News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

City streets that change names more than once

Started by golden eagle, March 03, 2012, 10:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bulkyorled

QuoteWilmington Blvd - Main Street - Valley Blvd - Holt Ave;
Which also turns into Holt Blvd everywhere else  :eyebrow:

North to South
The Old Rd - Golden State Hwy - The Old Rd - San Fernando Rd - San Fernando Blvd - San Fernando Rd - Avenue 19

CA-126 - Telegraph Rd - Ventura St - Telepgraph Rd, Henry Mayo Dr - Newhall Ranch Rd - Golden Valley Rd
Your local illuminated sign enthusiast

Signs Im looking for: CA only; 1, 2, 14, 118, 134, 170, 210 (CA), and any california city illuminated sign.

Brian556

Denton, Texas:
Colorado Blvd, Woodrow Ln, Audra Ln, Nottingham Dr.

This reminds me... In my opinion, when a street changes names, the MUTCD should require a sign informing drivers of this situation.
It would read, for example:        BEGIN
                                           Colorado Blvd.

brownpelican

Pascagoula, Miss.
* Beach Blvd. begins along the coast, then turns northward on the east side of town and becomes Martin Street. At Orchard Street, that street becomes Old Mobile Highway.
* Eden Street begins at Ingalls Avenue and goes northward.  Just above Boston Avenue, Eden Street curves northeastward and becomes Nathan Hale Avenue. At Long Avenue, Nathan Hale turns south and becomes Emerson Street. At Locksley Avenue, Emerson turns east then turns off itself. The eastward street becomes Saratoga Avenue and finally ends at Pimlico Street.

New Orleans
* Northbound lanes of Pontchartrain Blvd. becomes West End Blvd at I-10 (Southbound stays Pontchartrain). At Robert E. Lee Blvd., those two streets become Lakeshore Drive. After crossing the Seabrook Bridge over the Industrial Canal, Lakeshore becomes South Shore Harbor Blvd at Downman Road.
* Gov. Nicholls Street starts in the French Quarter and becomes Bayou Road at Rampart Street. Bayou Road turns to Gentilly Blvd. at Paul Morphy Street. Gentilly Blvd. becomes Chef Menteur Highway at Providence Place/Old Gentilly Road.
* LaSalle Street begins at Jefferson Street in Uptown and becomes Simon Bolivar at First Street. At the Pontchartrain Expressway, Simon Bolivar becomes Loyola Avenue. At Common Street/Tulane Avenue, Loyola becomes Elk Place and that name changes to Basin Street at Canal Street...a mere two blocks later. At Armstrong Park, Basin curves northward and becomes Orleans Avenue at North Claiborne Avenue and ends at Robert E. Lee.
* Louisiana Avenue begins at Tchoupitoulas Street and runs northward, becoming Toledano Street at South Claiborne Avenue. That name sticks until its intersection with Dorgenois Street/Washington Avenue, where Washington takes over. At South Carrollton Avenue, Washington becomes Palmetto Street and runs to the parish line, where it ends at Orpheum Avenue just inside Metairie near Long Vue House and Gardens.
* Apple Street begins at the Jefferson Parish line and becomes Fontainbleau Drive at South Carrollton. At Napoleon Avenue, the names changes to Broad Street and that sticks until it reaches Treasure Street. There, northbound becomes Allen Street and southbound becomes New Orleans Street. Both streets end at Gentilly Boulevard.

More where that came from.

pianocello

In Valparaiso, IN, you have Ransom Rd. that turns into Bullseye Lake Rd. and then Country Club Rd.

Don't know if this counts, but there's also the mess of numbers along IL-92 in the Illinois Quad Cities. The same street is 6th Ave in Rock Island, 4th Ave in Moline, 16th Ave in East Moline (which curves and turns into 18th Ave), and 1st Ave in Silvis.

Quote from: Brian556 on June 06, 2012, 01:45:13 AM
Denton, Texas:
Colorado Blvd, Woodrow Ln, Audra Ln, Nottingham Dr.

This reminds me... In my opinion, when a street changes names, the MUTCD should require a sign informing drivers of this situation.
                                           Colorado Blvd.

