News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Illinois Tollway 2015 construction

Started by I-39, February 26, 2015, 08:48:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I-39

Today, the Illinois Tollway announced their construction projects for 2015. Obviously, the majority of the work will continue on rebuilding and widening the I-90 corridor on the eastern segment, as well as continued construction on the Illinois Route 390 (EOWA), but I-88 will be resurfaced and bridges repaired west of I-39, and the Tri-State will see a lot of ramp rebuild/repairs, especially at Grand Avenue. No work on I-355 this year.

Couple of things I was surprised about

1. They are not rebuilding the twin U.S 20 crossroad bridges in Belvidere over I-90, even though that was previously part of the plans (it was in their contract letting schedule last year). Also, the Tripp Road and Spring Center Road crossroad bridges were also omitted (they were also on the contract letting schedule last year)

2. The Illinois Route 23 bridge over I-90 was omitted from reconstruction plans, even though it was previously stated that it would be rebuilt in 2015. I bet this is because they are moving forward with interchange plans and are waiting until the ramps can be built.

3. I had previously heard about plans to redo the Farnsworth Ave interchange on I-88 in 2015, but I did not see anything about that. They will be reconstructing the Mitchell Road bridge over I-88 (wonder if this is in preparation for an eventual widening of I-88 to eight lanes from IL-59 to Orchard Road?) 

4. Despite the section between Randall Road and the Elgin Toll Plaza being four lanes in each direction, there are no plans (at least from what I can find) to reconfigure the Elgin Toll Plaza to accommodate a fourth ORT lane

5. Still no word on the Lee Street eastbound exit ramp

cwm1276

On point 4 the new Church road bridge just west of Farnsworth is sure wide. You could get at least one maybe two lanes more in each direction.

I doubt 4 lanes all the way to Orchard soon. I could see with rebuilt Mitchell road bridge, would help Farnsworth and the Eola Bridge would also need to be rebuilt.  That section drives me nuts daily as traffic backs up regularly in the morning between Eola and the Fox River.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: adamlanfort on February 26, 2015, 08:48:06 PM
Today, the Illinois Tollway announced their construction projects for 2015. Obviously, the majority of the work will continue on rebuilding and widening the I-90 corridor on the eastern segment, as well as continued construction on the Illinois Route 390 (EOWA), but I-88 will be resurfaced and bridges repaired west of I-39, and the Tri-State will see a lot of ramp rebuild/repairs, especially at Grand Avenue. No work on I-355 this year.

Couple of things I was surprised about

1. They are not rebuilding the twin U.S 20 crossroad bridges in Belvidere over I-90, even though that was previously part of the plans (it was in their contract letting schedule last year). Also, the Tripp Road and Spring Center Road crossroad bridges were also omitted (they were also on the contract letting schedule last year)

2. The Illinois Route 23 bridge over I-90 was omitted from reconstruction plans, even though it was previously stated that it would be rebuilt in 2015. I bet this is because they are moving forward with interchange plans and are waiting until the ramps can be built.

3. I had previously heard about plans to redo the Farnsworth Ave interchange on I-88 in 2015, but I did not see anything about that. They will be reconstructing the Mitchell Road bridge over I-88 (wonder if this is in preparation for an eventual widening of I-88 to eight lanes from IL-59 to Orchard Road?) 

4. Despite the section between Randall Road and the Elgin Toll Plaza being four lanes in each direction, there are no plans (at least from what I can find) to reconfigure the Elgin Toll Plaza to accommodate a fourth ORT lane

5. Still no word on the Lee Street eastbound exit ramp

4 I think it works as an long aux lane

Now I-94 near the WI boarder needs the toll rebuilt with 4 ORT lanes each way.

I-39

Quote from: cwm1276 on February 27, 2015, 06:52:16 AM
On point 4 the new Church road bridge just west of Farnsworth is sure wide. You could get at least one maybe two lanes more in each direction.

I doubt 4 lanes all the way to Orchard soon. I could see with rebuilt Mitchell road bridge, would help Farnsworth and the Eola Bridge would also need to be rebuilt.  That section drives me nuts daily as traffic backs up regularly in the morning between Eola and the Fox River.

The Aurora Toll Plaza is configured to accommodate a fourth Open Road Tolling lane, and the existing Fox River bridge is eight lanes wide (the fourth is an auxiliary lane for IL-31 westbound and the toll plaza eastbound respectively. I'm surprised they didn't widen the road to eight lanes at least to IL-31 when they widened I-88 a few years back. With the IL-59 interchange being reconstructed with wider bridges, the Church Road and now the Mitchell Road bridge being reconstructed, I was wondering if they are prepping for eventual widening to eight lanes west of IL-59, but they'd indeed have to reconstruct the Farnsworth and Eola Road bridges first. 

cwm1276

I am wondering if the tollway would consider a DDI other interchange at Farnsworth?  Eastbound there seems to be a lot of weaving from 31 past Eola. The 2 Farnsworth ramps sure don't help the issue.

I-39

Quote from: cwm1276 on February 28, 2015, 08:57:47 PM
I am wondering if the tollway would consider a DDI other interchange at Farnsworth?  Eastbound there seems to be a lot of weaving from 31 past Eola. The 2 Farnsworth ramps sure don't help the issue.

Something needs to be done at the current Farnsworth Ave interchange, the current cloverleaf is bad. I think an SPUI would be good for this location.

And while we're at it, an SPUI would be good at Randall Road and I-90

Brandon

Quote from: adamlanfort on February 28, 2015, 09:13:01 PM

Something needs to be done at the current Farnsworth Ave interchange, the current cloverleaf is bad. I think an SPUI would be good for this location.

IIRC, ISTHA doesn't do SPUIs.  However, Farnsworth doesn't really have enough traffic for a DDI the way 59 does.  I suspect you'd see a diamond or 6-ramp parclo replace the current cloverleaf.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

I-39

Quote from: Brandon on February 28, 2015, 09:22:21 PM
Quote from: adamlanfort on February 28, 2015, 09:13:01 PM

IIRC, ISTHA doesn't do SPUIs.  However, Farnsworth doesn't really have enough traffic for a DDI the way 59 does.  I suspect you'd see a diamond or 6-ramp parclo replace the current cloverleaf.

They are doing an SPUI at Barrington Road on I-90. Even if not an SPUI, they need to do something with the Farnsworth interchange, but they do need to consider an SPUI for the Randall Road interchange on I-90

ET21

I bet they'll do 4 lanes from 59 through to 31. Farnsworth is in dire need of a overhaul. One concern would be Eola might need a change to accommodate the 4th lane.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.