News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Rounded vs. Rectangular

Started by Henry, July 10, 2019, 10:45:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry

The national sign standard is rectangular, but I see that a few states have switched over to the rounded style. NY, VA, NC and FL are some examples of this. What other states use the rounded signs?

EDIT: So far, those are the only four states that use the rounded style, so the answer is none.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

PHLBOS

By rounded, are you referring to strictly the corners of signs?

For freeway-size/style signs; the use of rounded corners is typically done on single-sheet sign panels.  Extruded sign panels maintain the 90-degree angled corners.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Henry

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 10, 2019, 11:03:34 AM
By rounded, are you referring to strictly the corners of signs?

For freeway-size/style signs; the use of rounded corners is typically done on single-sheet sign panels.  Extruded sign panels maintain the 90-degree angled corners.
Yes, I am.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

roadfro

Quote from: Henry on July 10, 2019, 10:45:12 AM
The national sign standard is rectangular

The MUTCD doesn't require square corners on signs. But it does give the option that sign panel area outside the rounded border edges may be trimmed. I think most states just don't do this because it's not worth the extra time/expense.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

machias

Quote from: roadfro on July 11, 2019, 11:00:41 AM
The national sign standard is rectangular

The MUTCD doesn't require square corners on signs. But it does give the option that sign panel area outside the rounded border edges may be trimmed. I think most states just don't do this because it's not worth the extra time/expense.

It usually has to do with the type of sign (extruded vs incremental panels) but I believe New York has a rule or law that the corners have to be rounded for safety issues, to avoid a hazard for sign installers.

Kulerage

I've seen both here and there throughout North Carolina and Georgia.

tolbs17

The national sign standard is rectangular, but I see that a few states have switched over to the rounded style. NY, VA, NC and FL are some examples of this. What other states use the rounded signs?

EDIT: So far, those are the only four states that use the rounded style, so the answer is none.
Would leave VA out as most installations have been rectangular for the most part.

NJ uses rounded signs on their toll highways: NJ Turnpike and the Garden State Parkway.

So that leaves only 3 states that actively use rounded corners.

Scott5114

You didn't need to bump a thread from the last Presidential administration when there's one already active on the exact same topic, that you full well know about because you created it.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.