I've thought of that, too, but it would say something like:   Bullseye Lake Rd.
                                                                                     Becomes
                                                                                 Country Club Rd.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

texaskdog

Austin is full of them.  Wells Branch Pkwy becomes Howard Lane becomes McNeil becomes Spicewood Springs Road becomes Old Lampasas Road.  183/Research Blvd becomes Anderson Lane becomes Ed Blaustein. 

PurdueBill

Akron has at least one example of a sign indicating a change--it's blurry in street view but not hopeless if you know what it says..

MERRIMAN RD.
ENDS
--------------------
RIVERVIEW RD.
BEGINS

There is a corresponding sign southbound as well.

elsmere241

There's another one here: http://goo.gl/maps/N9Gx

One side says "Start Dallas Ave" and the other says "Start Chrysler Ave"

texaskdog

Texas needs these....usually it's alignment issues.  They do a good job matching roads up but never change the names.  Howard Lane is a major 4 lane.  That becomes Scofield while Howard Lane turns off as a 2 lane street before hitting Wells branch Pkwy and taking it over as a 4 lane again.

Brandon

Chicagoland is chock full of these.

A few examples:

* Larkin Ave -> Weber Rd -> Naper Blvd -> Naperville Rd.
* Bridge St (Joliet) -> Jackson St (Joliet) -> Maple St (Joliet) -> Southwest Hwy -> Columbus Ave (Chicago), and Wolf Rd is mixed in there, merging with Southwest Hwy.
* Butterfield Rd -> 22nd St -> Cermak Rd (Butterfield also makes a turn off 22nd in Oakbrook Terrace).
* Collins St (Joliet) -> State St (Lockport) -> Archer Ave -> a choice between Archer, 55th St, and 1st Ave in Summit.
* Black Rd -> Ruby St -> Columbia St (all in Joliet).

It gets even more interesting with road realignments whereby the old road turns off itself and the main lanes turn into a different road i.e. Farnsworth Ave (Aurora) -> Kirk Rd -> Dunham Rd (Kirk ends at Dunham, but the lanes don't) -> IL-25 (main lanes become IL-25 at Sterns Rd).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Perfxion

Houston area:

Rankin Road to West Rankin Road to Spears St to Antonie Drive.

Bammel-North Houston Rd to North Houston-Roslin Rd to Bingle Rd to Voss Rd to South Voss Rd to Hillcroft to South Hillcroft.

Ley Rd to Weaver Rd to Emie Rd to East Crosstimbers St to Crosstimbers St to W 43rd St to Clay Rd

Decker Prairie Rd to Cypress Rosehill Rd to North Fry Rd to South Fry Rd.
5/10/20/30/15/35/37/40/44/45/70/76/78/80/85/87/95/
(CA)405,(NJ)195/295(NY)295/495/278/678(CT)395(MD/VA)195/495/695/895

vtk

Quote from: Brian556 on June 06, 2012, 01:45:13 AM
                                           Colorado Blvd.

There's a BEGIN Freeman Ave sign in Cincinnati.  I think they literally put a BEGIN banner for route markers over a normal street blade.

Delaware County and (though less consistently) Franklin County are good about signing the road name on all legs of an intersection, including straight ahead if the road name changes – though sometimes this is done only on the road name plaques below the advance intersection warning sign, and nt on blades at the actual intersection.

Columbus has a standard way of signing the situation where a residential street makes a 90° bend and changes names.  They post a single blade on the one "corner" that points diagonally over the "intersection", with one name on each side of the blade.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

PHLBOS

In Carlisle, PA; there is a Cavalry Rd. & Cavalry St. near the fairgrounds; the former terminates at the latter and the latter terminates at US 11.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

cpzilliacus

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 20, 2012, 09:39:14 AM
CP, you mention Sweden and neighboring areas a lot - are you from there?

Sorry for not responding sooner.

No, but my parents came from that part of the world.

Quotedowntown Budapest is similar to this as well - laid out a very long time ago without revision.  I didn't have much trouble driving there, as for me the most "quaint" (and mildly frightening!) aspect of London traffic would be the reverse traffic flow.  I totally see myself fucking that up and driving on the side of the road that I'm used to.

