News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Birmingham Northern Beltline (I-422, I-959)

Started by codyg1985, April 22, 2010, 09:10:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strider

Yes, you have to zoom it really close enough to see the dashed lines. It is there.

ARMOURERERIC

Could I ask as a favor that you post a link to the map.  I know it requires a large zoom, I just still could not find it.

froggie

QuoteYes, you have to zoom it really close enough to see the dashed lines. It is there.

I just checked, the Birmingham Beltline dashed lines are not there.

codyg1985

Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

ARMOURERERIC

Can you see any signs of work via google satellite yet?

codyg1985

A banking website has named the Northern Beltine the 7th largest boondoogle in the US:

The 7th biggest boondoggle in the U.S. is Alabama's
Cody Goodman

freebrickproductions

Quote from: codyg1985 on November 30, 2015, 07:35:11 AM
A banking website has named the Northern Beltine the 7th largest boondoogle in the US:

The 7th biggest boondoggle in the U.S. is Alabama's
Yea, we could use that 5 billion on Huntsville's northern bypass instead! :spin:
Though in all honesty, the 5 billion would be much better spent on a Memphis-Huntsville-Atlanta freeway.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

codyg1985

Heck, even in Birmingham several projects come to mind:

- Expanding I-65 through Birmingham metro
- Redoing I-20/59 either with a cut and cover tunnel through downtown or rerouting it around downtown
- Upgrading US 280 to a freeway

My biggest beef with the road, besides the cost, is the route it takes. It doesn't even really function as a good bypass unless you are going from I-20 Westbound to I-65 northbound, or I-65 southbound to I-20/59 westbound. A bypass for through I-65 traffic (traffic headed to the beach) would be great, but that would be very difficult to achieve.
Cody Goodman

codyg1985

Also, of interest to this thread, there is updated aerial imagery showing construction along the portion between AL 79 and Al 75: https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7353253,-86.6786126,3759m/data=!3m1!1e3
Cody Goodman

froggie

Instead of building new roads, how about using that $5B (which in reality is much less since very little of the Northern Beltline is actually funded) to improve existing roads?  Would directly benefit more people and spread to more areas of the state than just one or two corridors.

I'd also argue that, if that money actually existed and were to remain in the Birmingham area, there would be far more benefit to using it to reroute 20/59 out of downtown Birmingham than in building this Northern Beltline.

codyg1985

Yet another item of interest. ALDOT has created a website that talks about the beltway and the progress of the entire project. http://betterbeltline.org/

I figure that was only created because that was one thing that ALDOT had to do from one of the environmental lawsuits that was levied against them.
Cody Goodman

mvak36

Quote from: froggie on November 30, 2015, 12:05:31 PM
Instead of building new roads, how about using that $5B (which in reality is much less since very little of the Northern Beltline is actually funded) to improve existing roads?  Would directly benefit more people and spread to more areas of the state than just one or two corridors.

I'd also argue that, if that money actually existed and were to remain in the Birmingham area, there would be far more benefit to using it to reroute 20/59 out of downtown Birmingham than in building this Northern Beltline.

Either that or completely rebuild that Malfunction Junction.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

codyg1985

Quote from: mvak36 on November 30, 2015, 12:17:59 PM

The current plan for rebuilding I-20/59 through downtown actually calls for adding MORE ramps to Malfunction Junction.
Cody Goodman

freebrickproductions

Quote from: codyg1985 on November 30, 2015, 12:46:28 PM
Quote from: mvak36 on November 30, 2015, 12:17:59 PM

The current plan for rebuilding I-20/59 through downtown actually calls for adding MORE ramps to Malfunction Junction.
Oh god. That interchange will be a mess when it's all said and done. :ded:

Or paying off Alabama's budget deficit.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

The Ghostbuster

Will the Interstate 20/59/65 interchange be reconstructed with right-handed only exit and entrance ramps?

