News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Infrastructure Dollars

Started by DrZoidberg, February 12, 2009, 07:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrZoidberg

With a lot of talk about the economic stimulus going to upgrading our nation's infrastructure, let's hear some thoughts about the roads, bridges, tunnels, etc that badly need this money.

"By the way...I took the liberty of fertilizing your caviar."

deathtopumpkins

Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Bryant5493

I think the City of Atlanta needs this money, lots of it. The reason being is that many of their roads are poorly marked, poorly signed and riddled with potholes. Also, the Mitchell Street bridge, just east of Northside Drive (US 19/29/41/SR 3), is closed because it's in no condition to carry traffic any more; because of this, traffic had to be diverted onto M.L.K. Jr. Drive -- which was a one way street westbound, from the State Capitol to US 19/29/41/SR 3. A minor bridge (Adams Drive) in the southwest part of the City has been under construction for two years or more, with no real completion date in its near future.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

akotchi

I am dealing first-hand with what New Jersey is doing to prepare for the stimulus dollars.  Design schedules of many projects in my office, of different types and sizes, are being compressed in order to get them out on the street in the time frame stipulated for the funding.  Some are bridge replacements, but many are also roadway reconstruction projects.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

corco

I-84/86/15 from Idaho Falls to Boise is in desparate need of a resurfacing. As Idaho's main east-west route it hauls a lot of freight and the roadway is in pretty bad shape east of Boise

yanksfan6129

akotchi: I'm glad to hear that. I feel like the Federal Government is willing to show us the money, but we need to prove that we have actually plans to do something. Think Title I Robert Moses: New York got a boatload (I think more than any other city) of Title I Cash, no doubt partially caused because he made actually plans rather than just proposals.

To summarize, I think the government will provide the cash if we can provide the projects.

FLRoads

Quote from: Bryant5493 on February 12, 2009, 07:38:25 PM
I think the City of Atlanta needs this money, lots of it. The reason being is that many of their roads are poorly marked, poorly signed and riddled with potholes. Also, the Mitchell Street bridge, just east of Northside Drive (US 19/29/41/SR 3), is closed because it's in no condition to carry traffic any more; because of this, traffic had to be diverted onto M.L.K. Jr. Drive -- which was a one way street westbound, from the State Capitol to US 19/29/41/SR 3. A minor bridge (Adams Drive) in the southwest part of the City has been under construction for two years or more, with no real completion date in its near future.

Be well,

Bryant

Well, I think that Georgia is getting plenty of money before this proposed stimulus package.  Given the fact that GADOT is currently widening a 30 mile stretch of Interstate 85 southwest of Atlanta from four to eight lanes is a clear indication that the state already has enough money to spend.  And when they need more they can go ahead and convert their HOV lanes into HOT lanes as planned.

Bryant5493

Quote from: flaroadgeek on February 13, 2009, 12:53:00 AM
Well, I think that Georgia is getting plenty of money before this proposed stimulus package.  Given the fact that GADOT is currently widening a 30 mile stretch of Interstate 85 southwest of Atlanta from four to eight lanes is a clear indication that the state already has enough money to spend.  And when they need more they can go ahead and convert their HOV lanes into HOT lanes as planned.

I was going more along the lines of city streets, not the Interstates. There are several bridges in the Downtown area that need replacing. Another bridge that needs replacement is the Courtland Street bridge, which crosses over Decatur Street, on the southend of the Georgia State University (GSU) campus. Under the bridge, there are signs that read "bridge is spalding." There are also nets that would catch pieces of the bridge if those pieces fell. This is an accident waiting to happen.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Chris

I think the most money should go to projects that are otherwise dangerous, such as deficient bridge structures. It's more important to replace a structurally deficient bridge in my opinion, than to repave a roadway.

Scott5114

I wish Oklahoma would get some money to buy less ugly road signs. Well, I'm sure we have plenty of bridges and stuff to fix too, so that comes first, I suppose...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

DrZoidberg

Oregon's freeways could use a good repaving, especially in Portland.  With the exception of 26, the roads are "loud" due to the fact that the DOT allows studded tires, and during our so-called Arctic Blast of late 08, people were driving with chains on even after the snow has melted.

I usually have to crank my radio to compensate for the noise created by doing 65 on I-5 heading south.
"By the way...I took the liberty of fertilizing your caviar."

ComputerGuy

I-605 for Seattle! :sombrero: We really need a bypass of a bypass.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.