News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Northwest Florida Road News

Started by FLRoads, February 26, 2009, 12:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

U.S. 331 widening plans take shape

QuotePlans to widen U.S. Highway 331 and the Clyde B. Wells Bridge took decades to bring to fruition, but it appears Walton County's resistance to accepting tolls to pay for it could save residents hundreds of millions of dollars.

The Florida Department of Transportation announced recently that it had hired a company to expand the 2.274-mile span across Choctawhatchee Bay by building a second bridge just east of the existing one.

Skanska USA Civil Southeast has agreed to design and build the second bridge for $118.5 million.

Because the state and county had agreed to put up a total of $177 million to cover the cost, FDOT told the Walton County Commission June 24 that the county will receive a $50 million rebate check.

QuoteIn conjunction with the bridge expansion, FDOT will widen U.S. Highway 331 north from the bridge to State Road 20. The two projects together will cost the state $145.9 million, or about $31 million less than the state and county budgeted to pay for the bridge.

That compares very favorably to the almost $400 million a private business called Moving U.S. 331 Forward LLC wanted in 2009 to widen the bridge and build, operate and maintain a toll facility there.

QuoteThe first phase of widening U.S. 331 was a $22.4 million project that expanded the roadway from U.S. Highway 98 to the south end of the bridge.

The $24.9 million four-laning of the road to State Road 20 has begun north of the bridge, as evidenced by piles of dirt pushed aside to level the area to be paved.

Skanska USA Civil Southeast is expected to begin work on the bridge project in August and complete the project by fall 2016, an FDOT news release said.

QuotePlans and $47.6 million in funding are also in place to expand U.S. 331 from State Road 20 to Interstate 10 just south of DeFuniak Springs.

"We have the interstate and now have a four-lane highway,"  Demers said.

The final phase of the widening project would four-lane U.S. 331 from DeFuniak Springs to the Alabama state line.

Satter said $2.9 million is being spent to conduct a planning, development and engineering study to determine the feasibility of completing the U.S. 331 expansion from I-10 to the Alabama line.

FLRoads

Traffic solutions proposed for Navarre Beach

QuoteTraffic leaving Navarre Beach is only getting worse, but the Santa Rosa County Commission is looking at short- and long-term solutions to improve traffic flow.

Earlier this year, the county contracted with Volkert & Associates to conduct a traffic study on Navarre Beach and the intersection of Navarre Beach Causeway and U.S. Highway 98.

The two short-term solutions Volkert & Associates presented to the board were adding a roundabout to the intersection of Gulf Boulevard and the Navarre Beach Causeway and adding a dedicated left-turn lane for people leaving the causeway to turn onto U.S. 98.

Commissioner Jim Melvin said those improvements would be a temporary Band-Aid that would not completely fix the traffic problem. He said improving traffic on Navarre Beach needs to be a two-pronged approach, looking at both short- and long-term solutions.

Melvin recommended the board look into building a new bridge that would start at State Road 87 and extend south onto property the county already owns on Navarre Beach. He said the new bridge should be four lanes and the existing bridge would be kept open, but he would advise terminating the two-way traffic and making it a one-way road off the island.

"If somebody had done this 10, 15 years ago, we would be looking at building a bridge right now,"  Melvin said.

FLRoads

Florida 285 to close for overpass work late Monday/early Tuesday.

This is part of the ongoing project for the Niceville bypass (Toll Florida 293) slated to open in 2014.

$13.9 million construction on overpass to begin.

Construction is set to begin next week on the SPUI along U.S. 98 at the entrance to Hurlburt Field (Cody Avenue), with a completion date of late 2014.

QuoteThe first phase of the overpass work people will notice will be construction of temporary lanes in the median of U.S. 98 to reroute traffic as needed.

FLRoads

Mid-Bay Bridge Connector nears home stretch

Quote"It's the biggest transportation project in the county and it's been going on since 2009,"  boasts Jim Vest, executive director of the Mid-Bay Bridge Authority, which is building the connector.

