AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: New Jersey Turnpike  (Read 1247384 times)

vdeane

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:10:05 PM
    • New York State Roads
Re: New Jersey Turnpike
« Reply #4500 on: June 18, 2022, 05:10:55 PM »

The New York State Thruway is in the process of rehabbing their service areas.  However, they do not close them down completely but rather they keep fuel services available at all of those service plazas for the convenience of the motorists.  That idea probably never was in the NJTA’s thought process.
The Thruway service areas are being done as a P3 deal where the new operator of the buildings is replacing/rehabilitating them and then reopening them with new tenants.  The fuel areas are a separate contract and are not part of this project.  It is worth noting that the Thruway will not shut down two consecutive service areas in the same direction.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

roadman65

• Last Login: Today at 01:45:43 AM
« Reply #4501 on: June 19, 2022, 07:28:18 AM »

They have to be redone sometime. Even rest areas get shut down.  The one on I-75 in Hernando County, Florida is currently shit down to build a new restroom facility and revamp the parking lot.   The one following it remains open as the one before it.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

famartin

• Last Login: December 24, 2023, 11:01:16 PM
« Reply #4502 on: June 19, 2022, 07:38:26 AM »

They have to be redone sometime. Even rest areas get shut down.  The one on I-75 in Hernando County, Florida is currently shit down to build a new restroom facility and revamp the parking lot.   The one following it remains open as the one before it.
:-D

1995hoo

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 04:22:06 PM
« Reply #4503 on: June 19, 2022, 09:15:35 AM »

They have to be redone sometime. Even rest areas get shut down.  The one on I-75 in Hernando County, Florida, is currently shit down to build a new restroom facility and revamp the parking lot.   The one following it remains open as the one before it.

Well, seeing as how that’s a major reason for restrooms…

:bigass:
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadman65

« Reply #4504 on: June 19, 2022, 10:16:02 AM »

Plumbing and such. ADA ramps etc. More stalls. More eco friendly.

Plus they get old.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

• Last Login: March 15, 2024, 01:57:58 PM
« Reply #4505 on: June 19, 2022, 01:20:43 PM »

The New York State Thruway is in the process of rehabbing their service areas.  However, they do not close them down completely but rather they keep fuel services available at all of those service plazas for the convenience of the motorists.  That idea probably never was in the NJTA’s thought process.
The Thruway service areas are being done as a P3 deal where the new operator of the buildings is replacing/rehabilitating them and then reopening them with new tenants.  The fuel areas are a separate contract and are not part of this project.  It is worth noting that the Thruway will not shut down two consecutive service areas in the same direction.

The NJTA contracts are basically the same thing. The operator is doing the work in exchange for an extension on their concession agreement. Some of them have kept their fuel stations operating during shutdown but not all. The NJTA will also not close consecutive service areas in the same vein.

vdeane

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:10:05 PM
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #4506 on: June 19, 2022, 07:56:43 PM »

^ On the Thruway, the building operator and the fuel operator are not the same.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

roadman65

« Reply #4507 on: June 21, 2022, 09:08:11 AM »

Its amazing how the way the service plazas are run.  The authority owns the land, the building is owned by another party, and the company who runs the business is another.

Newark Airport is the same way.  The city owns the airport and land, the Port Authority manages the facility, but the airline tenants maintain the areas of the check ins, baggage carousel, and gate areas.

Sheryl Crowe

lstone19

• Last Login: March 13, 2024, 04:43:34 PM
« Reply #4508 on: June 21, 2022, 10:00:12 AM »

Its amazing how the way the service plazas are run.  The authority owns the land, the building is owned by another party, and the company who runs the business is another.

Newark Airport is the same way.  The city owns the airport and land, the Port Authority manages the facility, but the airline tenants maintain the areas of the check ins, baggage carousel, and gate areas.

That's not uncommon for commercial leases.

roadman65

« Reply #4509 on: June 22, 2022, 07:33:09 AM »

Hospitals are the most common hence why you get several bills instead of one. Even the ER is a separate entity from the actual hospital.

