News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Medium sized cities not on any freeway BGSes

Started by hotdogPi, October 15, 2018, 03:29:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

Based on this quote:

Quote from: sparker on October 15, 2018, 02:36:55 PM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on October 15, 2018, 02:25:57 PM
Quote from: michravera on October 15, 2018, 02:15:07 PM
California has over 100 cities with over 50K population. Almost all of them are on a road.

[citation needed]

:bigass:

Question: does "on a road" entail just pull-through or freeway-to-freeway exit references, or cities cited on off-ramps to surface streets as well?  If the latter, most CA towns of any appreciable size close to a freeway would find their way to BGS's!  However, there are a number of CA cities exceeding 100K population that aren't actual freeway control cities; I can think of a few offhand:  Santa Clara, Fontana, and Huntington Beach are examples.  All do show up on BGS exit signs, however.   

(bold is mine; italics are not)

For obvious reasons, there are no large cities in the United States (or other developed nations) that don't appear on any BGS, which is why I'm asking about medium-sized ones. They can be towns, villages, etc.; they don't have to be cities.

EDIT:

In New England, the most populous city not shown on a BGS is Windham, CT (pop 25,268), but only because the signs say Willimantic instead of Windham. The largest legitimate example is Ridgefield, CT (pop 24,638), which is on US 7 but gets skipped over on I-84, I-95, and the freeway portions of US 7 itself (and yes, I checked I-684, too).
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

webny99

What about suburbs?
Brighton, NY, doesn't appear on any BGS's, and has a 2016 population of 36,600.
Perinton, NY, is an even better example, with a 2016 population of 46,700.

Amherst, NY, with around 120,000 residents, might be hard to beat, but first we need verification that it doesn't appear on any BGS's. I don't think it does but I'm not 100% sure; there's a number of locations I might check in Street View first.

ftballfan

In Michigan, Marquette doesn't show up on any freeway BGSes (the one place where I thought it might show up [I-75 at M-28], the smaller towns of Newberry and Munising (still important in their own right as both are county seats) show up instead)

Rothman

Quote from: webny99 on October 15, 2018, 04:16:00 PM
What about suburbs?

Amherst, NY, with around 120,000 residents, might be hard to beat, but first we need verification that it doesn't appear on any BGS's. I don't think it does but I'm not 100% sure; there's a number of locations I might check in Street View first.
Not on I-990?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Quote from: Rothman on October 15, 2018, 08:06:45 PM
What about suburbs?

Not on I-990?

I can't find any Amherst freeway BGSes, and I've searched pretty much anything that would have it.

Quote from: ftballfan on October 15, 2018, 07:02:31 PM
In Michigan, Marquette doesn't show up on any freeway BGSes (the one place where I thought it might show up [I-75 at M-28], the smaller towns of Newberry and Munising (still important in their own right as both are county seats) show up instead)

Juneau (AK) is bigger, and I don't think it shows up on a freewat BGS either...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

TheHighwayMan3561

MN I think has:
Suburb: Brooklyn Park (Bloomington has a BGS at the US 169/CR 101 mess in Shakopee)
Rest of state: Faribault
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

MNHighwayMan

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on October 15, 2018, 11:56:26 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on October 15, 2018, 10:48:42 PM
Rest of state: Faribault

Exit 55 on I-35?

But that's actually an exit to Faribault, I thought it was just cities not mentioned outside of their city. I'll discount my answer anyway.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

MNHighwayMan

Yeah, I wasn't quite sure which signs the OP was including in their post. Is it all BGSes, or...?

hotdogPi

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on October 16, 2018, 01:31:57 AM
Yeah, I wasn't quite sure which signs the OP was including in their post. Is it all BGSes, or...?

All BGSes, as long as they're on a freeway.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on October 15, 2018, 08:50:32 PM
Quote from: Rothman on October 15, 2018, 08:06:45 PM
Not on I-990?
I can't find any Amherst freeway BGSes, and I've searched pretty much anything that would have it.

Yep, about 95% sure Amherst doesn't appear on any BGS's. As impressive as that is though, I found a larger town: Ramapo, NY, a town in Rockland County with population 136,200. I-87's Exit 15A uses Sloatsburg and Suffern, while Exit 14B uses Airmont and Montebello (areas within the Town of Ramapo).
Beat that!!  :popcorn:

bzakharin

Hamilton, NJ (the one in Mercer County) is NJ's 9th largest municipality at 89K residents. It also has 5 exits on I-295, 5 exits on I-195, 2 exits on NJ 29, but not a single BGS.
There are a few unincorporated entities within Hamilton that get a mention, though.

