News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

General NBA thread

Started by Roadgeekteen, December 27, 2018, 10:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry

Quote from: Life in Paradise on February 16, 2024, 12:36:11 PM
Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on February 15, 2024, 06:55:05 AM
NBA All-Star game/week is next week in Indianapolis. Wonder if it will actually be watchable this year.
Actually the NBA All-Star game is this weekend in Indianapolis with festivities Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.  Since outside perhaps the up and comers game there will be no real basketball played until Thursday of next week,  I'm enjoying the time off of watching my favorite sport.  Streaming catch up, here I come!
And for the first time since 2017, it'll be the traditional East vs. West format. Also, I'm waiting to see if Drew Carey shows up at the game, just like I did with Bob Barker before him. (because, you know, TPIR?)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Ted$8roadFan

The skills competition, 3-point contest, Stephen Curry v. Sabrina Ionesco and the Dunk Contest of All-Star Weekend were last night. Not bad overall. Hopefully, the game itself will be more watchable this year.

The Ghostbuster

What an All-Star Game! The West won 211 to 186 (the previous record for most points is 196). It's also not too far away from the highest scoring basketball game in NBA History: The Detroit Pistons defeated the Denver Nuggets 186-184 in triple overtime at McNichols Arena in Denver, Colorado on December 3, 1983 (about 10 months before I was born). My favorite player Lebron James only scored 8 points in 13 minutes and 48 seconds of playing time and he didn't play in the second half. Congratulations to Milwaukee Bucks star Damian Lillard for winning the MVP award with 39 points, although if the West had won, Karl Anthony-Towns would have gotten the MVP award as he scored 50 points.

KCRoadFan

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 18, 2024, 11:24:49 PM
What an All-Star Game! The West won 211 to 186 (the previous record for most points is 196). It's also not too far away from the highest scoring basketball game in NBA History: The Detroit Pistons defeated the Denver Nuggets 186-184 in triple overtime at McNichols Arena in Denver, Colorado on December 3, 1983 (about 10 months before I was born). My favorite player Lebron James only scored 8 points in 13 minutes and 48 seconds of playing time and he didn't play in the second half. Congratulations to Milwaukee Bucks star Damian Lillard for winning the MVP award with 39 points, although if the West had won, Karl Anthony-Towns would have gotten the MVP award as he scored 50 points.

If only that 1983 game had gone to another overtime - one or both teams might have scored 200. (Come to think of it, how would those old monochrome "dot-display" scoreboards, which were used back in the day, have displayed it? I've seen the older scoreboards, which some arenas used well into the 2000's - as I recall, those displays only have room for a 1 to the left of the tens and ones digits.)

Henry

I hear the All-Star Game just made Adam Silver angry because of the way they ran up the score, but it's always been that way. I wouldn't be surprised if in the offseason, he pulled a Roger Goodell and scratched the actual game altogether, leaving only the Skills Competition, 3-Point Shootout and Slam Dunk Contest. Or, if he wanted to leave in the game, do what Gary Bettman did and have random divisions play one quarter each, with the best players from each quarter teaming up and playing the fourth quarter.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Ted$8roadFan

After hearing many complaints, Commissioner Adam Silver and his key people worked very hard to change the rules to encourage more competition and spent time evangelizing these changes to all 30 teams. The result was the first 200-point game (by one team) in ASG history. He may be (rightly) PO'd, but the league is still run by the players, most of whom apparently want to limit their exertion in the ASG.

triplemultiplex

And who can blame them? Why put any effort into a game that doesn't matter and marginally increases the chance of an injury that could endanger their livelihood?  There's nothing at stake in an All Star game.  The players don't get any more money for being there. They'd rather have three off days to spend with their family or whomever.   It's the problem of every All Star game.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Life in Paradise

Quote from: triplemultiplex on February 20, 2024, 10:15:51 AM
And who can blame them? Why put any effort into a game that doesn't matter and marginally increases the chance of an injury that could endanger their livelihood?  There's nothing at stake in an All Star game.  The players don't get any more money for being there. They'd rather have three off days to spend with their family or whomever.   It's the problem of every All Star game.
I've read that the winners of the All Star game get $100,000 and the losers $25,000.

Max Rockatansky

The NBA All-Star game (as well as any all-star event) was a much bigger deal when you couldn't easily just watch every notable player in the league on a regular basis on TV.  I still recall as a kid being limited to the occasional national broadcast in the 1980s and whoever the Pistons were playing. 