Sheryl Crowe

odditude

• Last Login: Today at 01:39:12 AM
« Reply #4510 on: June 22, 2022, 11:20:48 AM »

Hospitals are the most common hence why you get several bills instead of one. Even the ER is a separate entity from the actual hospital.

the complexities of our healthcare system are way outside the scope of this conversation.

your average corporate building is owned by one company, operated by another (building management), and then leased by one or more tenants.

roadman65

« Reply #4511 on: August 31, 2022, 07:37:32 PM »

https://www.njtat100523.com/contact-us

Contact the NJTA about the 83-88 project if you want to address concerns.

https://americanbridge.fandom.com/wiki/Basilone_Bridge
The toll for the Basilone Bridge can’t be correct here.  The bridge is not a separate entity of the Turnpike.   Plus I doubt it’s $4.50 between Exits 9-10.  Though, slightly possible, but considering it was $ 0.15 in the late seventies to go from 9-11, I doubt that much of a hike in forty years.

Edit: https://www.njta.com/toll-calculator

That article is wrong.  The NJTA shows $1.25 from 9-10.

That’s 733.33% in forty plus years.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 07:54:09 PM by roadman65 »

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

• Last Login: March 15, 2024, 01:57:58 PM
« Reply #4512 on: August 31, 2022, 11:54:27 PM »

The PA doesn't even manage most of it. Terminal A is operated by a concession company (who will also operate the new Terminal A when it's completed), C is completely run by United. Only B is managed by the PA these days.

bluecountry

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 02:30:09 PM
« Reply #4513 on: September 07, 2022, 09:07:20 PM »

So what is going with construction on the NB turnpike at MMs:  74, 78, 86, and just before exit 18?

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #4514 on: September 07, 2022, 10:46:13 PM »

So what is going with construction on the NB turnpike at MMs:  74, 78, 86, and just before exit 18?
If it's isolated areas, it's often either repairing drainage or fixing light posts. Little stuff like that.

jeffandnicole

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:52:41 PM
« Reply #4515 on: September 17, 2022, 08:36:42 AM »

Recently, a 'virtual room' was created for the upcoming Interchange 1 - 4 project.  With a setting of a nice, airy exhibit hall, the room currently shows some basic info such as a general flyover, project goals and a view then (1950s) and now (2020s) pictures.

https://aecomviz.com/NJTA1-4CEP-2022/

74/171FAN

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:01:22 PM
« Reply #4516 on: September 17, 2022, 08:50:05 AM »

The flyover video erroneously shows an I-95 shield on this section.   :no:
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

02 Park Ave

• Happy motoring!

• Last Login: March 07, 2024, 07:17:45 PM
« Reply #4517 on: September 17, 2022, 11:54:05 AM »

A Turnpike southbound to I-295 southbound/I-295 northbound to Turnpike northbound connection at Woodcrest would alleviate traffic on the Turnpike and eliminate the need for extravagant widening south of there.
C-o-H

jeffandnicole

« Reply #4518 on: September 17, 2022, 12:23:43 PM »

A Turnpike southbound to I-295 southbound/I-295 northbound to Turnpike northbound connection at Woodcrest would alleviate traffic on the Turnpike and eliminate the need for extravagant widening south of there.

South of that point on 295 already operates at an E/F, and the current 295/76/42 project will reduce, but not eliminate, congestion on certain areas of that corridor. Traffic, as it currently is, doesn't take 95 because the Turnpike is normally the quickest route...even when factoring in congestion. When given the option at the Del Mem Bridge, traffic often takes the Turnpike rather than 295 for long distance travel, even though taking 295 will save several dollars in tolls.

The widening is needed, and offering improved  alternatives has shown to do little to encourage traffic to bypass the Turnpike.

famartin

« Reply #4519 on: September 17, 2022, 03:47:03 PM »

South of that point on 295 already operates at an E/F, and the current 295/76/42 project will reduce, but not eliminate, congestion on certain areas of that corridor. Traffic, as it currently is, doesn't take 95 because the Turnpike is normally the quickest route...even when factoring in congestion. When given the option at the Del Mem Bridge, traffic often takes the Turnpike rather than 295 for long distance travel, even though taking 295 will save several dollars in tolls.

The widening is needed, and offering improved  alternatives has shown to do little to encourage traffic to bypass the Turnpike.