codyg1985

Cody Goodman

Henry

I sure miss the old days when proposed highways used to have a white dashed line denoting their routings, like Rand McNally used to have back in the 60s and 70s. As for the Northern Beltline, while I won't argue that it's badly needed, $5 billion is certainly too much for a project of its magnitude. This is where tolls would've helped funding-wise, but I read somewhere that AL has been opposed to them for years.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

clong

I think part of what's being forgotten here is that the project (at least the current portion) is 100% federally funded since the Northern Beltline is Appalachian Regional Commission Corridor X-1. So we can all have great ideas about better ways to use the money, but the bottom line is that this money is dedicated to this project and there's no guarantee that we would get any of it if ALDOT declined to build the Beltline.

The Ghostbuster

How many want to bet that Interstate 422 won't be completed for decades to come, if ever?

froggie

Quote from: clongis 100% federally funded since the Northern Beltline is Appalachian Regional Commission Corridor X-1.

This means far less today than most people think.  Congress got rid of having a dedicated ARC funding pot a few years ago.  Sure, it's 100% Federally funded, but that's because Congress changed things to where states can use 100% Federal funding for a given ARC project...they no longer need to provide a state/local match.  And that funding now comes from each state's NHS (National Highway System) allotment...there is no more ARC dedicated funding.  So yeah, ALDOT could use "100% Federal funding" on the Northern Beltline.  But that means they'd be pulling money from other potential projects on Alabama's Interstates and major 4 lane corridors (Interstates are automatically on the NHS...most of the state's 4 lane corridors are as well).

Quotebut the bottom line is that this money is dedicated to this project

No it's not, for the reasons I cited above.

Henry

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on December 01, 2015, 04:26:24 PM
How many want to bet that Interstate 422 won't be completed for decades to come, if ever?
I have a feeling that you might be right.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

clong

Quote from: froggie on December 01, 2015, 08:17:36 PM
Quote from: clongis 100% federally funded since the Northern Beltline is Appalachian Regional Commission Corridor X-1.

This means far less today than most people think.  Congress got rid of having a dedicated ARC funding pot a few years ago.  Sure, it's 100% Federally funded, but that's because Congress changed things to where states can use 100% Federal funding for a given ARC project...they no longer need to provide a state/local match.  And that funding now comes from each state's NHS (National Highway System) allotment...there is no more ARC dedicated funding.  So yeah, ALDOT could use "100% Federal funding" on the Northern Beltline.  But that means they'd be pulling money from other potential projects on Alabama's Interstates and major 4 lane corridors (Interstates are automatically on the NHS...most of the state's 4 lane corridors are as well).

Quotebut the bottom line is that this money is dedicated to this project

No it's not, for the reasons I cited above.

So, to clarify, would Alabama receive the same amount of federal funding/NHS allotment if they didn't have this project?

froggie

Correct, they'd receive the same amount.  It's ALDOT's choice (probably pressured by the Governor and local politicians) to use their NHS allotment on the Northern Beltline.  They don't receive any special funding anymore JUST for the Beltline.

lordsutch

Note however that Hillary Clinton, at least, has promised that she will restore a dedicated ARC funding stream if elected (whether she can deliver on this promise, of course, is a completely open question given that Congress has the power of the purse, not the president). If that happens, I'd imagine projects on the slow or back burner like the remainder of Corridor V (and maybe even the Interstate upgrade for the Batesville-Tupelo section - I'm not sure how that would interact with the 100% federal funding rule), I-99 north of I-80, and the Beltline will get renewed attention.

clong

Quote from: froggie on December 02, 2015, 12:39:37 PM
Correct, they'd receive the same amount.  It's ALDOT's choice (probably pressured by the Governor and local politicians) to use their NHS allotment on the Northern Beltline.  They don't receive any special funding anymore JUST for the Beltline.

Admittedly, not knowing the inner workings of this process, I would have imagined that those states having ARC Corridors that haven't been completed would get somewhat of a bump in their NHS funding over the same state without the ARC Corridor. I now realize it isn't earmarked, just thought it would be more - even if only a slight bit.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.