When completed in mid-2014, the $143 million connector will be part of a 16-mile limited access route from State Road 85 around Niceville and across the Mid-Bay Bridge to Destin.

Vest will lead county officials, military members and other dignitaries on a tour of the project next week, something he does twice a year...

allniter89

Regarding residents concerns of the bypass affecting Niceville businesses I dont think it will be a problem, imo the area has plenty of residents that will use hwy 20 to keep the businesses thriving. To catch tourists business why not put up blue services signs like on the interstates, the toll road  is never very far from the FL 20 business corridor. Okaloosa county does need to work on the timing of the lights, its difficult to get thru more than one green light at a time :angry:
The article mentioned 2 tolls $1.50 & $4.50 I imagine the $1.50 toll  be from FL 85 to FL 20 then those going across the MBB will pay $4.50 more. I dont think $1.50 is too much for that stretch of road. There is a free alternative albeit 2 lane road with 25mph to 40 mph speed limit. Use College Blvd east from FL 85, it changes to Forest Road to Rocky Bayou Dr to FL 20. This misses the majority of the traffic lights and there is only one light this route excepting the light at the beginning and end of this route.
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

FLRoads

Mid-Bay Bridge Connector to open in coming months.

The connector linking the Mid-Bay Bridge with Florida 85 looping around Niceville is now set to open January 4, 2014 with all day festivities as well as a half-marathon along the route. Tolls will be levied from late Saturday when the route opens to early Monday morning.

florida

Quote from: allniter89 on August 09, 2013, 06:05:02 PM
Regarding residents concerns of the bypass affecting Niceville businesses I dont think it will be a problem, imo the area has plenty of residents that will use hwy 20 to keep the businesses thriving. To catch tourists business why not put up blue services signs like on the interstates, the toll road  is never very far from the FL 20 business corridor. Okaloosa county does need to work on the timing of the lights, its difficult to get thru more than one green light at a time :angry:
The article mentioned 2 tolls $1.50 & $4.50 I imagine the $1.50 toll  be from FL 85 to FL 20 then those going across the MBB will pay $4.50 more. I dont think $1.50 is too much for that stretch of road. There is a free alternative albeit 2 lane road with 25mph to 40 mph speed limit. Use College Blvd east from FL 85, it changes to Forest Road to Rocky Bayou Dr to FL 20. This misses the majority of the traffic lights and there is only one light this route excepting the light at the beginning and end of this route.

Have no fear. Okaloosa County will not change anything about signal timing so motorists would be inclined to use the new toll road.
So many roads...so little time.

Alex

Improvements made at I-10, N. Davis Highway

QuoteA $144,412 project to improve the traffic flow from southbound North Davis Highway to west-bound Interstate 10 is about half-way complete...

QuoteThe project has added a second lane to the I-10 on ramp, as well as converted the existing outside lane of Davis Highway into a free flow lane where motorists can either turn right or continue straight.

QuoteThe commute of many drivers traveling along N. Davis Highway to Interstate-10 should be a lot smoother by mid-November.

Alex

FDOT to begin another U.S. 98 project

QuoteThe $11.4 million project will mill and resurface the 12.77 mile section of highway. The road's existing shoulders will also be widened to 8 feet, and new bicycle lanes will be constructed from Gondolier Boulevard east to the Gulf Breeze Zoo entrance.

APAC Mid-South Inc. of Pensacola will begin construction in the City of Gulf Breeze and move eastward. The project's completion is scheduled for spring 2015.

QuoteThis project will accompany similar improvements on U.S. 98 from the Gulf Breeze Zoo entrance to the Okaloosa County line that began in June. That $12.3 million, 11.2 mile project is being undertaken by Anderson Columbia Co. and is scheduled to be completed in winter 2015.

Another project has Gulf Power Co. installing 1,000 280-watt LED streetlights on U.S. 98 from Bayshore Road to the Okaloosa County line and is projected to be completed in November.