Ted$8roadFan

Perhaps all All-Star Games are destined to be an afterthought in the era of analytics, load management, brand management, and so forth (hence the Pro Bowl. The ratings were great. However, from a competitive standpoint, it's still a bad look for the NBA in particular since its stars are so visible.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Life in Paradise on February 20, 2024, 01:00:46 PM
I've read that the winners of the All Star game get $100,000 and the losers $25,000.

Chump change for All Star talent.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

JayhawkCO

The only all-star game that has ever mattered was in baseball before interleague play. It was the only time you would EVER see some of the great players play against each other.

plain

I think next year they should have it on ABC instead of TNT to make it more accessible (I seriously doubt it will happen though).
Newark born, Richmond bred

The Ghostbuster

The NBA season resumes tonight. Anyone planning to watch? I know I will.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 22, 2024, 01:48:48 PM
The NBA season resumes tonight. Anyone planning to watch? I know I will.

I'm going to the Nuggets game tonight. Got free tickets, so trying to take my toddler son. If he hates it, we're not out anything.

Hunty2022

The LA Clippers unveiled their new logo/jerseys/court today. They will officially start using them in the 2024-25 season.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

The Ghostbuster

I greatly look forward to tonight's NBA on ABC game: Denver Nuggets at Los Angeles Lakers. LeBron James is just 9 points away from reaching 40,000 career points. I definitely want to see James when he hits that milestone. One question will be whether Nuggets guard Jamal Murray will be able to play after reaggravating his sprained right ankle injury in Thursday's win against the Miami Heat.

The Ghostbuster

Well, it has happened! LeBron James has hit 40,000 points! It happened with 10:39 left in the second quarter. WAY TO GO LEBRON!

Henry

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 02, 2024, 09:20:12 PM
Well, it has happened! LeBron James has hit 40,000 points! It happened with 10:39 left in the second quarter. WAY TO GO LEBRON!
Which was only half of an historic weekend in basketball, because the next day, Caitlin Clark broke the all-time collegiate scoring record that had been held by Pistol Pete Maravich for well over five decades. Expect her to go No. 1 in the upcoming WNBA Draft. So congratulations to both LeBron and Caitlin!

JayhawkCO

Congrats to him. Joker stole the show alas.

Alps

Quote from: Henry on March 04, 2024, 10:07:23 PM
Which was only half of an historic weekend in basketball, because the next day, Caitlin Clark broke the all-time collegiate scoring record that had been held by Pistol Pete Maravich for well over five decades. Expect her to go No. 1 in the upcoming WNBA Draft. So congratulations to both LeBron and Caitlin!
I'm glad Liberty got Sabrina, but they've got maybe one more year to win the title before the Fever dominate.

Henry

Quote from: Alps on March 05, 2024, 07:02:07 PM
I'm glad Liberty got Sabrina, but they've got maybe one more year to win the title before the Fever dominate.
I'm happy that the Sky got their one championship to add to the Bulls' six. So maybe we should start a WNBA thread for stuff like this.

74/171FAN

Quote from: Henry on March 05, 2024, 10:01:28 PM
Quote from: Alps on March 05, 2024, 07:02:07 PM
I'm happy that the Sky got their one championship to add to the Bulls' six. So maybe we should start a WNBA thread for stuff like this.

Alps already did (https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33355.0).
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

1995hoo

Quote from: Hunty2022 on December 30, 2023, 09:00:10 PM
The Detroit Pistons won a game for the first time in 2 months. This broke their 28 game losing streak and advanced the team to 3-29.

I don't pay much attention to the NBA, seeing as how I grew up in (and live in) an area without NBA-level basketball. But there's something kind of weird about the Pistons having had a 28-game losing streak yet not, as of this afternoon, having the worst record in the league—the Wizards are presently on a 16-game losing streak and have a worse overall record than Detroit.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 08, 2024, 02:18:03 PM
Quote from: Hunty2022 on December 30, 2023, 09:00:10 PM
The Detroit Pistons won a game for the first time in 2 months. This broke their 28 game losing streak and advanced the team to 3-29.

I don't pay much attention to the NBA, seeing as how I grew up in (and live in) an area without NBA-level basketball. But there's something kind of weird about the Pistons having had a 28-game losing streak yet not, as of this afternoon, having the worst record in the league—the Wizards are presently on a 16-game losing streak and have a worse overall record than Detroit.

And, fun fact, if the Wizards don't win another game for the next 11, they will try to avoid tying the record for most consecutive losses by playing... the Pistons.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.