AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: New Jersey Turnpike  (Read 1247456 times)

storm2k

• Last Login: March 15, 2024, 01:57:58 PM
Re: New Jersey Turnpike
« Reply #4475 on: May 20, 2022, 03:30:15 PM »

He asked this last year, i seem to recall.

And I (and others) probably replied with the same response lol.

jeffandnicole

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:52:41 PM
« Reply #4476 on: May 20, 2022, 05:17:35 PM »

Why doesn't the NJTP like doing a 4 lane design?
I think between exit 6 and 4 that would be best.

You've asked this numerous times, been told to stop, and anyways the 4 lane design already exists between Exits 11 & 13A in the outer roadways.

roadman65

• Last Login: Today at 03:14:22 AM
« Reply #4477 on: May 21, 2022, 12:32:42 AM »

Are you related to an Ethanman in Fairfax, VA?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

sprjus4

• Last Login: Today at 01:46:42 AM
« Reply #4478 on: May 21, 2022, 09:55:28 AM »

And soon enough, he’ll tell you that 4 lanes is adequate south of Exit 4 and should not be widened to 6 lanes despite its obvious need.

famartin

• Last Login: December 24, 2023, 11:01:16 PM
« Reply #4479 on: May 21, 2022, 10:53:11 AM »

And soon enough, he’ll tell you that 4 lanes is adequate south of Exit 4 and should not be widened to 6 lanes despite its obvious need.

It occurs to me that his comments may be purely personal interest... he uses 4-6, so wants more lanes, but doesn't use 1-4 and doesn't want the money which could go to 4-6 siphoned off for 1-4.

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #4480 on: May 21, 2022, 11:03:04 AM »

And soon enough, you'll see new bridges being built to 6 lanes wide and realize that's not an argument to bother with. (There are already several that fall into that category, anything rebuilt from original basically.)

fwydriver405

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:48:14 PM
« Reply #4481 on: May 21, 2022, 01:34:28 PM »

Short question to ask, but ever since the 16/18 E toll plaza reconstruction, have they re-instated the 16 E toll for those wanting to exit onto NJ 3 / Paterson Plank Rd, or do they still pay the full 18 E toll? Remember hearing there was some kind of compromise in the works to allow certain E-ZPass transponders in certain cities to get the 16 E toll than 18 W but don’t know the full semantics of it.

jeffandnicole

« Reply #4482 on: May 21, 2022, 02:13:49 PM »

Short question to ask, but ever since the 16/18 E toll plaza reconstruction, have they re-instated the 16 E toll for those wanting to exit onto NJ 3 / Paterson Plank Rd, or do they still pay the full 18 E toll? Remember hearing there was some kind of compromise in the works to allow certain E-ZPass transponders in certain cities to get the 16 E toll than 18 W but don’t know the full semantics of it.

The discounted toll was approved in February, starting in March or April ( https://www.njta.com/media/6545/minutes-bm-02-22-2022.pdf , Page 21 of the PDF ). It only applies if your EZ Pass account address is in one of 9 specific municipalities and contains one of 20 specific Zip codes, as shown on Page 29 of that PDF link.

jeffandnicole

« Reply #4483 on: May 21, 2022, 02:37:26 PM »

One of the biggest questions regarding the NJ Turnpike in South Jersey is, why was there never a connection between the NJ Turnpike and Rt. 42.

However...there's a small hint that may be changing - or at least being considered!  This apparently has been posted since January, and has been overlooked by everyone, especially the lousy media this area has.

https://www.njta.com/media/6392/nj1to4wp-program-fact-sheet-january-2022.pdf

Take a look at that link.  Contained within the 3rd paragraph is (emphasis mine): 

The addition of an additional lane in each direction will advance mobility, improve safety, reduce congestion and thereby improve air quality across the Program Corridor. Other Program improvements include geometric and capacity improvements at Interchanges 1, 2, 3 and 4, a potential new interchange to help alleviate congestion on the local roadway network...

