News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New Jersey Turnpike

Started by hotdogPi, December 22, 2013, 09:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Didn't Exit 7 have long queues before the 1989 relocation of the ramps?

If I remember the relocation of the Exit 7 turnpike side trumpet was moved a half mile to the north along with a new plaza and a curve into the 206 side trumpet.  I know it was for a good reason at the time, but that was close to 44 years ago where I can't remember the exact motivation now.

Yeah, I know it's off topic from Exit 1, but I'm curious to know what that reason is being over forty years ago you remembered that, but now four decades later it becomes more than a memory.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

famartin

Quote from: roadman65 on November 12, 2022, 12:22:50 PM

If I remember the relocation of the Exit 7 turnpike side trumpet was moved a half mile to the north along with a new plaza and a curve into the 206 side trumpet.  I know it was for a good reason at the time, but that was close to 44 years ago where I can't remember the exact motivation now.

Yeah, I know it's off topic from Exit 1, but I'm curious to know what that reason is being over forty years ago you remembered that, but now four decades later it becomes more than a memory.

1989 was only 33 years ago. But otherwise, yes.

roadman65

Quote from: famartin on November 12, 2022, 02:01:28 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on November 12, 2022, 12:22:50 PM

1989 was only 33 years ago. But otherwise, yes.
typo.  Yes 33 not 43.  Then I looked at the 43 and continued with it nor realizing when I wrote four decades.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

famartin

Roadgeek Adam

The aggravating part is if Gov. Christie didn't kill the ARC Tunnel, despite it being flawed in multiple ways, it's probably close to if not done by now.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

SignBridge

Doubtful it would have been even close to being done by now given all the complications and delays the MTA has had with LIRR's Grand Central Project. Apologies for being off-topic.

NJRoadfan

For those wondering why the Exit 1-4 widening is needed, it seems that every time I get on at Exit 4 northbound, there is a backup southbound at the lane drop. This has been happening more frequently, but it really wasn't an issue until the 6-9 widening was completed.

famartin

Quote from: NJRoadfan on January 05, 2023, 04:40:15 PM
For those wondering why the Exit 1-4 widening is needed, it seems that every time I get on at Exit 4 northbound, there is a backup southbound at the lane drop. This has been happening more frequently, but it really wasn't an issue until the 6-9 widening was completed.
100% agree.

MultiMillionMiler

I've experienced that too. There is alot more volume once the road goes from 6 lanes to 4, and this difference is very noticeable, unlike when it goes from 12 to 6, which is surprising cause you'd think 295 would make up for that.

interstate73

So the potential coming of AET on the Turnpike in the next decade has me thinking about Exit 14...

78 and all ramps to and from the Turnpike, 1and9, and local streets converge briefly through the toll plaza then immediately diverge on their separate ways again. How the heck is it going to be possible to make this stretch of road workable without the toll plaza there to (de facto) meter traffic?
🎶 Man, there’s an opera on the Turnpike 🎶

Morris County if the Route 178 Freeway had been built:

jmacswimmer

Quote from: interstate73 on January 05, 2023, 10:39:01 PM
So the potential coming of AET on the Turnpike in the next decade has me thinking about Exit 14...

78 and all ramps to and from the Turnpike, 1and9, and local streets converge briefly through the toll plaza then immediately diverge on their separate ways again. How the heck is it going to be possible to make this stretch of road workable without the toll plaza there to (de facto) meter traffic?

This exact thought crossed my mind when I passed thru that interchange on the way to Metlife Stadium a couple months ago...yeah, there's no ideal solution to that one.  The best I can think of is to take advantage of some of the existing slip ramps on I-78 on either side in order to minimize weaving.

For eastbound, force all traffic not continuing onto the Newark Bay Extension to use this slip ramp to access the mainline turnpike. (Which is already signed that way, funnily enough). Then this onramp would simply split the way it's already signed, and then traffic will at least already be segregated between the mainline and the extension passing thru what would be the former toll plaza area. The only missing movement I can think of in this scenario is local lanes traffic looking to continue east onto the extension, so might need to squeeze a new slip ramp in somewhere for that moment.

