am old enough to have worked with 80-column punched cards - trying to find mistakes on those was a painful undertaking.

Michael

I cringed a bit after seeing that 286 sign.  EVERYTHING is in Clearview!

Central Avenue

Quote from: agentsteel53 on December 13, 2012, 12:16:16 PM
Well, you know what they say: It's hip to be square!

Also, yet again, I seem to be the only person in existence who likes Clearview.
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Central Avenue on December 14, 2012, 04:59:05 AM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on December 13, 2012, 12:16:16 PM
Well, you know what they say: It's hip to be square!

Also, yet again, I seem to be the only person in existence who likes Clearview.

I don't mind Clearview for control cities/place names on sign panels.

In my opinion, the rules not allowing Clearview for route numbers is correct.

spooky

Quote from: Jim on December 13, 2012, 12:10:32 PM
I always just figured the Massachusetts signs with circles were just an old style (though I make no claim that I'm right). 

I always figured it was lazy contractors.

Here's one on Route 27 in Sharon.

http://goo.gl/maps/yDJ4g

PHLBOS

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on December 13, 2012, 12:20:40 AM
Saw a couple of NJ style shield on MA 9 today.  One westbound just before the Connecticut River bridge in Hadley, and the other just before Downtown Northampton.
In Salem, MA at the intersection of Lafayette & New Derby Streets, there were one or two MA 1A signs in the generic MUTCD circle (a la NJ or DE) that were erected during the 1980s when the adjacent traffic signal was erected.  I think the one for southbound 1A (along Lafayette St. is still there).

In Rochdale (Leicester), MA at the intersection of MA 56 and Stafford St.: not only are there generic MUTCD circle MA 56 shields but the LGS' are of the generic MUTCD type for guidance signs as opposed to the Massachusetts standard paddle-style LGS'.  These were erected a few years ago as part of a traffic signalization project.

Along MA 24 & 79 southbound, just after the Exit 7 'split'; there used to be a couple of generic circular trailblazer MA 24 & 79 shields erected erected sometime during the late 70s/early 80s.  Note sure if those are still there?

GPS does NOT equal GOD

StogieGuy7

Yes, there are a few Massachusetts state highways are marked with a circle rather than a square.  It's not common, yet there are such signs scattered around the state.  I've seen some on Route 2 in the Concord area (if they're still there).   

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.