If that doesn't count, I don't believe Old Bridge (67K) is on any BGSs

Very few Chicago suburbs ever appear. Its mostly street names. Even on arterials they disappear. They function more like regular streets upon reaching the metro area. US 34s last milage sign is Chicago 60 miles after IL 23 then it's just city boundary signs.

kphoger

Quote from: 3467 on October 16, 2018, 07:39:12 PM
Very few Chicago suburbs ever appear. Its mostly street names. Even on arterials they disappear. They function more like regular streets upon reaching the metro area. US 34s last milage sign is Chicago 60 miles after IL 23 then it's just city boundary signs.

Depending on your definition of a freeway, Aurora appears on a BGS or two along IL-56 in Sugar Grove.  But I don't think Naperville appears on any freeway BGS at all, population 147,000.  (Naperville Road shouldn't count, because it's obviously referring to the road and not the town.)
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ilpt4u

Supplemental BGSs do not count? I know for a fact Naperville appears on Supplemental BGSs on I-88

Aurora appears as a prominent Control for I-88, and even (oddly) for I-290 in Downtown Chicago

kphoger

Quote from: ilpt4u on October 16, 2018, 08:22:41 PM
Supplemental BGSs do not count? I know for a fact Naperville appears on Supplemental BGSs on I-88

Aurora appears as a prominent Control for I-88, and even (oddly) for I-290 in Downtown Chicago

Sorry, it's been a long time since I've been up that way.  Are the supplemental BGSes those ones with like six different town names on them?  Forgot about those.
Male pronouns, please.

ilpt4u

Quote from: kphoger on October 16, 2018, 08:35:59 PM

Sorry, it's been a long time since I've been up that way.  Are the supplemental BGSes those ones with like six different town names on them?  Forgot about those.
Pretty sure the one at the IL 59 Exit off I-88 might list 6 or more...I'll look it up on GSV to double check...OK, its only 4
Naperville
Plainfield
Warrenville
West Chicago

I lived and grew up in that area...wrong thread, but my "childhood"  Interstate block was I-55, I-355, I-88, I-39, and I-80. A little familiar with the West-Southwest Suburbs

kphoger

Quote from: ilpt4u on October 16, 2018, 08:45:06 PM

Pretty sure the one at the IL 59 Exit off I-88 might list 6 or more...I'll look it up on GSV to double check...OK, its only 4
Naperville
Plainfield
Warrenville
West Chicago

I lived and grew up in that area...wrong thread, but my "childhood"  Interstate block was I-55, I-355, I-88, I-39, and I-80. A little familiar with the West-Southwest Suburbs

I lived in River Forest from 1999 to 2000, then Wheaton and Carol Stream from 2000 to 2006, then downstate in Herrin from 2006 to 2008.
Male pronouns, please.

ilpt4u

Quote from: kphoger on October 16, 2018, 08:52:11 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on October 16, 2018, 08:45:06 PM

Naperville
Plainfield
Warrenville
West Chicago

I lived in River Forest from 1999 to 2000, then Wheaton and Carol Stream from 2000 to 2006, then downstate in Herrin from 2006 to 2008.
Bolingbrook -> Lisle -> Crystal Lake -> Naperville -> Danville -> Peoria -> Carbondale

I feel like I have taken a tour of IL.

Herrin fully qualifies as Southern IL, not just Downstate

ET21

I-290 should be Schaumburg honestly
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

ilpt4u

Quote from: ET21 on October 17, 2018, 09:33:38 AM

I am in the "I-290 should be deleted"  crowd, but keeping current designations...

IDK, I might keep Aurora on I-290 West/Outbound leaving the Circle. The Kennedy/I-90 or the Eisenhower/I-290 will both get you to Schaumburg, but I-290 -> I-88 for Aurora is a separate Destination from Parent I-90. Or use both Schaumburg and Aurora for I-290 West when Downtown

kphoger

Quote from: ilpt4u on October 17, 2018, 06:46:23 PM
Quote from: ET21 on October 17, 2018, 09:33:38 AM

I am in the "I-290 should be deleted"  crowd, but keeping current designations...

IDK, I might keep Aurora on I-290 West/Outbound leaving the Circle. The Kennedy/I-90 or the Eisenhower/I-290 will both get you to Schaumburg, but I-290 -> I-88 for Aurora is a separate Destination from Parent I-90. Or use both Schaumburg and Aurora for I-290 West when Downtown

I'd go with...

[Elmhurst] from downtown
[Schaumburg] at the E-W Tollway split.  (and maybe [TO 90 ELGIN] too)
Male pronouns, please.

nexus73

North Bend OR is not on any freeway BGS.  For a few years it was thanks to a city councilor getting the ear of ODOT, which resulted in North Bend being mentioned on a sign at the SR 38 interchange but when a sign change occurred, there went my home town!

Other Oregon coastal cities get ignored as well.  There is none for Newport.  Astoria, Seaside or Tillamook might get some mention on US 26 westbound from PDX but I am not sure.

At the US 101/US 199 interchange the control city for northbound traffic on 101 is "Oregon Coast".  Mileage signs along freeway sections of 101 do list Brookings and Coos Bay as coastal cities though. 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.