News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New Jersey Turnpike

Started by hotdogPi, December 22, 2013, 09:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluecountry

sprjus4

Quote from: bluecountry on January 19, 2023, 06:39:06 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 16, 2023, 11:43:40 PM
Quote from: bluecountry on January 16, 2023, 06:17:28 PM
Yea really, THAT should be 6 lanes well before Exit 1-3.

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 15, 2023, 01:37:53 AM
Regional boards aren't for shoulding.
What's shouldering?
Shoulding is "The cognitive distortion of making statements of what should be true, as opposed to reality."

Scott5114

This thread is for discussing things as they exist now. It is for real things. It is for things that exist. It is for things you can go take a picture of. It is for things that are planned by the Turnpike Authority to exist in the future, that you can probably go take a picture of them in the future.

This thread is not for what you think the road should be like. It is not for fake things. It is not for things that do not exist. It is not for things that are not planned to exist. That is what the the fictional highways board is for.

If this thread does not focus on things that exist, posts and users will be removed from it until it does.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

roadman65

Does the NJTA now own the former Emerada Hess Building in Woodbridge?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on February 11, 2023, 07:36:14 AM

Per this article from 2015 on nj.com, they signed a 15 year lease with an option to buy the building. I haven't ever heard further that they've decided to buy it, but they still have a number of years before they have to make that decision.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 11, 2023, 12:28:45 PM
The Thomas Edison Service Area is now open again, but that other one (forgot which one) has still been closed for almost a year now.

Two are currently closed as they're being rebuilt from the ground up:  The Walt Whitman Service Area between Interchanges 4 & 3 Southbound, and the James Fenimore Cooper Service Area between Interchanges 4 & 5 Northbound.

roadman65

Quote from: storm2k on February 11, 2023, 12:50:03 PM

Per this article from 2015 on nj.com, they signed a 15 year lease with an option to buy the building. I haven't ever heard further that they've decided to buy it, but they still have a number of years before they have to make that decision.

So they closed the building on Route 184 which had been the Parkway's Executive Offices for years?  Ditto for the New Brunswick Turnpike building.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on February 11, 2023, 01:34:34 PM

So they closed the building on Route 184 which had been the Parkway's Executive Offices for years?  Ditto for the New Brunswick Turnpike building.

The turned the old NJHA headquarters into the Statewide Traffic Management Center a number of years ago. Likewise, they moved out of the old headquarters at Exit 9 years ago. They were renting space in Woodbridge on Main Street for a while before they moved to the old Hess building.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: storm2k on February 11, 2023, 07:36:22 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on February 11, 2023, 01:34:34 PM

The turned the old NJHA headquarters into the Statewide Traffic Management Center a number of years ago. Likewise, they moved out of the old headquarters at Exit 9 years ago. They were renting space in Woodbridge on Main Street for a while before they moved to the old Hess building.

And they're readying the old NJTA HQ for demolition.

Roadgeek Adam

Might as well. Old NJTA HQ is on developable land in Middlesex County, which is hard to find. Not 100% sure if they can redo and clean up the ingress and egress of the facility though.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

jeffandnicole

The NJTA updated their 5 year schedule (2023-2027) for major project expenditures.  https://www.njta.com/media/7226/2023-2027_projects-summary-2023-01-10.pdf

The only one that concerns me in my area is the 1-4 widening.  It has significant money budgeted for this year, then 2026 and 2027 when over $700 million is scheduled to go out. Based on earlier schedule estimates, that outflow of cash has been pushed back a year.  Not terribly significant; the widening from 6 - 9 ultimately started a year or two later than originally planned as well. 

Referring to Adam's statement above, nothing on the schedule reflects future NJTA development on the site, but some of the items listed are generic in nature and don't specify locations, and doesn't include future projects where funding starts in or after 2028.  I would imagine it would be some time for that site to be available either way, as demolition of the existing infrastructure hasn't started.

bluecountry

QuoteTPK Grade Separated U-Turns, MP 6.4 - 46.1
What is that, and where is the access from the car truck?

odditude

Quote from: bluecountry on February 14, 2023, 05:39:04 PM
What is that,
go up a ramp, cross over the Turnpike, come down the ramp going the other way. used by employees and police, as it's far safer than pulling a U-turn via a median cut.

Quote from: bluecountryand where is the access from the car truck?
not sure what you're asking.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bluecountry on February 14, 2023, 05:39:04 PM
What is that, and where is the access from the car truck?

This will be for official vehicle u-turns over or under the roadway, rather than turning in the median breaks. 