I wonder if a well-designed interchange at 42 (ignoring property and environmental constraints) would be enough to alleviate congestion on the southern section. (Of course it’s not likely to happen).

jeffandnicole

« Reply #4520 on: September 17, 2022, 06:19:17 PM »

I wonder if a well-designed interchange at 42 (ignoring property and environmental constraints) would be enough to alleviate congestion on the southern section. (Of course it’s not likely to happen).

It won't fully happen, but it's not totally that interchange's fault. There's "pockets" of congestion on 295 South some days: NJ 73 to NJ 70. Then speeds pick up. Some days it bogs down again from around 561 to past US 30. Anytime traffic picks up to 55 to 65 mph or above, that area's congestion is independent of the 295/76/42 interchange. Now...should we see fewer jams on that stretch from 73 to 42? Yep. And certainly congestion due to crashes in the Aljo curve will be eliminated.

Tying this in with the Turnpike: wherever there's an issue on the Turnpike south of Interchange 4, the extra traffic that does come over to 295 quickly congests 295.

On the NB side of 295, it'll be even worse. We are seeing it already where traffic bogs down between the widened area just north of 76/42 thru NJ 168 before it picks up speed (although the current lane configuration assists with this issue). There's a few areas where it congests again, around 561, and some days around 70 & 73. As this is north of the 295/76/42 interchange, the project will not affect that traffic...If anything , it'll help get more traffic to these areas quicker, aiding in the congestion.

Based on the plans, I think the 295/76/42 revamped interchange will actually be pretty decent; the only criticism I have with the plans are the 2 lane ramps merge down to one lane too soon around the gore point.  Overall it will definitely help traffic. There's just too much else going on nearby and not enough capacity downstream to fully allow the interchange to meet its full potential.

famartin

« Reply #4521 on: September 17, 2022, 06:38:12 PM »

It won't fully happen, but it's not totally that interchange's fault. There's "pockets" of congestion on 295 South some days: NJ 73 to NJ 70. Then speeds pick up. Some days it bogs down again from around 561 to past US 30. Anytime traffic picks up to 55 to 65 mph or above, that area's congestion is independent of the 295/76/42 interchange. Now...should we see fewer jams on that stretch from 73 to 42? Yep. And certainly congestion due to crashes in the Aljo curve will be eliminated.

Tying this in with the Turnpike: wherever there's an issue on the Turnpike south of Interchange 4, the extra traffic that does come over to 295 quickly congests 295.

On the NB side of 295, it'll be even worse. We are seeing it already where traffic bogs down between the widened area just north of 76/42 thru NJ 168 before it picks up speed (although the current lane configuration assists with this issue). There's a few areas where it congests again, around 561, and some days around 70 & 73. As this is north of the 295/76/42 interchange, the project will not affect that traffic...If anything , it'll help get more traffic to these areas quicker, aiding in the congestion.

Based on the plans, I think the 295/76/42 revamped interchange will actually be pretty decent; the only criticism I have with the plans are the 2 lane ramps merge down to one lane too soon around the gore point.  Overall it will definitely help traffic. There's just too much else going on nearby and not enough capacity downstream to fully allow the interchange to meet its full potential.

I think we had a miscommunication… I meant a well designed interchange between 42 and the turnpike, which might allow more traffic to transfer over to 295 southbound easily via 42 when the southbound turnpike gets congested, and vice versa northbound.

But yeah, the backups southbound at exit 4 have become semi routine, so widening is called for regardless.

jeffandnicole

« Reply #4522 on: September 17, 2022, 06:43:03 PM »

I think we had a miscommunication… I meant a well designed interchange between 42 and the turnpike, which might allow more traffic to transfer over to 295 southbound easily via 42 when the southbound turnpike gets congested, and vice versa northbound.

Oh. Ha. At least I got that off my chest! LOL

Yes...that will certainly help the overall traffic flow in the entire region. I believe it is something they are considering, based on what has been published on the Turnpike's website over the past year (although an interchange at 42 is not specifically referenced, so they could be looking at other interchange options also).

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #4523 on: September 18, 2022, 01:24:18 AM »

*has to keep his mouth shut but has answers to SO MANY TOPICS brought up in the last 24 hours*

D-Dey65

• Last Login: Today at 12:48:08 AM
    • I-95; Still not finished in Boston, Central New Jersey, or Washington, D.C.
« Reply #4524 on: September 18, 2022, 06:57:29 PM »

Ummm, that's Sumter County, not Hernando.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.