News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

From Chicago to Manhattan without tolls

Started by CtrlAltDel, February 19, 2016, 04:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

If you're not interested in driving as far north as Albany; I would suggest that once in the Erie section of PA; take I-79 south (from I-90 East) and follow that to I-80 East to I-81 North to I-84 East.  Then follow I-84 East to the Taconic Parkway and then turn south.

The eastbound toll along the "Hamilton Fish"/Newburgh-Beacon Bridge (I-84) is only $1.50 cash/$1.25 E-ZPass; big whoop.

IMHO, that's probably one of cheapest in terms of Hudson River Crossing tolls without going way up to Albany.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

vdeane

There's the Bear Mountain Bridge, 15 miles south; same toll.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

empirestate

Quote from: vdeane on April 05, 2016, 01:01:00 PM

And way more scenic. :-)

PHLBOS

Quote from: empirestate on April 05, 2016, 01:21:32 PM

That's assuming that OP doesn't mind utilizing some non-divided highways/roads and going through downtown areas (Peekskill, NY); but indeed a good/closer alternative.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

empirestate

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 05, 2016, 01:24:45 PM
Quote from: empirestate on April 05, 2016, 01:21:32 PM

That's assuming that OP doesn't mind utilizing some non-divided highways/roads and going through downtown areas (Peekskill, NY); but indeed a good/closer alternative.

Oh, I'd say it's more scenic even if the OP does mind. :-D

Also, downtown Peekskill isn't involved for through travelers, as would be in this case. US 9 through that city is freeway at that point, and the bypass towards the east is the Bear Mountain Parkway, which is not a full freeway but also not a surface route.

As it happens, though, I typically opt for going through downtown even when the bypasses are available for my trip. In this little region, the pace is much slower as soon as you get off the through routes. The vibe is very different on the routes funneling to the BMB and the through parkways; you get the sense that it's all rat racers in a hurry to get between New York City and their home way out in Poughkeepsie or Newburgh. By stark contrast, the streets of Peekskill and surrounding Cortlandt, etc., run at a much slower pace–sometimes maddeningly so, in all honesty.

Sykotyk

Quote from: Duke87 on April 04, 2016, 10:00:25 PM
Quote from: Sykotyk on April 01, 2016, 04:32:38 PM
take I-90 across to the Taconic, and take that south.

Doing this involves taking the Berkshire Section of the Thruway from exits B1 to B2, which incurs a toll of 40 cents (38 cents with EZpass!). Just enough to annoyingly kill the idea of the route being completely toll free.

Really not worth shunpiking around but if you want to because you can, the easiest way to do so is to get off I-90 at exit 12, take US 9 south to Valatie, turn left on Main St, turn right on NY 203 and follow that to the Taconic.

Yeah, I always forget that the Berkshire Connector is what interchanges with the Taconic. I was thinking it was by US9 off the untolled I-90 stretch.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.