News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Themed street names

Started by hm insulators, December 08, 2010, 12:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHighwayMan3561

Cosmos, MN (pop. 470) - E/W streets are generally named after constellations, and N/S streets are generally named after planets. The northern city line is Northern Cross Ave. and the southern line is Southern Cross Ave.

They skip Uranus St and go right from Saturn St to Neptune St, so I wonder if they skipped that to begin with or if they had problems with sign thefts.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Buffaboy

Quote from: GaryV on September 03, 2015, 08:57:53 PM
Quote from: Buffaboy on September 03, 2015, 05:33:01 PM
I don't know if it's been mentioned, but Buffalo has the Fruit Belt:

"Maple," ... "Locust,"

Fruit?

Yeah I don't know, in this "belt" those are just the other names.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.8980361,-78.8574613,1168m/data=!3m1!1e3
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

Bruce

(Thread revival)

There's a part of Renton, WA (the Highlands neighborhood) where the north-south streets are named after counties and other cities in Washington, including other suburbs of Seattle.

From west to east (between I-405 and 156th Avenue SE): Aberdeen, Kennewick, Blaine, Camas, Dayton, Edmonds, Ferndale, Harrington, Index, Jefferson (County), Kirkland, Lynnwood, Monroe, Newport, Olympia, Pierce (County), Redmond, Shelton, Tacoma, Union, Vashon, Anacortes, Bremerton, Chelan, Duvall, Graham, Hoquiaum, Ilwaco, Kitsap (County), Lyons, Mount Baker, Nile, Orcas, Pasco, Quincy, and Rosario (Island).

US 89

In a unique move for Utah cities, Ogden names its grid north-south streets for presidents. US 89 through downtown is Washington Blvd, and the names go up in order east of there, using “Quincy” for the 6th president. The city runs out of room past Buchanan, but the names restart on the other side of Washington, skipping Johnson possibly because he was impeached.

But IMO, the best naming theme is in Dinosaur CO, where streets are named for...you guessed it, dinosaurs. The vast majority of streets are alliterative: US 40 runs through on Brontosaurus Blvd, and the N/S streets include Triceratops Terrace, Antrodemus Alley, Plateosaurus Place, Ceratosaurus Circle, Brachiosaurus Bypass, Camptosaurus Crescent, Diplodicus Drive, and Tyrannosaurus Triangle. There’s also Stegosaurus Freeway (carrying CO 64) and Allosaurus Lane.

US71

Fort Smith uses city names for its E-W streets starting at the 2700 South block , except for Z which is Zero.

North of there, it's alphabet up.

Going north for downtown, it goes up to U St, but aligned NW-SE

North-South Streets are mostly enumerated starting with 2nd.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Avalanchez71

Quote from: wriddle082 on December 08, 2010, 08:52:51 PM
Quote from: mightyace on December 08, 2010, 12:24:01 PM
There is a section of Nashville near the airport with planet named streets.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=bna&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=52.240038,49.921875&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Nashville+International+Airport+(BNA),+Nashville,+Davidson,+Tennessee+37214&ll=36.121878,-86.699102&spn=0.013138,0.012188&z=16

There is also a section of West Nashville where the streets are named after Ford/Lincoln/Mercury automobiles that were produced in the 50s and 60s (Fairlane, Galaxie, Thunderbird, Capri, Continental, Comet, Starliner, Ranchero, Marauder, Sunliner, Edsel, Futura), and other Ford-related names (Henry Ford, River Rouge, Grosse Point, Landau, Fordomatic, Foundry).  This neighborhood (Charlotte Park) was mostly built around the time the nearby Ford glass plant was built in the 50s.

Also in Hermitage, east of Nashville, there is one neighborhood with state capitals (Des Moines, Raleigh, Trenton, Baton Rouge, Phoenix, Frankfort, Atlanta, St. Paul, Albany, Denver, Topeka, Concord, Columbus, Juneau).  They also have a neighborhood with every street named Bonna-something (Bonnawood, Bonnaspring, Bonnacroft, Bonnalynn, Bonnaridge, etc.)
The capital themed street neighborhood is nicknamed "The Nations."

empirestate

Quote from: US 89 on April 12, 2019, 08:13:07 AM
In a unique move for Utah cities, Ogden names its grid north-south streets for presidents. US 89 through downtown is Washington Blvd, and the names go up in order east of there, using "Quincy"  for the 6th president. The city runs out of room past Buchanan, but the names restart on the other side of Washington, skipping Johnson possibly because he was impeached.

Wonder would they do/would do for the Harrisons, or the Bushes?