Now granted, it doesn't say where in that 30-some mile range a potential new interchange could go.  But let's face it - there's only 1 location where it would go.  There's actually 4 locations where one could make sense - Somewhere down south near NJ 48, at NJ 45, at NJ 47, and NJ 42.  There's no reason for one at NJ 48. NJ 45 & NJ 47 would actually be decent locations to capture the traffic in the area before hitting the main highways, but there's really no room to build one in either location.  So that leaves the one obvious location - the location everyone wishes one will be placed.  It would be great NJ 42 finally connected as part of the widening project forthcoming to the Turnpike!

famartin

• Last Login: December 24, 2023, 11:01:16 PM
« Reply #4484 on: May 21, 2022, 02:47:53 PM »

One of the biggest questions regarding the NJ Turnpike in South Jersey is, why was there never a connection between the NJ Turnpike and Rt. 42.

However...there's a small hint that may be changing - or at least being considered!  This apparently has been posted since January, and has been overlooked by everyone, especially the lousy media this area has.

Take a look at that link.  Contained within the 3rd paragraph is (emphasis mine): 

The addition of an additional lane in each direction will advance mobility, improve safety, reduce congestion and thereby improve air quality across the Program Corridor. Other Program improvements include geometric and capacity improvements at Interchanges 1, 2, 3 and 4, a potential new interchange to help alleviate congestion on the local roadway network...

Now granted, it doesn't say where in that 30-some mile range a potential new interchange could go.  But let's face it - there's only 1 location where it would go.  There's actually 4 locations where one could make sense - Somewhere down south near NJ 48, at NJ 45, at NJ 47, and NJ 42.  There's no reason for one at NJ 48. NJ 45 & NJ 47 would actually be decent locations to capture the traffic in the area before hitting the main highways, but there's really no room to build one in either location.  So that leaves the one obvious location - the location everyone wishes one will be placed.  It would be great NJ 42 finally connected as part of the widening project forthcoming to the Turnpike!
That would be the time to do it, during the widening. 🤞

odditude

• Last Login: Today at 01:39:12 AM
« Reply #4485 on: May 21, 2022, 03:28:18 PM »

disclaimer: no clue if this is practical or not due to geography/permitting/row/etc...

but such an interchange would also ideally tie directly into NJ 55, similar in intent if not design to the reconstructed Exit 8 with NJ 133.

jeffandnicole

« Reply #4486 on: May 21, 2022, 03:56:33 PM »

disclaimer: no clue if this is practical or not due to geography/permitting/row/etc...

but such an interchange would also ideally tie directly into NJ 55, similar in intent if not design to the reconstructed Exit 8 with NJ 133.

I think it's extremely practical to tie it in with 55.  I also think it can be tied in with the new missing moves ramps between 295 & 42 to provide an easy bypass around the 295 corridor from NJ 42/I-76 to NJ 73.  The geography is quite flat; just trees and waterways...where there isn't buildings and houses.

The biggest factor/issue will be the wetlands and river thru the area.  IMO the interchange can be built with direct ramps rather than trumpet ramps thru a central toll plaza.  The ramps can be built mostly elevated to reduce the impact on the wetlands.  Frankly, for NIMBYs looking for a reason to cry about it, they can latch onto the issue of the two parks in the area being too close to potential new ramps - a park in Deptford (the Deptford Sports Complex) and in Runnemede (David L. Venella Memorial Park / Green Acres Park).  These can be easily moved and rebuilt as part of the complex, but people will find a way to use them to prevent something that ultimately will improve their lives and commutes in the region.

It may be a stretch to see if a ramp system could include the missing moves ramps from 42 North to 55 South and 55 North to 42 South, a movement that now involves cutting thru Deptford via Deptford Center Road.  But I think every other connection is possible here.

02 Park Ave

• Happy motoring!