The $2.5 million project will install the streetlights every 200 to 250 feet along a 19-mile stretch of the highway from the Okaloosa County line to the eastern edge of the Naval Live Oaks area.

Alex

I-10 expansion a boon and bane for businesses

QuoteThe Florida Department of Transportation is gearing up for a $43 million project to expand a stretch of Interstate 10 to six lanes, and business ­owners in the path of the construction are unsure whether they're on the road to riches or ruin.

By fall 2016, the construction project will add additional lighting, storm retention ponds, sound walls and two new lanes to the interstate between the Escambia Bay bridge and the Davis Highway interchange.

The project will also improve the section of Scenic Highway between Whisper Way and Northpointe Parkway by replacing the Scenic Highway overpass, repaving the driveways of some adjacent businesses and adding lighting, sidewalks and a bicycle lane.

Alex

Traffic shift planned for U.S. 331 work

QuoteSANTA ROSA BEACH - Southbound traffic on U.S. Highway 331 will be shifted today to a new temporary lane between the south end of the Clyde B. Wells Bridge and Chat Holley

Road while northbound traffic will be shifted to the center portion of the road.

The lane shift will allow preliminary construction to begin for a new U.S. 331 bridge. One lane of traffic will remain open in each direction at all times.

Alex

Not so scenic highway after state clears ancient oaks

QuoteLocal officials have promised to help replant an area along Scenic Highway where a stand of mature live oaks was clear-cut last week by a Florida Department of Transportation contractor after area residents voiced concern.

Highway officials have said the removal of the trees, located along Scenic Highway at the Interstate 10 on-ramp in northeast Pensacola, was necessary to accommodate ongoing construction and avoid additional impacts to private property and costs to taxpayers. But environmental advocates and area residents are not happy.

Department spokesman Ian Satter said the trees had been removed to make way for new interstate ramps, sound walls and two storm water retention ponds as part of the ongoing widening of I-10 and Scenic Highway.

The three-year project will widen the interstate between Davis Highway and the Escambia Bay bridge and Scenic Highway between Whisper Way and Northpointe Parkway from four to six lanes. It also will include reconstructing the Scenic Highway overpass. The work, which began in November and is slated for completion in fall 2016, will cost an estimated $43.1 million.

Alex

Gaetz: Consensus is key to getting new bridge

QuoteThe Florida Department of Transportation has committed to spend $3.5 million to study options for replacing the Brooks Bridge.

A project development and environmental study has been placed in DOT's five-year plan but is not scheduled until 2015, agency spokesman Ian Satter said.

QuoteThe Brooks Bridge connecting Fort Walton Beach to Okaloosa Island was built in 1966 and today carries a "C"  grade for structural soundness and an "F"  grade for capacity.

QuoteThe last time an alternative route between Okaloosa Island and Fort Walton Beach was discussed, three bridge plans were conceived.

At least one of those, a bridge extending from the eastern end of Hollywood Boulevard to Okaloosa Island near the Emerald Coast Convention Center appears to have been eliminated as an option by plans to build commercial properties at the eastern landing site.

allniter89

Quote from: flaroads on September 19, 2013, 08:06:39 PM
Mid-Bay Bridge Connector to open in coming months.