I have never been able to work up the courage to drive in greater London, or anyplace in Great Britain.  It's enough of a challenge to remember to look to the right when crossing a street, though I have noticed that drivers in London are at least as good as drivers in California when it comes to yielding to pedestrians.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

apjung

Quote from: vtk on March 20, 2012, 05:59:11 PM
Quote from: Kacie Jane on March 20, 2012, 05:53:56 PM
Quote from: vtk on March 20, 2012, 05:24:59 PM
Quote from: apjung on March 20, 2012, 07:58:21 AM
...Hickory Ave to Dickory Ave...
http://g.co/maps/5kp59

Shouldn't there be a Dock Ave around there somewhere?

http://g.co/maps/ky3w9

There you go.

Right under my nose, even.  My mobile maps app isn't that great at labeling every street, and it's short, so no surprise I missed it.

Don't forget Mouse Ln! It's not on Google Maps but it's on Mapquest!
http://mapq.st/LSDcwo

kphoger

Quote from: Brandon on June 06, 2012, 08:17:01 PM
Chicagoland is chock full of these.
* Butterfield Rd -> 22nd St -> Cermak Rd (Butterfield also makes a turn off 22nd in Oakbrook Terrace).

Butterfield Road, heading east, ends at a T intersection with Eastern Avenue near Saint Charles Road in Bellwood.  That used to be part of my preferred rush-hour route from the western suburbs to River Forest.  The turn off of 22nd is just a case where a street name doesn't follow the straight curb line, which happens at countless locations nationwide.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

DandyDan

Omaha has a few of these as well.  Going west on US 275/NE 92, there is Missouri Avenue, L Street, Industrial Blvd. and then West Center Road.  There is also Cass Street, which goes east until it becomes Underwood Avenue, which then becomes California Street.    You can also go from 108th Street and West Center (actually north of there a block or two) to Bellevue (straight south of Omaha) without turning, as 108th turns into Portal Road in LaVista, which turns into 6th Street in Papillion, which turns into Cornhusker Road east of Papillion, which turns into Harvell Road in Bellevue.

But my all time favorite loopy road in Omaha begins at 84th and Frederick Street. Going west on Frederick Street, it turns into 90th Street (South, then North, where it also picks up NE 133 at West Dodge Road), which turns into Sorenson Parkway at Blair High Road (remember this intersection).  Sorenson Pkwy turns into the Storz expressway, which turns into Abbott Drive by the Omaha airport.  Abbott Drive goes SW from the airport, going thru Carter Lake, Iowa and turns into Cuming Street at 10th Street (you see pictures of this intersection during ESPN's broadcast of the College World Series).  Cuming then turns north and then west into Northwest Radial Highway, which then becomes Military Avenue just north of downtown Benson, which turns into Blair High Road, which at 90th Street becomes NE 133 all the way to Blair.   You get all of NE 133, but nonconsecutively, not that anyone in Omaha cares about the state highway designations, including NDOR.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

MDOTFanFB

Sorry for the bump, but there's several of these in the Detroit area:

Jefferson Avenue->Lakeshore Drive (Saint Clair Shores)->Lake Shore Road (Grosse Pointe Shores & Farms)->East Jefferson Avenue->West Jefferson Avenue (at Woodward Avenue in downtown Detroit)->Biddle Avenue (Wyandotte)->West Jefferson Avenue->U.S. Turnpike Road (Berlin Township, Monroe County)->North Dixie Highway->Winchester Street (Monroe).

North Avenue->Groesbeck Highway (M-97)->Hoover Street (Detroit; still M-97; though it continues north of where Groesbeck merges into it)->Gunston Street (Detroit; still M-97 up to Gratiot Avenue/M-3, then it stops and resumes a block south at Rosemary Street, then T'ing at Harper Avenue and resumes across I-94 for two blocks before merging with Conner Street)

Avon Road (Rochester Hills)->23 Mile Road (M-3 between Gratiot Avenue and I-94, M-29 east of I-94)->a choice of Green Street (M-29) and Main Street in New Baltimore->Main Street in eastern New Baltimore (M-29)->Dixie Highway (M-29)->Pointe Tremble Road (M-29)->Saint Clair River Drive (M-29; Algonac)->River Road (M-29)->Parker Street (M-29; Marine City)->Fairbanks Street (M-29; Marine City)->Broadway Street (M-29 west of Main Street; Marine City)

Bruce

Here to resurrect with a good one: A 1997 article (paywall bypass) in the NY Times described historic road names in Thurston and Snohomish counties and came with an added bonus:

QuoteFrank Jenkins, a real estate photographer who moved here from Ohio, derided a street-numbering system that he said took numbering to its illogical conclusion. He cited the former Kline Hill Road west of Issaquah, with each of its eight switchbacks dutifully numbered.

