News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Greetings from Oregon and a few questions

Started by Hurricane Rex, December 04, 2017, 12:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hurricane Rex

Hello, my name is Tanis Leach and although I've been paying attention to this forum since exactly 8/12/15 (by browser history), I just joined.

I have 5 questions though:

1. My profile picture/avatar image is currently a little choppy and I don't know if that is acceptable or not, so in addition to the size limit, are there any other regulations on images in your profile?

2.  I want to make useful and informational contributions but in addition: Is humor occasionally allowed?

3.  Are you allowed to make posts at the bottom or top of your message like (1000th post) for the memory book?

4.  How do you quote something from another website?

5.  I don't know if I should revive the Oregon Transportation Package topic or start a new one with the following situation: I want to continue on that subject however with a suggestion on improving the package and asking for others opinion. A poll on the current package could be added.

Thank you
Tanis Leach
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

freebrickproductions

Welcome from Huntsville, AL, Tannis!

To answer three of your questions:
2. Yes, kinda? Hard to say, but occasional humor is allowed, as long as it doesn't go too far, from my observation.

4. Just use the quote brackets, and copy-paste the text from the website you want to quote between them like so:

[quote="website"]
Pasted text.
[/quote]

or

[quote]
Pasted text.
[/quote]

And I'd personally recommend putting a link to the website you got the text from to make it easier to reference, either above or below the quoted text.

5. I'd say go ahead, especially if you have new and/or relevant info to add to the thread.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

nexus73

Hello to the man from the home of the Bowmen!  I live down on the south coast in the Coos Bay area.  Not as much going on down here as there is up there, so I look forward to your posts regarding construction, plans and so on!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Hurricane Rex

Thank you very much to the warm welcome.

Quote from: freebrickproductions on December 04, 2017, 04:35:49 AM
5. I'd say go ahead, especially if you have new and/or relevant info to add to the thread.

Don't know if that means start a new topic or revive the old one. Can you elaborate?

Running till I die.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on December 04, 2017, 07:02:23 PM
Thank you very much to the warm welcome.

Quote from: freebrickproductions on December 04, 2017, 04:35:49 AM

Don't know if that means start a new topic or revive the old one. Can you elaborate?
I was basically saying revive the old one, especially if you have new and/or relevant info to add to the thread.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Alex

Welcome to the board!

Don't see any issues with the questions you posted. The avatar image dimensions are set by SMF. For signatures, the limits are 500 Width by 100 Height.

Please review the Forum Guidelines if you have any other questions.

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on December 04, 2017, 12:29:27 AM
Hello, my name is Tanis Leach and although I've been paying attention to this forum since exactly 8/12/15 (by browser history), I just joined.

I have 5 questions though:

1. My profile picture/avatar image is currently a little choppy and I don't know if that is acceptable or not, so in addition to the size limit, are there any other regulations on images in your profile?

2.  I want to make useful and informational contributions but in addition: Is humor occasionally allowed?

3.  Are you allowed to make posts at the bottom or top of your message like (1000th post) for the memory book?

5.  I don't know if I should revive the Oregon Transportation Package topic or start a new one with the following situation: I want to continue on that subject however with a suggestion on improving the package and asking for others opinion. A poll on the current package could be added.

Thank you
Tanis Leach

Hurricane Rex

Thank you Alex and Frederick. I greatly appreciate it.  :bigass:

Running till I die.

kphoger

Humor is definitely allowed.  Snarky humor is what gets people riled up on here (and I am regrettably one of the biggest offenders), so more lighthearted and benign humor would probably be welcome.  I should also make the observation that people appreciate keeping a healthy ratio of information to humor; that is, people can overlook a lot if you're actually also posting meaningful stuff, whereas they're quick to jump on you (and rightly so) if humor is all you're contributing.

I type the code string manually for this.  Let me use the Illinois Vehicle Code as an example.

Quote from: 625 ILCS 5/11-1505.1Persons riding bicycles or motorized pedal cycles upon a roadway shall not ride more than 2 abreast, except on paths or parts of roadways set aside for their exclusive use. Persons riding 2 abreast shall not impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic and, on a laned roadway, shall ride within a single lane subject to the provisions of Section 11-1505.

For this, I manually typed...
[quote=625 ILCS 5/11-1505.1]
...then pasted the pertinent text from the webpage, then manually typed...
[/quote]

Whatever you type after [.quote= appears as your source.  I don't know of any way to make that clickable as a hyperlink so, if you want people to be able to go to your source, you should include that in the body of the text.  To do that, I manually type as well...
[url=http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs4.asp?DocName=062500050HCh%2E+11+Art%2E+XV&ActID=1815&ChapterID=49&SeqStart=134500000&SeqEnd=136550000]Full text here[/url]
...which displays...
Full text here

Putting them together, then:

Quote from: 625 ILCS 5/11-1505.1Persons riding bicycles or motorized pedal cycles upon a roadway shall not ride more than 2 abreast, except on paths or parts of roadways set aside for their exclusive use. Persons riding 2 abreast shall not impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic and, on a laned roadway, shall ride within a single lane subject to the provisions of Section 11-1505.
Full text here
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

adventurernumber1

A big welcome from northwestern Georgia!  :wave:

I am David, and I will see you around on the forum.  :nod:

Thank you very much for that tutorial, kphoger!

I knew how to insert a quote (as well as quote a post itself), but I had no idea how to list a source and such.

That is very helpful!!  :nod:  :thumbsup:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

SD Mapman

Welcome from the absolute middle of nowhere!

Also, running... yeah.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Jadhostgamer072

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.