News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Themed street names

Started by hm insulators, December 08, 2010, 12:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

formulanone

Quote from: yakra on June 23, 2014, 12:26:41 AM
It's only a model!

Speed limit signs for both African and European Swallows, by chance?

apeman33

The "theme" for the streets in Fort Scott, Kansas, only make sense if you know the history of the town. All the streets west of Main were named for pro-slavery people while the ones east of it were named for the Free State backers. At one point, this included what is now National Avenue, which was originally named Jones Avenue. The story I've heard is that the town leaders decided that when U.S. 69 was going to be routed down that street, it would be bad form to have the city's main thoroughfare named for a pro-slave person.

There is a section of streets in Pittsburg, Kansas, named for presidents but some of them are out of order.
Pittsburg's order ---> Actual order
Washington ---> Washington
Adams  ---> Adams
Jefferson  ---> Jefferson
Monroe  ---> Madison
Madison  ---> Monroe
Jackson  ---> Quincy (as in John Quincy Adams)
Quincy  ---> Jackson

These were featured on a recent local TV station's piece on how some of the streets in the area were named but no one had an explanation for how Pittsburg's president streets were named in the wrong order.

SignGeek101

Bruce

My hometown of Marysville, WA has four of its north-south streets (squeezed between I-5 and old US 99) whose names alternate between trees and geographic features...sort of. It goes Ash, Beach, Cedar, Delta...

Seattle's downtown streets are named in pairs: Jefferson, James, Cherry, Columbia, Marion, Madison, Spring, Seneca, University, Union, Pike, Pine. The mnemonic "Jesus Christ Made Seattle Under Protest" (JCMSUP) was created to help people remember. The pairs work especially well because our buses use skip-stop spacing and will thus skip one street in each pair.

ekt8750

Quote from: jemacedo9 on December 11, 2010, 09:19:46 PM
Philadelphia E-W streets intersecting Broad are named after PA counties...

North of Market St outside of the original grid (Vine St) yes. E-W south of Market up to South St are named after trees.

The borough of Swarthmore outside of Philly has a bunch streets named after local and Ivy League universities.

Media, PA also has a series of streets named after Founding Fathers and presidents.

JMAN_WiS&S

Eau Claire, WI has quite a few. There are:
-Numbered Streets
-Numbered Avenues
-Planets/Space Themed
-U.S. Generals
-Trees
Just to name a few.
Youtube, Twitter, Flickr Username: JMAN.WiS&S
Instagram username: jman.wissotasirens-signals

I am not an official representative or spokesperson for WisDOT. Any views or opinions expressed are purely my own based on my work experiences and do not represent WisDOTs views or opinions.

TravelingBethelite

Google Maps don't show them (all) here, but here in Bethel, we've got an entire subdivision named after apples, and that's just naming one of them. https://www.google.com/maps/place/6+Cortland+Dr,+Bethel,+CT+06801/@41.4004742,-73.384962,18z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x89e7febb603ede25:0xcf0af2a161f944f2
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

beau99

Downtown Phoenix has several street (both major and minor) named for presidents:

from N-S:

Roosevelt
Garfield
McKinley
Pierce
Fillmore
Taylor
Polk
Van Buren
Monroe
Adams
Washington
Jefferson
Madison
Jackson
Harrison
Buchanan
Lincoln
Grant

Going more south, there are ones named after Native American tribes:

Yavapai
Yuma
Papago (this one really should be changed but I think people have too much trouble pronouncing Tohono O'odham...)
Pima
Cocopah
Mohave
Apache

to the north of downtown there are streets named for place names/landmarks (Pinnacle Peak, Deer Valley, Union Hills, Glendale, Camelback, Missouri, Bethany Home, Indian School, Cave Creek and then Scottsdale, among others) as well as people (Bell, Greenway, etc)
If you address me, call me Shiloh. I am trans. Thanks.

WillWeaverRVA

The "avenues" in Highland Springs, VA (all but one of which intersect VA 33 and have "north" and "south" prefixes) are named after trees or flowers: Ash, Beech, Cedar, Daisy, Elm, Fern, etc...

A subdivision in western Henrico County near the intersection of North Parham Road and US 250 has streets all named for Santa's reindeer: Comet Rd, Dasher Rd, Dancer Rd, Donder Rd, and three streets named after Rudolph (Rd, Ct, Terrace).
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

roadman65

I just noticed that in the College Park section of Orlando, FL that the streets running E-W are named after universities.  For example Princeton Street in Orlando is part of a same theme as Harvard Street, Yale Street, Darthmouth Street, etc.

I never payed close attention to that part of town, but I have always seen Princeton Street, though as that extends outside of the neighborhood as a primary arterial in Orlando which is out of the theme area.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

1995hoo

Quote from: roadman65 on August 19, 2015, 11:44:16 AM
I just noticed that in the College Park section of Orlando, FL that the streets running E-W are named after universities.  For example Princeton Street in Orlando is part of a same theme as Harvard Street, Yale Street, Darthmouth Street, etc.

I never payed close attention to that part of town, but I have always seen Princeton Street, though as that extends outside of the neighborhood as a primary arterial in Orlando which is out of the theme area.

There's an area like that near where I live too. Note roughly the center of the map. I've always found the use of "Cavalier Drive" a bit interesting, but presuming it's intended as a reference to the University of Virginia, I have to guess Virginia Drive a few miles away may have been there first.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

mwb1848

El Paso's historic core has a largely in-tact, tightly gridded street network. As you might imagine, it includes some great sets of themed names.