• Last Login: March 07, 2024, 07:17:45 PM
« Reply #4487 on: May 21, 2022, 09:50:15 PM »

If ramps were installed to directly connect the Turnpike with I-295, say around Woodcrest, they would relieve excess traffic on the Turnpike south of there.  Then the Turnpike would only have to be widened from Exit 4 down to that point.  They would save a ton of money.
C-o-H

Alps

• y u m

• Alps' Roads
« Reply #4488 on: May 22, 2022, 12:01:10 AM »

Good and bad news... I know exactly what they're considering, but since I work in the industry I can't share anything with anyone till it's publicized (:

bluecountry

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 02:30:09 PM
« Reply #4489 on: May 22, 2022, 08:36:48 PM »

What would be gained for that? Honestly the traffic mostly flows between those two points, especially with more traffic now diverting off at Exit 6 to follow 95 into PA. The focus needs to be on widening from 1 to 4 from 2 lanes to 3 which is why that's a major focus of the current 10 year plan for the Turnpike Authority.
Disagree.
Going from 6 lanes to 3 is a big drop, it is not congested per say but the volume and flow would be much improved with 4 lanes.

You've asked this numerous times, been told to stop, and anyways the 4 lane design already exists between Exits 11 & 13A in the outer roadways.
That is not the same as being 4-4.

There isn't an obvious need from south of Exit 4, especially exit 3.
I like how the NJTP looks more like the Merrit Parkway in the southern portion and don't see a need to ruin it, but I do see a need for it to be 4-4 to exit 4.

It occurs to me that his comments may be purely personal interest... he uses 4-6, so wants more lanes, but doesn't use 1-4 and doesn't want the money which could go to 4-6 siphoned off for 1-4.
I have driven the length of the NJTP every month for nearly the past 5 years.  I am well aware of where it gets backed up, and the worst to me is on the WS when it goes to 2-2 after the split at exit 16.

Exit 3 and south is fine at 2 lanes, I am always free flowing.

bluecountry

« Reply #4490 on: May 22, 2022, 08:37:50 PM »

Are you related to an Ethanman in Fairfax, VA?
Who?

sprjus4

• Last Login: Today at 01:46:42 AM
« Reply #4491 on: May 22, 2022, 08:38:52 PM »

^ Regardless of your opinion, the Turnpike is going to get expanded to 6 lanes south of Exit 4. Sorry to burst your bubble  :poke:

Alps

• y u m

• Alps' Roads
« Reply #4492 on: May 22, 2022, 10:45:05 PM »

And as far as 8 lanes from interchanges 5-6 (or the split), and to PLEASE STOP BEATING THIS DAMN DEAD HORSE, it's something that's come up before but as I noted, I can only share with you what's publicized, and I'm fairly certain there is nothing public on that matter, so just hold your fingers for now.

bluecountry

« Reply #4493 on: May 31, 2022, 09:55:00 PM »

And as far as 8 lanes from interchanges 5-6 (or the split), and to PLEASE STOP BEATING THIS DAMN DEAD HORSE, it's something that's come up before but as I noted, I can only share with you what's publicized, and I'm fairly certain there is nothing public on that matter, so just hold your fingers for now.
I think you or somebody said once the NJTPA does not like a 4-4 setup, I wanted to know why.

Alps

• y u m

• Alps' Roads
« Reply #4494 on: June 01, 2022, 12:39:57 AM »

I think you or somebody said once the NJTPA does not like a 4-4 setup, I wanted to know why.
NJTA, not NJTPA (the latter is north jersey planning). On the Turnpike specifically, you only have one area with 4 lanes - exits 11-14 outer roadway with HOV lanes during peak hours. Otherwise they're at 3-3. Do they "not like it"? I mean, clearly they prefer 3-3 to a 6 lane single roadway. That's as far as I can go here, that and you keep beating a dead horse.

02 Park Ave

• Happy motoring!

« Reply #4495 on: June 17, 2022, 10:48:20 AM »

Last Sunday night the ramp at Exit 11 to the southbound outer roadway was closed.  The outer roadway itself however was open albeit there were very few cars and trucks traveling on it.  As a result, traffic on the inner roadway was quite heavy and not moving smoothly.  What was the NJTA thinking on a summer Sunday night?  It certainly wasn’t about the convenience of its paying customers.

Now very early this morning there was an accident in the northbound inner roadway south of Exit 7A.  By 6:30 traffic was backed up to Exit 6.  The outer roadway had been closed all night and remained closed.  As I write this at 10:30 there is still congestion.

I would question the competency of the NJTA as now constituted to manage the Turnpike.  From a simple thing such as renumbering the exits to being I-95 mileage based to something more complicated like all electronic tolling they have done nothing. Now they want to embark upon a grandiose expansion plan.  It will be a nightmare for motorists under the current NJTA's management.

