News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Cities that abbreviate "Lane" as "La" on street signs instead of "Ln"

Started by KCRoadFan, September 10, 2023, 10:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MATraveler128

There's several examples of La being used instead of Ln in the Philly suburbs.

For example Guinea Lane in the town of Jamison, PA is abbreviated as Guinea La
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

roadfro

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 11, 2023, 10:50:22 AM
Quote from: Pink Jazz on September 11, 2023, 10:29:14 AM

I wonder why the MUTCD doesn't have any rules enforcing USPS standard suffixes.

Perhaps part of the reason is that the Postal Service abbreviations are only "recommended." Some of them are rather silly, too, like using "BYU" to mean "Bayou" (an abbreviation that saves essentially no space) and "ISS" for "Islands" (why include the second "S" at all instead of just using "IS" for both singular and plural)?

Some people here might be distressed to learn that the Postal Service defines "BGS" as the recommended abbreviation for "Burgs." (Can't say I've ever heard of a street using "Burg" or "Burgs" as a suffix.)

[urlhttps://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/htm/2009r1r2/part1/part1a.htm#section1A15]Section 1A.15[/url] of the MUTCD governs acceptable abbreviations to be used on traffic control devices. This includes several common street suffixes (which are only to be used when referencing the name of a roadway): AVE/AV, BLVD, CIR, CT, DR, EXPWY, FRWY/FWY, HWY, PKWY, PL, RD, ST, TER, THWY, TR, TPK, and LN*. All very intuitive, except that "Trail" is abbreviated to "TR" instead of "TRL" (the latter being the USPS preference).

*LN can also be used on changeable message signs to refer to a lane, in context of "center ln", "left ln", etc.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

SkyPesos

Quote from: roadfro on September 16, 2023, 03:08:19 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on September 11, 2023, 10:50:22 AM
Quote from: Pink Jazz on September 11, 2023, 10:29:14 AM

I wonder why the MUTCD doesn't have any rules enforcing USPS standard suffixes.

Perhaps part of the reason is that the Postal Service abbreviations are only "recommended." Some of them are rather silly, too, like using "BYU" to mean "Bayou" (an abbreviation that saves essentially no space) and "ISS" for "Islands" (why include the second "S" at all instead of just using "IS" for both singular and plural)?

Some people here might be distressed to learn that the Postal Service defines "BGS" as the recommended abbreviation for "Burgs." (Can't say I've ever heard of a street using "Burg" or "Burgs" as a suffix.)

[urlhttps://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/htm/2009r1r2/part1/part1a.htm#section1A15]Section 1A.15[/url] of the MUTCD governs acceptable abbreviations to be used on traffic control devices. This includes several common street suffixes (which are only to be used when referencing the name of a roadway): AVE/AV, BLVD, CIR, CT, DR, EXPWY, FRWY/FWY, HWY, PKWY, PL, RD, ST, TER, THWY, TR, TPK, and LN*. All very intuitive, except that "Trail" is abbreviated to "TR" instead of "TRL" (the latter being the USPS preference).

*LN can also be used on changeable message signs to refer to a lane, in context of "center ln", "left ln", etc.
A bit off topic, but I find it interesting that for VMS, the MUTCD abbreviation for "Eastbound" is "E-BND". I've always seen "EB" or "E" for that, and never "E-BND". Same for the other three cardinal directions.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.