Central El Paso's president streets are incredibly out of order. From north to south: Hayes Ave., Johnson Ave., Lincoln Ave., Truman Ave., Pierce Ave., Fillmore Ave., Taylor Ave., Polk Ave., Tyler Ave., Harrison Ave., Van Buren Ave., Monroe Ave., Jefferson Ave., Jackson Ave., McKinley Ave., (skip a few streets with other names), Hamilton Ave.

After that, streets get into a fascinating listing of southern cities: Mobile Ave., Memphis Ave., Frankfort Ave., Savannah Ave., Richmond Ave., and Louisville Ave.

Further south, around Memorial Park (long ago, the site of the Federal Copper Smelter) you run into Federal Ave., Copper Ave., Silver Ave., Gold Ave., and Bronze Way.

South of the park, several streets are named after Arizona mining towns: Morenci Ave., Bisbee Ave., Douglas Ave.

To the east in the Government Hill and Austin Terrace neighborhoods E-W avenues take on an incredibly British feel: Manchester Ave., Hastings Ave., Cambridge Ave., Cumberland Ave., Chester Ave, and Oxford Ave. Meanwhile, N-S streets are named for heroes of Texas history: Travis Street, Houston Street, Boone Street, and Lamar Street.

Closer to Downtown, in Downtown, and near UT El Paso you get a hodge-podge of last names, trees, cities and states. Numbered streets ascend toward the Rio Grande in South El Paso.

JCinSummerfield

Quote from: mwb1848 on August 19, 2015, 12:07:11 PM
El Paso's historic core has a largely in-tact, tightly gridded street network. As you might imagine, it includes some great sets of themed names.

Central El Paso's president streets are incredibly out of order. From north to south: Hayes Ave., Johnson Ave., Lincoln Ave., Truman Ave., Pierce Ave., Fillmore Ave., Taylor Ave., Polk Ave., Tyler Ave., Harrison Ave., Van Buren Ave., Monroe Ave., Jefferson Ave., Jackson Ave., McKinley Ave., (skip a few streets with other names), Hamilton Ave.

Except Hamilton was never president!

beau99

Quote from: JCinSummerfield on August 19, 2015, 01:10:03 PM
Quote from: mwb1848 on August 19, 2015, 12:07:11 PM

Except Hamilton was never president!
Correct. He was in Washington's cabinet.
If you address me, call me Shiloh. I am trans. Thanks.

mwb1848

Dang it! Good eye!!

All the other stuff is correct. I think.

:-D

slorydn1

The streets in the different NCO housing areas of MCAS Cherry Point are the names of North Carolina counties, and names of presidents back in O-country.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

peterj920

Green Bay, WI names streets after Presidents from Washington to Van Buren, and they named the next street after Daniel Webster because the community was very confident that he was going to win the election against William Henry Harrison.  When Harrison won, they decided to abandon the theme. 

machias

Utica, N.Y. has a bunch of streets named after the Proctor (one of the founders of the city) sisters. Charlotte, Mary, Ann, Elizabeth and Blandina.

nexus73

Coos Bay OR uses the traditional 1st/2nd/3rd and A/B/C system with a twist.  On the A/B/C's, the streets on the southside of the grid are named after local people of historical interest to the letter L.  Going north the street names deal with woods and related names up to Y with Q missing.

Rick

US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

silverback1065

random neighborhood in Fishers, IN streets named after nfl teams: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9751581,-85.9519361,16.5z

Bruce

The roads on the University of Washington campus are named after WA's 39 counties, with the exception of Memorial Way and George Washington Lane.

At first glance, it seems like it was named for presidents, but there's just a good number of counties named for presidents out here.

Billy F 1988

There's quite a few in Missoula with a bit of history tied to them.

Higgins Avenue - named after Christopher P. Higgins)
Francis, Maurice, Arthur, Helen, Hilda, Ronald, and Gerald Avenue - all named after Higgins' seven children

One thing to note: Gerald Avenue replaced what was supposed to be Hammond Avenue named after Higgins' rival, A.B. Hammond.

Mullan Road (or colloquially the Mullan Trail) - named after Lieutenant John Mullan of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers

Grant Creek Road - named after Richard Grant

Russell Street - possibly named after Charles M. Russell

Clark Fork Drive/Lane/Way - named after the one half of the Western frontier explorers, William Clark

Great Northern Ave/Loop - named after the Great Northern railroad

Milwaukee Way - colloquially named after the Milwaukee Road rail line, also one of the foot trails along the Clark Fork Riverfront trail system. It roughly follows the old path of the railroad and many railroad relics can be seen along the pathway to date including the original train depot.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

SectorZ

I live amongst the presidents in my neighborhood.

Around Massachusetts, there are a few towns (Lexington comes to mind) that have a cluster of roads named after all the early 19th century authors from the Boston area. There are many towns (Peabody and Beverly come to mind) that have clusters themed for colleges, mostly the ivy leaguers with some sub-ivy schools included.

Buffaboy

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but Buffalo has the Fruit Belt:

"Maple," "Mulberry," "Locust," "Lemon," "Orange," "Peach," "Grape."
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

GaryV

Quote from: Buffaboy on September 03, 2015, 05:33:01 PM
I don't know if it's been mentioned, but Buffalo has the Fruit Belt:

"Maple," ... "Locust,"

Fruit?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.