Another thought is that you could permanently close the onramp referenced above that joins I-78 between the local & express lanes just before the toll plaza, as traffic both on US 1-9 southbound and coming from the port could simply continue south on US 1-9 to the next entrance to I-78 eastbound just past the string of hotels. Then with the freed-up space, you could add a slip ramp from the local lanes/turnpike mainline ramps back to the express lanes/extension in the toll plaza area.

For westbound coming off the Newark Bay Extension, the movement currently signed for US 1/9 & Newark Airport would become the only way to access the local lanes while the primary lanes would default onto the express lanes with no other option. Meanwhile, the 2-lane offramp from the southbound turnpike to I-78 westbound could split (maybe just after the ramp to I-78 eastbound separates, in order to prevent any additional weaving) and send 1 lane each to the local & express lanes. The only missing movement I can think of here would be from the northbound turnpike to the express lanes, which would either require an additional slip ramp elsewhere or just let it be.

Pardon the crappy doodles, but wanted to at least provide a rough visual aid to my narrative above.

Option retaining the eastbound on-ramp just before the toll plaza:

Option removing that ramp and adding a slip ramp from local to express:
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

roadman65

The EB I-78 Express lanes should default into the Newark Bay Extension and the local lanes the main turnpike.

Signage was originally set up to make it appear that way for years to discourage weaving at the Exit 14 Plaza.  There is the I-78 local to express crossover already to have through I-78 switch to express with Exits 56,57, and 58 have access to both local and express with the exception of the later added NJ 21 ramp that places the motorists on local only lanes. That can be fixed I'm sure.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

The Exit 11 plaza is more challenging to eliminate weaving as going from the Parkway to the Turnpike you have three on ramps into the plaza where you have two split after.

Exiting Exit 11 you have three ramps ( remember the Exit 11 NB truck lanes provides the third) into the plaza and split into two beyond.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on January 06, 2023, 05:25:02 PM
The Exit 11 plaza is more challenging to eliminate weaving as going from the Parkway to the Turnpike you have three on ramps into the plaza where you have two split after.

Exiting Exit 11 you have three ramps ( remember the Exit 11 NB truck lanes provides the third) into the plaza and split into two beyond.

I disagree. If the plaza is removed, there's still enough distance between those three ramps merging before you get to the split for the different directions of the Turnpike. Being able to slim down to 3 or so lanes in that point is actually probably better for traffic flow and safety than the situation now. You can just reconfigure some of the ramps and lengthen the distances before they merge to better accommodate the flow of traffic safely.

14 is going to be the really hard one.

lepidopteran

Quote from: roadman65 on January 06, 2023, 05:25:02 PM
Exiting Exit 11 you have three ramps (remember the Exit 11 NB truck lanes provides the third) into the plaza and split into two beyond.
If there were some way of channeling the trucks from the NJTP truck lanes directly to the US-9 exit, as that's the only route they may take from Exit 11.  But of course, the lanes are for "Cars-Trucks-Buses", so the passenger cars (and buses) would need a chance to get to the Parkway.

NJRoadfan

They'd likely have to do something similar to how the I-78/GSP interchange was setup with braided ramps.

MultiMillionMiler

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadman65

He'll justify saying they're  all the same 😅

Sheryl Crowe

Roadgeek Adam

OMG a toll hike. We're all doomed. Doomed. I mean doomed.

Wait, I'm hearing that this has happened multiple times and people stop caring within a week of the hike.

Oh. Back to your normal scheduled programming.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Scott5114

Regional boards aren't for shoulding.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Mergingtraffic

All this talk about the Exit 1-4 widening, what about the western spur widening??  It's been ignored for years it seems.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

bluecountry

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on January 15, 2023, 05:32:48 PM
All this talk about the Exit 1-4 widening, what about the western spur widening??  It's been ignored for years it seems.
Yea really, THAT should be 6 lanes well before Exit 1-3.

jeffandnicole

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.