News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Yeah, it could just as easily go in the "worst of" thread.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Rover_0

Here's one from Lehi, UT, at the US-89/UT-85 junction, filed under "US Routes signed as State Routes and Vice Versa":

Suffice to say that I've sent it into UDOT and it appears that they are looking at it. They may also be looking into the whole "Ends US-89" sign at UT-85, as well:

Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

djsinco

That harkens back to the day when I-15 was incomplete through that area, and we had to use "UT" 89 to connect back to the completed section of 15 to go over the hill...

Personally, I just like to use the word "harkens!" :love:
3 million miles and counting

kphoger

FYI, the more proper wording would be "harks back", but "harkens back" is a widely accepted variant (technically an error but so widely used that it has become all but proper).  In neither case, however, should one say "harks/harkens me back".
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

Quote from: kphoger on March 23, 2013, 01:22:05 PM
FYI, the more proper wording would be "harks back", but "harkens back" is a widely accepted variant (technically an error but so widely used that it has become all but proper).  In neither case, however, should one say "harks/harkens me back".

If you say "harkens me back," you're a voilator.

djsinco

I elimitanted my voilation.  :ded:

Quote from: djsinco on March 23, 2013, 11:45:27 PM
I elimitanted my voilation:ded:

Talk about coincidence, your spelling screwed up like incorrect signage. No offense. :)

djsinco

Quote from: 707 on March 24, 2013, 02:58:20 AM
I elimitanted my voilation:ded:

Talk about coincidence, your spelling screwed up like incorrect signage. No offense. :)
Looks like the other (intentional) misspelling went right over someone's head. :poke:

yakra

Huh? Wot are you guys blathering about? Every word in djsinco's post was spelled perfectly fine, using standard Alanland English spelling.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

djsinco

Quote from: yakra on March 24, 2013, 03:21:34 PM
Huh? Wot are you guys blathering about? Every word in djsinco's post was spelled perfectly fine, using standard Alanland English spelling.
I study and use the Okie dialect of Alanland language.

PHLBOS

Those who attended the Monticello, NY meet last Saturday spotted a US 97 & US 17B shield assembly in Callicoon.  I'm surprised that those who took pics haven't posted them yet.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

dmuzika

This was recently replaced, but there was a McKnight Blvd NORTH sign in Calgary, AB, Canada that was incorrect.  McKnight Blvd is an east-west oriented street and since that Calgary has a quadrant system, it should have been signed as either "McKnight Blvd N" or simply "McKnight Blvd" (it now states the latter).  See http://goo.gl/maps/AGPuC.

hbelkins

Quote from: PHLBOS on March 26, 2013, 09:58:58 AM
Those who attended the Monticello, NY meet last Saturday spotted a US 97 & US 17B shield assembly in Callicoon.  I'm surprised that those who took pics haven't posted them yet.

Put mine on my Facebook page that night. Going to work on all my photos from that trip this week.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

djsinco

Quote from: PHLBOS on March 26, 2013, 09:58:58 AM
Hmmm... Is there some secret shortcut from Callicoon to Bend, OR?

hbelkins

Hope a Facebook pic URL will work. Don't have my photos from the trip worked up and uploaded anywhere yet.

agentsteel53

it worked; thank you.  interesting that they put "17B" in a 2dus shield.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

hbelkins

C.C. Slater said these erroneous markers replaced some ancient, but correct, New York state route markers. Don't know if there are any pics floating around of what these replaced or not.

PHLBOS

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 27, 2013, 10:04:44 AM
it worked; thank you.  interesting that they put "17B" in a 2dus shield.
I guess the designer/fabricator figured that since one of the digits involved a 1; using a 2-digit shield seemed justified.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

1995hoo

Image displayed fine, and I do not have a Facebook account.

hbelkins

Those wonderful error US 17B and US 97 signs were not the only goofs I encountered on my recent foray into New York.

Behold these...

Milford, Pa., and has been there for quite some time.

Just into New York on I-84, and has also been there for years. Should be a NJ 23 marker, not a NY 23.

There are so many NY 209 errors that you sorta become numb to them after awhile.

Not quite as many NY 44 goofs, but there are more than a few in the Highland area.

thenetwork

Quote from: hbelkins on March 28, 2013, 10:13:07 AM
Those wonderful error US 17B and US 97 signs were not the only goofs I encountered on my recent foray into New York.

Behold these...

And a recycled PA shield as well!  I wonder if that "former" 2d shield is that noticeable during the day as well?   I love how flash pictures can sometimes bring out the hidden or forgotten past. 

Scott5114

I elimitanted my voilation.  :ded:

I think most of the voilations are from truck trarffic that needs to be elimitanted
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hbelkins

Quote from: thenetwork on March 29, 2013, 12:52:55 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on March 28, 2013, 10:13:07 AM

Behold these...

And a recycled PA shield as well!  I wonder if that "former" 2d shield is that noticeable during the day as well?   I love how flash pictures can sometimes bring out the hidden or forgotten past.

This pic is from 2009 and is the best I could do in three or four attempts to get a drive-by photo.

Alps

Quote from: thenetwork on March 29, 2013, 12:52:55 PM

I would never have noticed it if you hadn't mentioned it. Barely.

hbelkins

Hey Steve, when did you take your picture? Mine's from the 2009 Milford meet. Looks like they re-mounted the same signs vertically. So much for noticing and correcting the error.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.