QuoteBut IMO, the best naming theme is in Dinosaur CO, where streets are named for...you guessed it, dinosaurs. The vast majority of streets are alliterative: US 40 runs through on Brontosaurus Blvd, and the N/S streets include Triceratops Terrace, Antrodemus Alley, Plateosaurus Place, Ceratosaurus Circle, Brachiosaurus Bypass, Camptosaurus Crescent, Diplodicus Drive, and Tyrannosaurus Triangle. There's also Stegosaurus Freeway (carrying CO 64) and Allosaurus Lane.

Must be phone giving one's address over the phone!

kphoger

Quote from: empirestate on April 12, 2019, 01:35:29 PM
Must be phone giving one's address over the phone fun!

FTFY
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

frankenroad

My hometown of Wyoming, Ohio, has pretty generic names in the older part (settled in late 1800s), like Maple, Elm, Clark, Washington, etc.   But in the 50s and 60s some new subdivisions were built and some of the street names are all Western-themed (though not specific to Wyoming): Laramie Trail, Cody Pass, Flagstaff Dr, Abilene Trail, Morts Pass, Cochise Ct, etc....

Our high school team is the Cowboys.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

kphoger

Wouldn't it be cool if there were a neighborhood whose streets were all named after assassins and serial killers?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

skluth

Quote from: peterj920 on August 19, 2015, 06:21:38 PM
Green Bay, WI names streets after Presidents from Washington to Van Buren, and they named the next street after Daniel Webster because the community was very confident that he was going to win the election against William Henry Harrison.  When Harrison won, they decided to abandon the theme.

LOL.  :-D  Thanks. I grew up in Allouez and never knew why it went to Webster (followed by Clay) before jumping back to presidents one time with Roosevelt.

cwf1701

Quote from: Mark68 on March 07, 2012, 04:46:48 AM
There is a section of Riverside, CA, that is called "Wood Streets". It's an older neighborhood (nice, tree-lined streets), probably dating from the 1910s-1920s, where the east-west (technically WNW-ESE) streets have names like Larchwood, Beechwood, Elmwood, Linwood, Oakwood, Rosewood, Edgewood, Brentwood, & Maplewood.

Sounds like a section of my old town of Eastpointe MI.  There was a Elmwood, Linwood, Maplewood, Birchwood, Beachwood, Cresentwood, Oakwood, and Firwood. All was located near Hayes.

Both Warren and Roseville MI had a section named for Car makers (Brands) of the 1920s.

bing101

https://farm5.static.flickr.com/4062/4291964279_8098dd6de3.jpg

Disney Way because of Disneyland and California Adventure in Anaheim, CA.

mgk920

Quote from: US 89 on April 12, 2019, 08:13:07 AM
In a unique move for Utah cities, Ogden names its grid north-south streets for presidents. US 89 through downtown is Washington Blvd, and the names go up in order east of there, using "Quincy"  for the 6th president. The city runs out of room past Buchanan, but the names restart on the other side of Washington, skipping Johnson possibly because he was impeached.

For a row of streets to be named in straight order after USA presidents, with no duplications, the list as of now would be:

1 - Washington
2 - Adams
3 - Jefferson
4 - Madison
5 - Monroe
(5.1 - John Quincy Adams)
6 - Jackson
7 - Van Buren
8 - Harrison
9 - Tyler
10 - Polk
11 - Taylor
12 - Fillmore
13 - Pierce
14 - Buchanon
15 - Lincoln
16 - Johnson
17 - Grant
18 - Hayes
19 - Garfield
20 - Arthur
21 - Cleveland
(21.1 - Benjamin Harrison)
(21.2 - Cleveland - 2nd term)
22 - McKinley
23 - Roosevelt
24 - Taft
25 - Wilson
26 - Harding
27 - Coolidge
28 - Hoover
(28.1 - Franklin D. Roosevelt)
29 - Truman
30 - Eisenhower
31 - Kennedy
(31.1 - Lyndon B. Johnson)
32 - Nixon
33 - Ford
34 - Carter
35 - Reagan
36 - Bush
37 - Clinton
(37.1 - George W. Bush)
38 - Obama
39 - Trump

I can see the potential for confusions between Tyler and Taylor, though.  :meh:

Mike

mrose

The neighborhood I grew up in had streets named after famous universities. I lived on Cambridge, and there was Harvard, Yale, Dartmouth, Cornell, Oxford, and Princeton.

My in-laws in Australia live in a subdivision with streets named after famous cricketers. Bradman, Benaud, Simpson, Hassett, Chappell, Border are a few of them.

