Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

formulanone

Who likes Courier and New Courier? Because I have one of them in Navasota, Texas!

TBKS1

Quote from: formulanone on January 18, 2018, 07:01:47 PM
Who likes Courier and New Courier? Because I have one of them in Navasota, Texas!

I actually kind of like that. It looks pretty different and unique at the same time.  :D
I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

cjk374

Quote from: TBKS1 on January 18, 2018, 08:57:16 PM
Quote from: formulanone on January 18, 2018, 07:01:47 PM

I actually kind of like that. It looks pretty different and unique at the same time.  :D

Is that a reference marker for a county road below the shield?
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

formulanone

Quote from: cjk374 on January 19, 2018, 08:25:39 AM
Quote from: TBKS1 on January 18, 2018, 08:57:16 PM

Is that a reference marker for a county road below the shield?

I think it's to denote block and building numbers for addresses.

freebrickproductions

How about Series F on an I-65 shield? Saw this last night on I-65 in Tennessee while heading home from Lebanon, TN, but it was too dark to get a picture:
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.8055459,-86.8506499,3a,15y,232.01h,87.18t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1splTsjyBL8WR-Nl5_LCVIIQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

PHLBOS

GPS does NOT equal GOD

US 89

Quote from: freebrickproductions on January 20, 2018, 02:48:31 PM
How about Series F on an I-65 shield? Saw this last night on I-65 in Tennessee while heading home from Lebanon, TN, but it was too dark to get a picture:
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.8055459,-86.8506499,3a,15y,232.01h,87.18t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1splTsjyBL8WR-Nl5_LCVIIQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Reminds me of this awful I-15 shield in Cedar City. The worst part is that it replaced a button-copy sign, visible in some of the older GSVs.

formulanone

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 22, 2018, 01:36:35 PM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on January 20, 2018, 02:48:31 PM
Looks more like Series E.
Quote from: roadguy2 on January 22, 2018, 05:40:33 PM
Reminds me of this awful I-15 shield in Cedar City. The worst part is that it replaced a button-copy sign, visible in some of the older GSVs.

There's a few like that on I-75 through Alligator Alley:

thenetwork

jakeroot

This one has been installed for several years. A red-on-white keep-right object marker/chevron (MUTCD OM3-L): https://goo.gl/3JD9ST

As far as I can tell, it was installed by the city of Mercer Island, Washington.

TBKS1

No Parking Through Stadium Events by TBKS1, on Flickr

No Parking Through Stadium Events by TBKS1, on Flickr

I saw this in Central Little Rock earlier today, and yes this is pretty close to War Memorial Stadium, but I thought this was pretty interesting.

Also, I'll add this in too. Bus Route Sign Salad anyone?

Bus Route Sign Salad by TBKS1, on Flickr

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

Max Rockatansky

Santa Clara County seems to want everyone to think that CA 130 reaches I-5 and signs San Antonio Valley and Del Puerte Road to the Stanislaus County line.  The shields that are posted suffice to say are really unique.

130CAf by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

130CAg by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

130CAh by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

TBKS1

I should probably add this too.

Reserved Parking Sign (Cut in Half) by TBKS1, on Flickr

Yes, that's a reserved parking sign, and yes, it's been cut in half. I found this in the middle of Pinnacle Mountain State Park a few days ago.

jakeroot

Quote from: TBKS1 on January 30, 2018, 01:00:37 AM

https://flic.kr/p/JTPWQz

Yes, that's a reserved parking sign, and yes, it's been cut in half. I found this in the middle of Pinnacle Mountain State Park a few days ago.

I think that's more appropriate for our 'Vandalised Signs' thread.

TBKS1

Quote from: jakeroot on January 30, 2018, 01:34:32 AM
Quote from: TBKS1 on January 30, 2018, 01:00:37 AM

https://flic.kr/p/JTPWQz

I think that's more appropriate for our 'Vandalised Signs' thread.

I'll put it there too!

formulanone

Not sure where to put this one...it's just a mile marker near Grove Hill, Alabama. Street View

But why is it mile 576?

This on the ramp from southbound US 43 to US 84. But US 43 isn't even that long a route. Here's mile marker 577, so it's not part of US 84. It's definitely not 576/577 miles from its terminus, and it's not a conversion from kilometers. Roughly 79 miles away, there's Mile Marker 1 in Pritchard.

Is this part of a longer route I'm not aware of?

cl94

Quote from: formulanone on January 30, 2018, 06:22:10 PM
Not sure where to put this one...it's just a mile marker near Grove Hill, Alabama.

But why is it mile 576?

No. ALDOT uses 500 as a countdown mile marker if extensions are proposed and construction does not begin at the south/west end, as the final length is not known. This allows them to renumber all at once when the highway is complete. They have a few weird things like this. Don't know what this references, though, as neither 43 nor 84 use countdown markers.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

formulanone

Quote from: cl94 on January 30, 2018, 07:00:53 PM
Quote from: formulanone on January 30, 2018, 06:22:10 PM
Not sure where to put this one...it's just a mile marker near Grove Hill, Alabama.

But why is it mile 576?

No. ALDOT uses 500 as a countdown mile marker if extensions are proposed and construction does not begin at the south/west end, as the final length is not known. This allows them to renumber all at once when the highway is complete. They have a few weird things like this. Don't know what this references, though, as neither 43 nor 84 use countdown markers.

Makes sense. I'd just remove the mile markers in that area, as I don't think anyone would notice in a vaguely-populated area.

Do any other states do something similar?

theline

^^ When Indiana opened the first new section of I-69 in southwestern Indiana, they replaced the mile markers north of Indianapolis, adding 200 to each one. No one knew if that would turn out to be the exact mileage, because the exact route between Crane and Indianapolis had not yet been determined. They figured 200 was close enough. Perhaps they will renumber after the entire route is done or maybe not.

TBKS1

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

jakeroot

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

formulanone

Quote from: TBKS1 on February 09, 2018, 01:17:02 AM
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.1141922,-103.1178707,3a,15y,108.9h,87.61t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sNOUzvyZN86icn6GuljejyA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I find this weird because it's not very close to the Canada border. This is in Rapid City, South Dakota.

I haven't been to the Dakotas, but it's also unusual to find a regulatory speed limit sign on a ramp.

Quote from: freebrickproductions on February 09, 2018, 02:12:56 AM
It's not even the FHWA's standard for a metric speed limit sign:

I've never seen that variety in the field. The example above is closer to what I've seen, although still quite rare.

So there's no exact standard for dual units in the United States.

J N Winkler

There are multiple dual-units speed limit signs in western South Dakota around Rapid City and the tourist belt down to the Nebraska state line and east to Badlands National Park.  They were there when I first visited in 2000 and I suspect they far pre-dated the Millennium MUTCD, which introduced the metric signing option.  My guess is that they are an experiment by a SDDOT district and have nothing to do with proximity to the Canadian border, though the Sturgis motorcycle rally does attract numerous bikers with license plates from Canadian provinces.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.