This will only in the normal 3x3 roadway south of Exit 6, not where there's 4 roadways north of Interchange 6. 

I recall seeing past plans where 2 will be built; one around Woodcrest station between Interchanges 3 & 4, and I forget offhand where the other will be constructed.  I'm not sure if this expands on that plan or not. 

I would guess that they're leaving most of the existing median breaks in; this will just provide for easier access of larger/longer vehicles to access the opposing direction, rather than making u-turns at the interchanges (which, technically, they're not supposed to do, but they do).

jeffandnicole

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 14, 2023, 07:18:37 PM
Could I save money on the Turnpike when joyriding, by using those U turn ramps? Or will they realize that I am literally getting off at the same exit I got on, or only went 1 exit in 2 hours?

If you make a u-turn and exited where you entered, you'll be charged the maximum fare to that exit. 

If you got on one exit and off the next 2 hours later, they won't care.  The machines only show your toll due.  They don't show the length of time you were on the highway.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 14, 2023, 10:24:33 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 14, 2023, 10:13:15 PM
Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 14, 2023, 07:18:37 PM
Could I save money on the Turnpike when joyriding, by using those U turn ramps? Or will they realize that I am literally getting off at the same exit I got on, or only went 1 exit in 2 hours?

If you make a u-turn and exited where you entered, you'll be charged the maximum fare to that exit. 

If you got on one exit and off the next 2 hours later, they won't care.  The machines only show your toll due.  They don't show the length of time you were on the highway.

Better than the maximum fare both ways though! One guy was nice, there was an issue a couple times with machines being out of tickets and I was unable to back up to go to another booth, and the guy down at exit 4, just asked "where did you start" instead of charging the maximum. I was actually honest and tolled him "13", because I was just so relieved I wouldn't have to pay from the GWB when I didn't enter there! Plus with my NY plate, it would be suspicious to say anything south of I-287. But I bet merging from those U turn roads is extra dangerous, given how traffic is going over 90 mph so often and there isn't much a ramp from them, so maybe screw it, I won't ever attempt that.

(Why do I think we discussed this already?)

You're reading into what the toll takers care about too much.  They're not going to care if you got on at Exit 5 or Exit 13.  As I probably mentioned a while back, I was a toll taker, and I wasn't concerned about your tags (which I couldn't see anyway when I was standing next to your car window.  I could see your inspection sticker, but again, I didn't care.  The more pleasant you were with me with your excuse, the more likely I'll cut you a break.

Yes, you'll get charged the maximum fare if you make a u-turn.  That's if the State Troopers aren't hiding up there looking at traffic.  Then you'll be stuck with a $200 ticket for making an illegal u-turn.  Then you'll still need to re-enter the roadway, and you'll still have to fight your way back into traffic, and will still have to pay the maximum fare at the toll plaza.

roadman65

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 15, 2023, 04:03:48 PM
Yeah I think we did discuss this. I forgot exactly what was said the first time you're right. I think even the toll plazas themselves there's no way to tell what direction you've entered them from.

The ticket prints the entry plaza.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 15, 2023, 04:10:05 PM
But the exit plaza they don't know what direction you are approaching it from. You choose the direction you want to go after the toll booths, so they wouldn't be able to tell if you are coming from the same or opposite direction as the one you entered on.

Correct, if you made an illegal u-turn.

CtrlAltDel

Does anyone know what this is in the middle of the ramps at exit 9?

It seems somewhat maintenancy and somewhat abandoned, so I was curious.

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

roadman65

The old Turnpike Headquarters before they moved to Woodbridge.

Sheryl Crowe

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: roadman65 on February 28, 2023, 07:24:02 PM
The old Turnpike Headquarters before they moved to Woodbridge.

Now I know. Thanks.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

bluecountry

What's with the work by exit 10?

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/4zEErXo9kibLRFRA6
What's with the sign entering the Turnpike from Exit 5?  Those poles are too high above the sign, plus when does NJTA use wooden posts?

Sheryl Crowe

elsmere241

sprjus4

Quote The authority plans to add two lanes in each direction on the 36.5 miles between Exit 1 and Exit 4 at Route 73 in Mount Laurel. Engineering work for the areas around Exits 2 and 3 is scheduled to begin in 2024, with construction there getting underway in 2028, officials said.

Don't tell someone  :wow:

The typical news getting minor details (although I'd argue 6 vs. 8 lanes is a big difference) wrong aside, the overall premise of the article is they would like Turnpike Authority to construct a new interchange / direct link at NJ-42 / I-76, to divert thru traffic away from the current Exit 3.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.