News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

US 90 Crosby Freeway

Started by brownpelican, August 03, 2010, 09:46:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brownpelican

I was in Houston last week and noticed that the Crosby Freeway ramps to and from I-10/610 were complete and the freeway appeared complete as well from what I could see.

Is that freeway close to opening?

Stephane Dumas

Google maps did an update of their satellite imagery and they show the Crosby Freeway almost completed including the flyovers at I-610/I-10 interchange http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=29.784194,-95.248976&spn=0.024881,0.05476&t=k&z=15

rte66man

What surprised me is the activity at the other end at Beltway 8. I see flyovers there as well. Does that mean TxDOT is doing the work on Beltway 8?
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Stephane Dumas

For Beltway 8, I think they built the main lanes of Beltway 8, I don't know if it's TXDOT or Harris County who build them.

Stephane Dumas

Anthony_JK

Quote from: rte66man on November 08, 2010, 01:33:06 PM
What surprised me is the activity at the other end at Beltway 8. I see flyovers there as well. Does that mean TxDOT is doing the work on Beltway 8?

Actually, those flyovers might be for the completion of the Sam Houston Tollway's northeast section's direct connectors with the Crosby..so that might actually be an HCTA project rather than TxDOT.

Anthony

DorkOfNerky

While looking around the Transtar cameras today, I noticed the 610 East Loop northbound ramp to I-10 has a new companion on it...

I live on the opposite side of town so I have no idea if the ramps are open now, but it does look promising.
- The Dork of Nerky

ShawnP

Is that real construction filling in the Sam Houston main lines on the north east side.

DorkOfNerky

Just got the answer to my own question. Checking the DMS on I-10 East, a message states that US90 opens this weekend.

http://traffic.houstontranstar.org/layers/getdms.aspx?sign=2011
- The Dork of Nerky

Stephane Dumas

A deadly accident occured on US-90 and Emergency centers didn't updated their maps
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=7971925

Also, here a Youtube video of US-90 spotted on Youtube

mightyace

^^^

OK.  I can maybe understand if they can't get the 911 maps updated immediately.  However, there should have been some way to tell the 911 operators about the new highway segment.  It's not like no one new it was coming.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

FreewayDan

Its not just the Emergency centers that need to update their maps.  The local TV stations doing traffic updates in the mornings (KPRC Local 2, 11 News, ABC 13, Fox 26) need to update their maps too.
LEFT ON GREEN
ARROW ONLY

rte66man

If they are like the stations here in OKC, that won't happen anytime soon.  There is a station here still using the old circle shield for state highways AND they have the Hefner Parkway marked as I44 north of NW Expy.  Even after having it gently pointed out to them, they haven't changed.  :banghead:
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

NE2

Why would they change the circle shield? Do most maps use the meat cleaver?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

A more general discussion of shields on maps reflecting the official shield has been moved to General Highway Talk.

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=4198.0

Stephane Dumas

texaskdog

What is funny if you head to New Orleans, google maps sends you on US 90 on the way, but I-10 on the way back.  I liked going 2 different ways and checking out the new freeway, but much of US 90 is still 2 lanes.  Guess we should have timed it.

yakra

Well this is interesting:
QuoteBUSINESS U. S. HIGHWAY NO. 90-U

Minute Order 100691, dated 03/25/1992; Adm. Ltr. 002-1992, dated 05/01/1992

From IH 610 in Houston northeastward to FM 2100, a distance of approximately 13.8 miles.  (Harris County)  As requested by district, section from IH 610 to FM 2100 transferred from US 90.  Section from IH 610 to SL 8 will be concurrent with old location of US 90, until construction on the new location of US 90 is complete and open to traffic.
http://www.dot.state.tx.us/tpp/hwy/bu/bu0090u.htm

So that takes care of what highway takes over the old alignment!
But it leaves the west end of the business route uncertain...
* Does it do exactly as the designation file says, and end at I-610? Business routes that don't connect back to the parent at one end are not unprecedented in Texas.
* Is it extended south via I-610, taking over 90's old route, to rejoin 90 proper?
* Continuing on McCarty Street would provide a short straighter surface (more "business"-like?) route without monkeying around with extra turns thru confusing interchange ramps.

