Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

wanderer2575

I drove past this temporary sign today; located just before a busy intersection in Northville, MI.  Gosh, I feel safer already.

1995hoo

I have a feeling this stop sign was posted by a private landowner, but I still found it interesting. This is near First Watch off Pines Boulevard just west of Flamingo Road in Pembroke Pines, Florida.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/2MkaUUytKCVxnkzW6
The Flags and USA as a control city is odd, but after collecting tolls I know why it's needed. Although one on his or her cell phone won't see either and end up in the toll for the Bluewater Bridge.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

Quote from: wanderer2575 on June 08, 2022, 06:03:49 PM
I drove past this temporary sign today; located just before a busy intersection in Northville, MI.  Gosh, I feel safer already.

Was there a regulatory sign farther upstream requiring drivers to reduce crashes?  If not, then what was there to enforce?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: kphoger on June 08, 2022, 07:12:17 PM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on June 08, 2022, 06:03:49 PM

Was there a regulatory sign farther upstream requiring drivers to reduce crashes?  If not, then what was there to enforce?

"Drives cannot crash in 1,000 feet"

1995hoo

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

1995hoo

Multiple tweets today showing that the "Anocosita" sign seen above (and another nearby with the same spelling error) were replaced yesterday.

For those unaware, the correct spelling is "Anacostia."

roadman65

Quote from:  :sombrero:1995hoo on June 11, 2022, 11:17:56 AM
Multiple tweets today showing that the "Anocosita" sign seen above (and another nearby with the same spelling error) were replaced yesterday.

For those unaware, the correct spelling is "Anacostia."

Maybe NE 2 complained to them and put the fear of God into them. :sombrero:

Sheryl Crowe

US 89

ClassicHasClass

$6.09 for 91 this morning at my favourite dirt cheap station, so that must have been taken in 1972. ;)

kkt

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on June 11, 2022, 04:13:27 PM
$6.09 for 91 this morning at my favourite dirt cheap station, so that must have been taken in 1972. ;)

Can't be more than a few years ago because Caltrans didn't put up exit numbers until the 2010s or so.

JoePCool14

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 06, 2022, 09:34:27 AM
Quote from: Rothman on June 06, 2022, 09:10:41 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on June 06, 2022, 09:09:41 AM
I was looking at Google Street View in the vicinity of Scranton and noted this sign on southbound I-81 in advance of the Northeast Extension. "All Vehicles Welcome" is strange wording for a BGS. If it were a sign for a rest area or something similar where large trucks sometimes aren't allowed, it wouldn't be so odd, but I can't say I've seen this sort of thing elsewhere (and the last time I went through there southbound was January 2006; Street View shows there was no equivalent sign back then).

Getting people used to toll-by-plate is a PR nightmare.

Yeah, I saw Stanley Roberts's reports from San Francisco on the day cash tolls ended on the Golden Gate Bridge (notice the signs saying "Do Not Stop" and the red message saying "Please Proceed"):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svzY_uJtvWQ

This is why if agencies want to go 100% cashless for tolling, they should go with open road tolling, a la the Illinois Tollways.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

Scott5114

Quote from: JoePCool14 on June 12, 2022, 06:59:03 PM
This is why if agencies want to go 100% cashless for tolling, they should go with open road tolling, a la the Illinois Tollways.

I assume that was the long-term plan, it's just that the date they could go cashless took place before they could do any work to physically remove the toll booths.

Those are really neat looking booths, too. They really complement the design of the bridge itself. Shame they're not needed anymore.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

LilianaUwU

A blue, as opposed to the standard green, kilometer marker on Chemin de la Rivière Pickano in Outaouais:

(Street View link)
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

roadman65

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 12, 2022, 10:33:03 PM

I assume that was the long-term plan, it's just that the date they could go cashless took place before they could do any work to physically remove the toll booths.

Those are really neat looking booths, too. They really complement the design of the bridge itself. Shame they're not needed anymore.

I wonder how the Golden Gate Bridge is going to be with them being cashless and the plaza being so iconic. My guess is the famous clock will be restored to a museum or some other place.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/49146889186/in/album-72157648166918803/

BTW I find it odd the exit only warning didn’t get fully greened out

This one is a poor green out over an Exit Only warning.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/52146859834/in/dateposted-public/
Then here is a Right Lane Ends sign on a merge lane where it’s the nature of a merge lane to end. Plus the county line sign is not the county line.

Sheryl Crowe

CardInLex

Quote from: roadman65 on June 15, 2022, 08:42:02 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on June 12, 2022, 10:33:03 PM

I wonder how the Golden Gate Bridge is going to be with them being cashless and the plaza being so iconic. My guess is the famous clock will be restored to a museum or some other place.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/49146889186/in/album-72157648166918803/

BTW I find it odd the exit only warning didn't get fully greened out

This one is a poor green out over an Exit Only warning.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/52146859834/in/dateposted-public/
Then here is a Right Lane Ends sign on a merge lane where it's the nature of a merge lane to end. Plus the county line sign is not the county line.

The Golden Gate Bridge has been cashless since 2013 but the booths remain. The Bay Bridge, on the other hand, went cashless in March 2020 as a way to protect workers. It is now permanently cashless. I suspect CalTrans will remove those toll booths for open road tolling. The Golden Gate is not maintained by CalTrans but is instead maintained by a special transportation district.

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/v3apbbHbpWf7JiqXA
This one here directs motorists to use US 431 to US 231 back to US84 for Enterprise.

I'm assuming that the south part of the circle is shorter than than the north end where US 84 follows?

Sheryl Crowe

ethanhopkin14

I find this BGS setup more entertaining than anything else.  If you look past the Highway Gothic signs with Clearview exit tabs, There is the juxtaposition of seeing a three digit shield for a 2di right next to the way the shield is supposed to be. It makes how ugly the three digit shield for a 2di even more apparent, which is also what makes the Clearview more ugly, it being next to the beautiful font!

thenetwork

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on June 17, 2022, 10:18:24 AM
I find this BGS setup more entertaining than anything else.  If you look past the Highway Gothic signs with Clearview exit tabs, There is the juxtaposition of seeing a three digit shield for a 2di right next to the way the shield is supposed to be. It makes how ugly the three digit shield for a 2di even more apparent, which is also what makes the Clearview more ugly, it being next to the beautiful font!

Personally, in the few times I've been to Texas over the years, I don't mind seeing 2-digit numbers on 3-digit I-shields.  Just like I enjoy seeing 3-digit numbers on 2-digit US or State Highway shields -- the latter being throwbacks to the past -- and the Texas 2-digit shields being a nod into the future.

roadman65

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52157751098_80c096cb0b_c.jpg
The speed zone sign is a rarity to see like this.

Usually the old Reduced Speed Ahead or the new yellow diamond with the arrow and small speed limit sign is the norm.  The latter becoming more prominent.

Though odd to with a shield assembly I must say.

Sheryl Crowe

Big John

^^ The worded sign is a MUTCD-compliant (W3-5a) alternative to the arrow and small speed-limit sign (W3-5)

vdeane

The trend these days is to omit the state name on the interstate shield.  As I saw today, however, NH has tried out something different: https://goo.gl/maps/TH4UDfzPDBFLLDQc6
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.