Oddly enough there is a subdivision in Highlands Ranch (CO) where the streets are Australian cities and towns - Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide, Canberra, Townsville, Hobart, Darwin, Newcastle, Perth, Rockhampton, Launceston, etc..

empirestate

Quote from: mgk920 on April 16, 2019, 08:15:10 PM

For a row of streets to be named in straight order after USA presidents, with no duplications, the list as of now would be:

[snipped]

Right. Since, for 5.1, they've used "Qunicy", I wonder what name they'd use for 21.1, 28.1 (probably "Delano"), 31.1 and 37.1
(I'm guessing they wouldn't need one for 21.2, since the streets are likely named for the presidents, not the presidencies.)

mgk920

Quote from: empirestate on April 17, 2019, 11:43:47 AM
Quote from: mgk920 on April 16, 2019, 08:15:10 PM

[snipped]

Right. Since, for 5.1, they've used "Qunicy", I wonder what name they'd use for 21.1, 28.1 (probably "Delano"), 31.1 and 37.1
(I'm guessing they wouldn't need one for 21.2, since the streets are likely named for the presidents, not the presidencies.)

Hmmmmm.  Interesting question.

21.1 - 'Benjamin'?
31.1 - 'Lyndon'?
37.1 - 'Walker'?

:hmmm:

Mike

hotdogPi

Quote from: mgk920 on April 17, 2019, 08:18:30 PM
37.1 - 'Walker'?

I immediately thought of someone else – and you're the one that's from Wisconsin!
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

paulthemapguy

Joliet, IL has a section where the streets are all named after....rocks.  This gives a whole new meaning to the name it calls itself on the billboards--"The City of Excitement" LMAO

The most heavily travelled of these east-west "rock" streets is the street IL-53 uses to cross the Des Plaines River:  Ruby Street. https://www.google.com/maps/@41.53649,-88.0880702,17.33z
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

X99

In Rapid City, SD, in the space of East North Street, East Boulevard North, Lacrosse Street, and SD 44, the east-west streets are named after populous cities in the US (New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Chicago, St. Louis), while the north-south streets seem to be named after cities in Wisconsin (Milwaukee, Racine, Waterloo, Lacrosse)

Seems a little weird to me that not all of the streets are named after presidents, considering the proximity to Mount Rushmore.
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

Mark68

Quote from: X99 on April 29, 2019, 10:58:56 AM
In Rapid City, SD, in the space of East North Street, East Boulevard North, Lacrosse Street, and SD 44, the east-west streets are named after populous cities in the US (New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Chicago, St. Louis), while the north-south streets seem to be named after cities in Wisconsin (Milwaukee, Racine, Waterloo, Lacrosse)

Seems a little weird to me that not all of the streets are named after presidents, considering the proximity to Mount Rushmore.

The part that seems weird to me is that Rapid City has all the presidential statues on downtown street corners, with none of the streets named after presidents.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

empirestate

Quote from: Mark68 on April 29, 2019, 01:27:46 PM

The part that seems weird to me is that Rapid City has all the presidential statues on downtown street corners, with none of the streets named after presidents.

Well, when were the streets named? Mt. Rushmore isn't all that old of a monument, and Rapid City isn't particularly associated with presidents otherwise, is it?

X99

Quote from: empirestate on April 29, 2019, 02:12:37 PM

Well, when were the streets named? Mt. Rushmore isn't all that old of a monument, and Rapid City isn't particularly associated with presidents otherwise, is it?
So you're saying you can't rename streets?
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

TEG24601

Quote from: X99 on April 29, 2019, 02:24:57 PM
Quote from: empirestate on April 29, 2019, 02:12:37 PM

So you're saying you can't rename streets?

Depends on city rules.  For example, in Portland, OR, there is a petition process, along with getting businesses along the street to agree, filling out forms, having hearings, and raising money; and it can only be done once per year.  That is, unless you are the city, and they just changed street names willy-nilly (which is why Portland Ave became Rosa Parks Way, with no warning... or 39th Avenue became Cesar Chavez Way), and then block the legitimate attempts to rename street names (which is why 39th changed, instead of 42nd becoming Douglas Adams Blvd).

In cases where there is a limit to how much and how often they can enact changes, it may be easier to just not deal with it, and think about those sorts of things when new roads/streets are built.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

roadman65

I never realized this but in Orlando there is a Princeton Street.  Just always thought coincidental that it was named after the city in NJ that a lot of you all hate being used as a control city on I-295 N Bound in Mercer County.

Then I drove Edgewater Drive in Orlando at Princeton Street and noticed the names of nearby streets such as Harvard and Yale along with Dartmouth Streets and being its neighborhood in Orlando is called College Park I then realized that Princeton was named after the New Jersey borough.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.