AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: New Jersey Turnpike  (Read 1247344 times)

bluecountry

• Last Login: Today at 02:30:09 PM
Re: New Jersey Turnpike
« Reply #4525 on: September 19, 2022, 07:33:18 AM »

A Turnpike southbound to I-295 southbound/I-295 northbound to Turnpike northbound connection at Woodcrest would alleviate traffic on the Turnpike and eliminate the need for extravagant widening south of there.
Yeh there should definitely be a connection between 95 in NJ and 295 by exit 6.

bluecountry

« Reply #4526 on: September 19, 2022, 07:33:54 AM »

Anybody else notice SB before exit 7A the NJTP is signed as 'Philadelphia'?
Are they gradually finally adding Philly as the control city?

Ted$8roadFan

• Last Login: Today at 07:17:40 PM
« Reply #4527 on: September 19, 2022, 07:56:04 AM »

I’m guessing that since there is now a literal link between the Turnpike and 95 to Philadelphia that the signage would follow.

famartin

• Last Login: December 24, 2023, 11:01:16 PM
« Reply #4528 on: September 19, 2022, 10:41:02 AM »

GSV hasn’t been updated for about a year so pics would be nice (tho I’m not really that far away so if I cared enuf…)

bluecountry

« Reply #4529 on: September 29, 2022, 07:00:34 PM »

I’m guessing that since there is now a literal link between the Turnpike and 95 to Philadelphia that the signage would follow.
So are they going to start doing this with all replacement signs?
That 'Trenton' directional city always irritated me.

PHLBOS

• Last Login: February 02, 2024, 08:18:30 PM
« Reply #4530 on: September 30, 2022, 09:50:18 PM »

I believe such, the placing of Philadelphia on southbound pull-through signs (thus far), only took place at interchanges 7A & 7 where the previous legend listed Camden.  As of 2 weeks ago (Sept. 16), the ramp sign for I-95/NJTP southbound from the Exit 7A toll plaza still listed Camden.

While the reasoning for using Philly is obvious; given that this stretch of highway north of Exit 6 is technically a concurrency (I-95 & NJTP), it would've been better IMHO to use a 2-line Philadelphia/Wilmington legend (yes, such would mean replacement sign panels) at those locations.

The use of Trenton on southbound signage north of Exit 7A still makes sense because Trenton is NJ's capital & one has a direct connection to it from I-95/NJTP via I-195/NJ 29.  Yes, I'm aware of the placement of Philadelphia on the GSP southbound signage for Exit 129 but the northbound signage as well as the ramp signage from the toll plaza still lists Trenton.

Moving further south to Exit 5: why were the overhead interchange signs, in both directions, replaced with ground-mounted 1/4-mile advance signs (still no CR 537 shields) within the past year?  Interestingly, if not ironically, the now-gone southbound NJTP pull-through BGS at this interchange went from listing Wilmington to Camden.

GPS does NOT equal GOD

storm2k

• Last Login: March 15, 2024, 01:57:58 PM
« Reply #4531 on: September 30, 2022, 10:13:46 PM »

I believe such, the placing of Philadelphia on southbound pull-through signs (thus far), only took place at interchanges 7A & 7 where the previous legend listed Camden.  As of 2 weeks ago (Sept. 16), the ramp sign for I-95/NJTP southbound from the Exit 7A toll plaza still listed Camden.

While the reasoning for using Philly is obvious; given that this stretch of highway north of Exit 6 is technically a concurrency (I-95 & NJTP), it would've been better IMHO to use a 2-line Philadelphia/Wilmington legend (yes, such would mean replacement sign panels) at those locations.

The use of Trenton on southbound signage north of Exit 7A still makes sense because Trenton is NJ's capital & one has a direct connection to it from I-95/NJTP via I-195/NJ 29.  Yes, I'm aware of the placement of Philadelphia on the GSP southbound signage for Exit 129 but the northbound signage as well as the ramp signage from the toll plaza still lists Trenton.