The connector linking the Mid-Bay Bridge with Florida 85 looping around Niceville is now set to open January 4, 2014 with all day festivities as well as a half-marathon along the route. Tolls will be levied from late Saturday when the route opens to early Monday morning.
There is signage up at FL 293/FL 85 jct & FL 293/FL 285 jct. I am flying out of town in a few hours so I cant get pix, sorry :-(  All on/off ramps are blacktopped, I dont remember if edge lines were painted :-(  BGS on right shoulder "FL 293 Toll Road, Destin & Freeport" just after you get on a ramp there pull thru(?) signs overhead "Fl Sunpass or license plate tolled", no mention of toll amount. On FL 285 they have nb/sb lanes separated by a small grass median in the area of the ramps & FL 293 overpass. On FL 285 northbound just past the 293 jct there is a I 10 reassurance sign and a mileage sign I 10 15 miles. The FL 285 exit should be signed "To I 10 Eastbound,  I 10 Westbound use next exit (FL 85)" because 285 runs northeast and taking 285 to I 10 westbound adds quite a few miles, maybe 30 miles? There are no services northbound for 18 miles as 285 is on Federal property/ Eglin AFB. There is nothing but forest the entire route. I think a "next services 18 mile sign" and or a blue services sign on the ramp directing drivers south for services should be erected to warn those unfamiliar with the area. The FL 85 to FL 293 ramps look to be built for a high advisory speed, a big sweeping curves to FL 293 eastbound, FL 293 does not go any further west than FL 85. I was hoping to attend the opening festivities but that aint gonna happen now, family issues in Delaware :-((
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

FLRoads

Mid-Bay Bridge Connector to be unveiled after four years of work.

QuoteThe $140 million Mid-Bay Bridge Connector toll road will open to the public between 4 and 5 p.m. Saturday.

Motorists will be able to travel the 11-mile connector for free until 12:01 a.m. Monday.

Quote"The connector is going to relieve a lot of congestion, particularly traffic on state Highway 20 in Niceville,"  said Jim Vest, who as executive director of the Mid-Bay Bridge Authority has been largely responsible for overseeing the five-year project.

The $140 million connector will complete a 16-mile limited access route running from State Road 85 just north of Niceville to U.S. Highway 98 at Danny Wuerffel Way in Destin.

Its primary purpose is to smooth the flow of tourist traffic to and from the Destin area.

Vest said the connector will save travelers 20 minutes on their commute from one end of Okaloosa County to the other by eliminating 14 stoplights in the Niceville area.

Alex

County Commissioner proposes second I-10 exit

QuoteGridlock on State Road 85 could be greatly decreased with an additional exit built just west of the existing I-10 interchange, Okaloosa County Commissioner Nathan Boyles says.

Boyles plans to share his proposal today at the state Department of Transportation's public meeting on the I-10 Master Plan for Okaloosa, Walton, Holmes, Washington and Jackson counties.

QuoteAn additional I-10 interchange just west of Crestview would fit well with the county's long-term plans for the P.J. Adams Parkway-Antioch Road corridor, Boyles said.

Alex

A smoother commute along U.S. 98 in Gulf Breeze may be on the horizon

Quote...the City Council last Monday endorsed a Florida Department of Transportation plan to better synchronize the traffic signal timing at the city's four traffic lights on six miles of U.S. 98 so a larger volume of traffic could make it through the city at one time without being caught at a red light.

"DOT has tried this signal timing adjustment in other areas of Santa Rosa County and Escambia County, and it appears to be working,"  said City Manager Edwin "Buz"  Eddy.

One of the biggest changes to the signals, he said, would be eliminating the ability for motorists on side streets, such as Daniel Drive and Fairpoint Drive, trying to cross U.S. 98 from being able to trip the light signal on demand, during three peak traffic times. Those times are 7 to 9 a.m., 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. to 6 p.m.

"At 6 p.m. it will be back to the regular demand system,"  said Thomas Lambert, they city's assistant director of public service.

lamsalfl

My solution:  Toll road from I-10 mp23 southeastward along edge of Eglin in the direction of and then north of Hurlburt and FWB continuing nearly due east to the south of VPS airport across the bay terminating at the north end of the Midbay Bridge.   

Thousands of tourists would never have to touch US 98 - problem solved

(Except for Santa Rosa businesses :) )

DeaconG

Quote from: lamsalfl on January 13, 2014, 02:31:43 PM
My solution:  Toll road from I-10 mp23 southeastward along edge of Eglin in the direction of and then north of Hurlburt and FWB continuing nearly due east to the south of VPS airport across the bay terminating at the north end of the Midbay Bridge.   