The NJTA should be abolished, and a competent organization should be established to take its place.
C-o-H

jeffandnicole

« Reply #4496 on: June 18, 2022, 12:03:41 AM »

Last Sunday night the ramp at Exit 11 to the southbound outer roadway was closed.  The outer roadway itself however was open albeit there were very few cars and trucks traveling on it.  As a result, traffic on the inner roadway was quite heavy and not moving smoothly.  What was the NJTA thinking on a summer Sunday night?  It certainly wasn’t about the convenience of its paying customers.

Now very early this morning there was an accident in the northbound inner roadway south of Exit 7A.  By 6:30 traffic was backed up to Exit 6.  The outer roadway had been closed all night and remained closed.  As I write this at 10:30 there is still congestion.

I would question the competency of the NJTA as now constituted to manage the Turnpike.  From a simple thing such as renumbering the exits to being I-95 mileage based to something more complicated like all electronic tolling they have done nothing. Now they want to embark upon a grandiose expansion plan.  It will be a nightmare for motorists under the current NJTA's management.

The NJTA should be abolished, and a competent organization should be established to take its place.

What?

Maybe they were getting ready to work on that ramp from Exit 11.  Or they were in the process of closing the outer roadway and the few cars you saw were the few remaining cars that got thru on the outer roadway before it was closed.

As for this morning, maybe there was another incident on the outer roadway.  Oh, wait, yeah, there was.  https://midjersey.news/2022/06/17/serious-crash-on-new-jersey-turnpike-in-bordentown-township-under-investigation/

Quoted from that article:

After the initial collision with smaller vehicles, it appeared that the truck crashed through the guardrail between the inner and outer lanes and came to rest, stopping about 1,000 feet later and was completely consumed in fire.

Your poor little self stuck in traffic on the inner roadway was because there had been a truck on fire on the outer roadway.  God forbid the "incompetent" NJTA shut down the outer roadway because of a truck fire.  Guess you should've been completely stopped on that outer roadway that was shut down, rather than delayed on the open roadway.

I'll gladly take the *competent* organization called the NJTA over your unknown knowledge of site-unseen issues anyday.

roadman65

• Last Login: Today at 03:14:22 AM
« Reply #4497 on: June 18, 2022, 08:05:41 AM »

I think we can live without exit numbers not being I-95 mile based as much as we are living with I-70 having an indirect and out of the way connection ( even though on both sides of Breezewood you pass through the same grade separation over a mile apart) with the the PA Turnpike.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

02 Park Ave

• Happy motoring!

« Reply #4498 on: June 18, 2022, 09:43:08 AM »

Let’s take a look at the management of the service area redevelopments on the Turnpike.

When the Pennsylvania Turnpike rehabbed their service plazas a few years ago, they would close down several on the day after Labor Day and have them all reopened by Memorial Day of the following year, at the latest.  Perhaps Molly Pitcher will be reopened by Memorial Day of next year.  We can hope.

The New York State Thruway is in the process of rehabbing their service areas.  However, they do not close them down completely but rather they keep fuel services available at all of those service plazas for the convenience of the motorists.  That idea probably never was in the NJTA’s thought process.
C-o-H

jeffandnicole

« Reply #4499 on: June 18, 2022, 10:12:24 AM »

Let’s take a look at the management of the service area redevelopments on the Turnpike.

When the Pennsylvania Turnpike rehabbed their service plazas a few years ago, they would close down several on the day after Labor Day and have them all reopened by Memorial Day of the following year, at the latest.  Perhaps Molly Pitcher will be reopened by Memorial Day of next year.  We can hope.

The New York State Thruway is in the process of rehabbing their service areas.  However, they do not close them down completely but rather they keep fuel services available at all of those service plazas for the convenience of the motorists.  That idea probably never was in the NJTA’s thought process.

Something happened to you on the Turnpike? Speeding ticket maybe?

The service plazas are being fully rehabbed, inlcuding the fueling ststion areas. The closest open plazas are within 20 miles of the closed plazas - under a tank of gas for most.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.