Moving further south to Exit 5: why were the overhead interchange signs, in both directions, replaced with ground-mounted 1/4-mile advance signs (still no CR 537 shields) within the past year?  Interestingly, if not ironically, the now-gone southbound NJTP pull-through BGS at this interchange went from listing Wilmington to Camden.

I believe those structures were due to be replaced, they were old (they were the older galvanized ones and not the newer pre-rusted ones). Not sure why they didn't put up new overhead structures there, but they may do that later on. Even on the southern section of the roadway south of the dual-dual lanes where they're pretty content with the advance approach signage being ground mount, they still put the exit point signage on overhead structures.

DrSmith

• Last Login: March 10, 2024, 11:12:03 PM
« Reply #4532 on: October 01, 2022, 12:58:02 PM »

I believe those structures were due to be replaced, they were old (they were the older galvanized ones and not the newer pre-rusted ones). Not sure why they didn't put up new overhead structures there, but they may do that later on. Even on the southern section of the roadway south of the dual-dual lanes where they're pretty content with the advance approach signage being ground mount, they still put the exit point signage on overhead structures.

As it is installed on wooden posts, that may mean this is temporary until foundations are done for a permanent structure.

jeffandnicole

• Last Login: Today at 06:41:59 PM
« Reply #4533 on: October 01, 2022, 02:30:38 PM »

At the same meeting the Turnpike Authority awarded the bid for going cashless on its highways, they also approved a bid to demolish the Turnpike's original administration building still seen at Interchange 9.  The contract calls for the building to be demolished over the next year, although first some hazardous materials including asbestos, lead and mold will need to be removed first.  It'll then be available for 'redevelopment', but doesn't go into more specifics than that.

odditude

• Last Login: March 15, 2024, 05:52:38 PM
« Reply #4534 on: October 01, 2022, 03:04:01 PM »

exit 5 is 541; exit 7A is 537. same applies, though.

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: Today at 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #4535 on: October 02, 2022, 08:06:11 AM »

At the same meeting the Turnpike Authority awarded the bid for going cashless on its highways, they also approved a bid to demolish the Turnpike's original administration building still seen at Interchange 9.  The contract calls for the building to be demolished over the next year, although first some hazardous materials including asbestos, lead and mold will need to be removed first.  It'll then be available for 'redevelopment', but doesn't go into more specifics than that.
That's sad. I've actually been there. RIP history.

famartin

« Reply #4536 on: October 02, 2022, 08:16:49 AM »

7A is 526 if anything. 537 is closest to 4.

jeffandnicole

« Reply #4537 on: October 02, 2022, 11:47:08 AM »

Been in there twice for interviews: P/T toll collector; F/T Accountant which I determined would be too far of a drive everyday...and that's before they moved admin to Woodbridge.

Rothman

• Last Login: Today at 07:50:09 PM
« Reply #4538 on: October 02, 2022, 01:03:07 PM »

Wonder when the NY Thruway Admin building will be renovated or demolished.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Alps

• y u m

• Alps' Roads
« Reply #4539 on: October 02, 2022, 03:27:44 PM »

Been in there twice for interviews: P/T toll collector; F/T Accountant which I determined would be too far of a drive everyday...and that's before they moved admin to Woodbridge.
IIRC after Woodbridge the old parkway building was still used for administrative meetings.

odditude

« Reply #4540 on: October 02, 2022, 05:57:40 PM »

7A is 526 if anything. 537 is closest to 4.
yeah, i'm an idiot; 7A is I-195, of course. 537 passes under the Turnpike very close to NJ 38's overpass.

i had a brain fart and was thinking 7A provide *direct* access to Six Flags, which is on 537 via 195.

roadman65

• Last Login: Today at 10:16:03 PM
« Reply #4541 on: October 03, 2022, 07:08:12 PM »

I think we all know what you meant. CR 541 has not had a shield since as long as I can remember.   It seems signing county routes is not a thing NJTA likes on the Turnpike. However I’m surprised that the SB ramp to NJ 140 further south got CR 540 shields on that, as for years even NJ 140 never got mentioned.