Thousands of tourists would never have to touch US 98 - problem solved

(Except for Santa Rosa businesses :) )

Breathe, son, you forgot how to breathe!
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

Alex

Yet another new signal activated along U.S. 98 in Santa Rosa County.

New traffic light goes live Tuesday

QuoteThe Florida Department of Transportation reports the new traffic signal on U.S. 98 at Edgewood Drive in Navarre will be activated Tuesday, Jan. 28, at 10 a.m.  The signal has been on flash mode to acquaint motorists with the location. Drivers are advised to use caution when approaching the intersection.

lamsalfl

How has the Niceville bypass been working so far?

Alex

SR 123 widening could begin this summer

QuoteTree clearing along State Road 123 has begun in preparation of a major widening project slated to start in the summer.

The $50.5 million project ultimately will widen the entire length of SR 123 from two lanes to four. It will be completed in three phases.

Crews from Eglin Air Force Base are cutting the timber in preparation for the first phase of the work, which will cost $19.9 million.

"They're taking the timber down in that middle section from Tom's Creek to Turkey Creek,"  said Ian Satter, district spokesman for the state Department of Transportation.

The second phase, which will cost $18.4 million, will widen SR 123 from north of State Road 85 South to north of Tom's Creek. The third phase, estimated to cost $12.2 million, will widen the stretch from north of Turkey Creek to SR 85 North.

Alex

60 is better than 55, but 65 would be more appropriate. I-10 never drops below 70 mph through Tallahassee FWIW.

Speed limit increase set for Interstate 10

QuoteThe Florida Department of Transportation announced today that it will increase the speed limit on Interstate in Escambia County from 55 mph to 60 mph from Davis Highway to west of U.S. 29 beginning Friday.

The FDOT cites results of a recent speed study as the reason for the change.

Alex

Route for a new Pensacola Bay Bridge poses major impact on Gulf Breeze

QuoteAfter years of planning, meeting and debating three possible routes for the new Pensacola Bay Bridge, a group of public officials and community leaders are anxious to take a look at where the Florida Department of Transportation is recommending it be built.

FDOT will present its proposed plans and construction details for what it calls the west-central corridor to the Project Advisory Group, made up of 14 members, at 5 p.m. Tuesday at the Crowne Plaza Pensacola Grand hotel in Pensacola.

During a special meeting in early June, the general public will have an opportunity to pore over those plans, talk to FDOT officials, and offer comments, concerns or suggestions about the project.

The corridor is one of four that have been under consideration for years.

QuoteWhat Eddy is not feeling ­optimistic about is the 1,600 days, or five years, it will take to construct the two three-lane spans for the replacement bridge, which is slated to begin with purchasing rights of way next year, followed by site preparation, with actual construction to begin in 2017.

New phase of expansion begins for U.S. 331

QuoteU.S. 331 is undergoing a long anticipated transformation that enters a new phase April 28 when crews contracted by the Florida Department of Transportation begin clearing the area north of State Road 20 to Interstate 10.

As drainage work and other activities get underway it will extend the 331 construction zone 12 miles, from the Clyde B. Wells Bridge, where a parallel bridge is being constructed, to I-10.

QuoteThe $47.6 million project is expected to be completed by winter of 2016, the news release said.

Alex

High-tech road safety network moving ahead

QuoteDubbed the Intelligent Transportation System, the $24 million Northwest Florida network will include 183 traffic cameras, 135 microwave vehicle detectors, 40 travel time sensors, 17 overhead message signs, eight highway advisory radios, and three road and weather information sensors, FDOT spokesman Ian Satter said.

QuoteIn mid-October, construction crews will begin installing fiber optic infrastructure for the Intelligent Transportation System along a 158-mile section of Interstate 10 from State Road 87 in Santa Rosa County to U.S. 90 in Gadsden County, Satter said. Installation will begin at the I-10 and U.S 231 interchange and proceed east and west along I-10 and north and south on U.S. 231.

The network also will extend 56 miles along U.S. 231 from the Alabama state line to Bay County.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.