I believe that he's talking about this wonderful road: https://goo.gl/maps/5nTTbgghkUWa9Tew9

Following the general flow, it goes from SE 60th Street to 189th Ave SE to 190th Place SE to 191st Ave SE to SE 56th Street to 194th Ave SE to SE 54th Street. There seems to be two missing name changes.

CNGL-Leudimin

OpenStreetMap shows 190th Ave SE in between 189th Ave SE and 190th Place SE. There's one of the missing name changes (really, only a suffix change). SE 60th Street appears to continue past 189th Avenue SE, though not with the general flow.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Flint1979

In Saginaw, Michigan there is a pair of one way streets one set is called Hess and Gallagher and the other is called Fraser and Vermont, in between it's a divided street turning into Center Street for the Saginaw River bridge. Further west Fraser turns into Marquette Street.

Further north in downtown Johnson Street turns into Davenport Avenue. Davenport and State Street are one way streets, further west it turns into a two way street just known as State Street. Much of it is also M-58.

fillup420

Quote from: 6a on March 04, 2012, 05:10:18 PM
Charlotte is great for this.  You have Idlewild/Rama/Sardis/Fairview/Tyvola, and my favorite Charlottean quirk, Mulberry Church/Billy Graham/Woodlawn/Runnymede/Sharon/Wendover/Eastway

came here looking for Charlotte to be mentioned. I used to live off Sardis Rd and I always found it strange the way the roads were named. Road names often "turn" at intersections, which can make navigation quite tricky when trying to follow verbal directions.

Finrod

I'm shocked that no one has mentioned that Atlanta's most famous street, Peachtree Street, turns into Peachtree Road as it enters Buckhead, then becomes Peachtree Industrial Boulevard by the time it crosses the Topside Perimeter (aka I-285), then has other names as well as it winds out through northeast suburbia.

If you didn't follow the 60-degree right turn that Peachtree Road makes in the heart of Buckhead, then you're on Roswell Road all the way into Roswell (and also on US 19 from 14th Street to I-285), and then off through Alpharetta and Cumming all the way to Dahlonega with a variety of names on the way.
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

tdindy88

I thought I had posted this somewhere before but I don't see it. This reminds me very much of Bloomington, Indiana. Several roads change names around there but there's one that really stands out.

There's a long east-west road across the south side of Bloomington that changes names often. Starting at the west around Interstate 69 the road is called Tapp Road. Heading east after it crosses Rockport Road it becomes Country Club Road (passing by the Bloomington Country Club.) After crossing Walnut Street it then becomes Winslow Road. Further east at High Street the road changes names again to Rogers Road (not to be confused with Rogers Street which Country Club Road intersects back to the west.) Then the road makes a 90-degree turn to the north and changes names to Smith Road where it runs for about three miles to its terminus. And this is all the same paved roadway.

There's also Moores Pike and Hillside Drive. And Henderson Street and Walnut Street Pike. Fullerton Pike (also interchanging with I-69) is being extended eastward to connect with Gordon Pike, which then becomes Rhorer Road.

wanderer2575

In the northern Detroit suburbs, 16 Mile Road is called (from west to east) Quarton Road, then Big Beaver Road, then 16 Mile Road, then Metropolitan Parkway.

US 89

Quote from: Finrod on May 03, 2020, 07:06:01 PM
I'm shocked that no one has mentioned that Atlanta's most famous street, Peachtree Street, turns into Peachtree Road as it enters Buckhead, then becomes Peachtree Industrial Boulevard by the time it crosses the Topside Perimeter (aka I-285), then has other names as well as it winds out through northeast suburbia.

Don't forget Whitehall Street on the south end, either. And if you keep following that roadway south, it becomes Murphy Street which follows the east side of the train tracks for a few miles before dying in the Oakland City area.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.