Can any roadgeeks more familiar with the area enlighten me?
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

corco

The TXDOT planning map seems to indicate that McCarty from I-10 to I-610 is actually an extension of US-90 Alternate, with 90 Business taking over from I-610. The definition of 90 Alternate is sufficiently vague to allow for that.

yakra

*sigh* Oh, here we go...
It'd make a lot more sense if that's a map-o, and both routes actually end at the parent.
But then, damn things DO exist!

I'd love to hear from a roadgeek who's checked signage out in the field...
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

corco

I've only approached it from I-10/US-90- this is the 90 Alt/McCarty drive signage

It's not signed from 90 east at the east end either

but that's not necessarily a sign of anything since business loops often aren't signed from their endpoint relative to the direction of the mainline

NE2

Quote from: yakra on April 11, 2012, 05:36:05 PM
I'd love to hear from a roadgeek who's checked signage out in the field...
Google has photos from May 2011. Some signs had not yet been changed, but those that had (such as on the southbound I-610 frontage road) show both routes ending at I-610 (and a bunch of error SH 90 Biz shields).
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

achilles765

Quote from: yakra on April 11, 2012, 12:03:33 PM
Well this is interesting:
QuoteBUSINESS U. S. HIGHWAY NO. 90-U

Minute Order 100691, dated 03/25/1992; Adm. Ltr. 002-1992, dated 05/01/1992

From IH 610 in Houston northeastward to FM 2100, a distance of approximately 13.8 miles.  (Harris County)  As requested by district, section from IH 610 to FM 2100 transferred from US 90.  Section from IH 610 to SL 8 will be concurrent with old location of US 90, until construction on the new location of US 90 is complete and open to traffic.
http://www.dot.state.tx.us/tpp/hwy/bu/bu0090u.htm

So that takes care of what highway takes over the old alignment!
But it leaves the west end of the business route uncertain...
* Does it do exactly as the designation file says, and end at I-610? Business routes that don't connect back to the parent at one end are not unprecedented in Texas.
* Is it extended south via I-610, taking over 90's old route, to rejoin 90 proper?
* Continuing on McCarty Street would provide a short straighter surface (more "business"-like?) route without monkeying around with extra turns thru confusing interchange ramps.

Can any roadgeeks more familiar with the area enlighten me?

Here is how it goes:
US 90 (as freeway runs into the area, crosses Beltway 8, continues to the IH 610/IH10 interchange complex, where Us 90 joins IH 10 and runs duplexed (but unsigned) through the city and Katy until exit 741 (katy mills blvd) where it seperates.  Business US 90 runs along an old pre-freeway route of 90 from Fm 2100 in Crosby to IH 610 along McCarty Drive.  That is also signed in spots as State Highway 90 (I think).  Us 90 Alternate begins at IH 610 (where Business US 90 ends) and runs a rather convoluted path that jogs southwest and heads on to Seguin.
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

yakra

Yeah, that's about what I concluded. Neither route ends at the parent, but combine them together and you get one loop that sorta makes sense if you ignore the fact that the banner changes in the middle of it. Truly weird.
Thanks for the responses.

achilles765

Quote from: yakra on April 14, 2012, 08:53:10 AM
Yeah, that's about what I concluded. Neither route ends at the parent, but combine them together and you get one loop that sorta makes sense if you ignore the fact that the banner changes in the middle of it. Truly weird.
Thanks for the responses.

Well they used to connect to the parent before the freeway was completed from BW 8 to IH 610.  Before that, depending on the source of the info, US 90 either "jumped" to IH 10 or continued along McCarty Drive to IH 610 before multiplexing and heading to its long duplex with IH 10.  McCarty Drive northeast of 610 still has many US 90 signs, though many I have noticed are being replaced with State Highway 90 signs.  Most people in the area (and that area in particular which is mostly undeveloped and/or industrial) don't even know, realize, think about, or care what the actual situation is.  Glad I could be of help; I love our roads here in Texas and US 90 and US 90 Alt are two of my alltime favorite routes. 
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.