News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Mumble Strips

Started by ErmineNotyours, June 14, 2018, 09:51:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ErmineNotyours

The state's dilemma of safety versus noise

The above also has a link to a Minnesota study on "mumble strips," which are like rumble strips, but quieter to the community.

But wait, I thought "rumble strips" were short bursts of bumps along the width of a long road warning about an upcoming change such as a stop sign or a traffic light.  Those bumps (dips) along the side and center of the road used to be called "fog lines."  I guess there's a certain symmetry between rumble and mumble, but when did the terminology change?

thenetwork

And I thought mumble strips were strips of raised thermal plastic (same material used for pre-cut turning arrows or stop lines) but slightly thicker.

MCRoads

Quote from: thenetwork on June 14, 2018, 11:49:53 AM
And I thought mumble strips were strips of raised thermal plastic (same material used for pre-cut turning arrows or stop lines) but slightly thicker.

You are referring to what I have heard called "rumble stripes" , as they are usually painted. But, I'm sure they are synonymous.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

jakeroot

:-D Looks like we all have different terms! I've never heard of mumble strips, but when I think of rumble strips, I think of either the grooves perpendicular to the roadway (to warn of an upcoming hazard), or those parallel to the roadway (to warn those leaving the roadway to wake up). They obviously have a slightly different design, but I didn't think different terms existed.

Roadsguy

Quote from: jakeroot on June 14, 2018, 01:08:57 PM
or those parallel to the roadway

When are shoulder rumble strips ever parallel? They definitely form a long line parallel to the road, but the individual strips themselves are perpendicular just like the wide ones spanning the entire lane for warning purposes.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

formulanone

Want to say the Thruway has these in some of the spots I've traveled on last weekend; the white edge line made a gentle humming sound (akin to some types of concrete, minus the joint thump) when driving over it, and then the louder rumbles over the stripe.

jemacedo9

Quote from: formulanone on June 14, 2018, 01:51:26 PM
Want to say the Thruway has these in some of the spots I've traveled on last weekend; the white edge line made a gentle humming sound (akin to some types of concrete, minus the joint thump) when driving over it, and then the louder rumbles over the stripe.

I think it's the same for the dashed white lines between lanes in some cases on I-390...I've noticed that. Like it's a thicker paint that actually makes a slight noise. But I don't know specifically what it is.

seicer

Based on some recent repavings in New York, it looks like they grind down (with a diamond grinder) areas where the markings will go - for the fog lines and center markings. But it looks like paint that's applied, not thermoplastic.

jakeroot

Quote from: Roadsguy on June 14, 2018, 01:48:34 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on June 14, 2018, 01:08:57 PM
or those parallel to the roadway

When are shoulder rumble strips ever parallel? They definitely form a long line parallel to the road, but the individual strips themselves are perpendicular just like the wide ones spanning the entire lane for warning purposes.

Parallel layout, not literally parallel grooves. All grooves are perpendicular, otherwise you wouldn't really feel them. But their layout is either parallel or perpendicular to the road, depending on the situation.

GaryV

Maybe car's horns are too noisy as well?

And on the slightly ironic note, an ad embedded in the story when I read it was for a power lawn mower.  Noise, anyone?   :bigass:

roadman65

PennDOT used to use a set on PA 39 approaching Hersheypark Drive in Hershey, PA.  I remember my parents getting the shit scared out of them when the sounds came up (and they were loud too).   I guess that was a problem intersection to give the warnings as most places like in Delaware warned drivers of the toll plaza near Newark or at 180 degree turns in other PA parts.   I believe the north end of the PA Turnpike NE Extension had them in Clark's Summit before the freeways curves into the toll plaza there too, but as I was there in 2012 they were gone.

FDOT had wimpy ones at the north end of SR 407 near Titusville to warn motorists the super two came to an end at SR 407.  They were light sounds compared to Delaware and Pennsylvania with their super loud rumple strips.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

myosh_tino

In California, rumble strips are indentations made in the pavement and are typically located to the right of the solid white line separating the travel lanes from the right shoulder, to the left of the solid yellow line separating the travel lanes from the left shoulder (on divided roads) or on the double yellow lines on undivided roads.

The dashed white lines with integrated "bumps" are not used in California AFAIK.  Lane lines are either botts dots (which will eventually disappear on state-maintained roads) or paint/thermoplastic striping.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

GenExpwy

Quote from: jemacedo9 on June 14, 2018, 02:09:43 PM
I think it's the same for the dashed white lines between lanes in some cases on I-390...I've noticed that. Like it's a thicker paint that actually makes a slight noise. But I don't know specifically what it is.
I assume you're talking about the section of I-390 between Steuben County and exit 6. That was done when the Steuben-to-5 section was repaved several years ago.

Quote from: seicer on June 14, 2018, 02:17:14 PM
Based on some recent repavings in New York, it looks like they grind down (with a diamond grinder) areas where the markings will go - for the fog lines and center markings. But it looks like paint that's applied, not thermoplastic.
I think it's just to reduce wearing of the paint; the noise is too faint to have any warning value. Even when those grinds were new, you pretty much had to make a special effort to listen for them.

jemacedo9

Quote from: GenExpwy on June 15, 2018, 03:20:56 AM
I assume you’re talking about the section of I-390 between Steuben County and exit 6. That was done when the Steuben-to-5 section was repaved several years ago.

I think it’s just to reduce wearing of the paint; the noise is too faint to have any warning value. Even when those grinds were new, you pretty much had to make a special effort to listen for them.

Yes and yes...I am talking about that section, and yes, the noise is very faint...definitely only noticeable without any other noise around.

formulanone

Quote from: jemacedo9 on June 15, 2018, 07:34:38 AM
Quote from: GenExpwy on June 15, 2018, 03:20:56 AM
I assume you're talking about the section of I-390 between Steuben County and exit 6. That was done when the Steuben-to-5 section was repaved several years ago.

I think it's just to reduce wearing of the paint; the noise is too faint to have any warning value. Even when those grinds were new, you pretty much had to make a special effort to listen for them.

Yes and yes...I am talking about that section, and yes, the noise is very faint...definitely only noticeable without any other noise around.

I definitely heard it amongst the sounds of Ill Communication on I-90 between Syracuse and Utica.

Might not have been intentional, but just a teensy bit noticeable, and I can't say I've experienced that before.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.