It was “Penns Grove” Deepwater only on the original gore sign beyond the former Exit 1 Plaza for many decades.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

famartin

« Reply #4542 on: October 03, 2022, 08:26:44 PM »

I think we all know what you meant. CR 541 has not had a shield since as long as I can remember.   It seems signing county routes is not a thing NJTA likes on the Turnpike. However I’m surprised that the SB ramp to NJ 140 further south got CR 540 shields on that, as for years even NJ 140 never got mentioned.

It was “Penns Grove” Deepwater only on the original gore sign beyond the former Exit 1 Plaza for many decades.

NJTA does sign CR's on the post-plaza ramps at 10 and 8A.

bluecountry

« Reply #4543 on: October 08, 2022, 07:24:43 PM »

I disagree on Trenton, it is not a major destination, and there is not a direct route, 95 doesn't got there and I-195 does not either.
By your logic, 95NB should list 'Newark' before NYC.

odditude

« Reply #4544 on: October 10, 2022, 04:28:51 PM »

I disagree on Trenton, it is not a major destination, and there is not a direct route, 95 doesn't got there and I-195 does not either.
saying "I-195 doesn't go to Trenton" is the same kind of missing-the-forest-for-the-trees logic that "I-80 doesn't go to New York City" is.

jeffandnicole

« Reply #4545 on: October 10, 2022, 04:55:28 PM »

saying "I-195 doesn't go to Trenton" is the same kind of missing-the-forest-for-the-trees logic that "I-80 doesn't go to New York City" is.

Or the NJ Turnpike NB doesn't go to NYC (from the Delaware Memorial Bridge), nor does it go to Camden and Wilmington SB. The AC Expressway doesn't go to Camden WB. NJ 42 doesn't go to Philadelphia, Camden, or the bridges.  The GS Parkway doesn't go to Cape May. NJ 55 doesn’t go to Bellmawr and Camden. The list really goes on and on...

D-Dey65

• Last Login: Today at 07:09:32 AM
    • I-95; Still not finished in Boston, Central New Jersey, or Washington, D.C.
« Reply #4546 on: October 11, 2022, 12:18:38 AM »

I just found out the toll plazas near Secaucus Junction no longer accept cash. Are there any toll plazas on the Turnpike that still do?
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Approaching_NJ_Turnpike_exit_15X_tollbooth_(3),_April_2022.jpg

I also see a big problem with the newer VMS signs; frequent pixelation;
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:New_Jersey_Turnpike_North_-_MM49_Car_Truck_Lane_Splits_(49818419752).jpg

Alps

• y u m

• Alps' Roads
« Reply #4547 on: October 11, 2022, 12:20:38 AM »

I just found out the toll plazas near Secaucus Junction no longer accept cash. Are there any toll plazas on the Turnpike that still do?
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Approaching_NJ_Turnpike_exit_15X_tollbooth_(3),_April_2022.jpg

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:New_Jersey_Turnpike_North_-_MM49_Car_Truck_Lane_Splits_(49818419752).jpg
Um - the first one approaches the ENTRY. You don't pay to enter. You take a ticket. The second one is the CAMERA problem, not the VMS.

Mr. Matté

• Last Login: Today at 11:39:24 AM
« Reply #4548 on: October 11, 2022, 09:45:20 AM »

First pic (at least it's mine :) ) is really just a faded E-ZPass logo (since ticket grabbing/cash payments can't be done in the E-ZPass only lanes), second is just 60 Hz mains electricity in action.

D-Dey65

• Last Login: Today at 07:09:32 AM
    • I-95; Still not finished in Boston, Central New Jersey, or Washington, D.C.
« Reply #4549 on: October 11, 2022, 10:54:03 AM »

The second one is the CAMERA problem, not the VMS.
I hate to say this, but I've seen that without any cameras too.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.