News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Pedestrian signals that are traffic lights

Started by Amtrakprod, July 14, 2018, 08:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amtrakprod

Here's one at the corner of Rte 715 and Sullivan's trail in Tannersville PA, why aren't they using normal ped signals.

iPhone
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

Alps

A lot of older setups used this - early pedestrian signals were often only found in major cities (or Passaic County, NJ). It was basically interchangeable - if your signal didn't have a separate pedestrian timing, at least pedestrians had something to look at to gauge whether they could cross. Now that we know some people can't cross in 4 seconds on yellow, we've proscribed further use of signals in this way.

roadfro

There's only example I know of in Nevada where RYG signals are provided for pedestrians: Oddie Blvd & US 395 North ramps - Reno, NV

This is an older signal setup (the offramp doesn't even have overhead signal heads). 8-8-8 RYG heads are provided for crossing Oddie in the opposite direction of ramp traffic (this crosswalk is not marked), as well as for crossing the offramp from east to west on the south side of the intersection (street view). There is also an 8-8-8 RYG signal kinda hidden behind the EB left turn signal so pedestrians crossing the north side from west to east can see when through traffic on Oddie has the green (street view). Other standard vehicle signal heads are available for all other pedestrian crossing legs.

Interestingly, all pedestrian push buttons use some variation of signs that show the walking man, despite no pedestrian signal heads being in place at this intersection whatsoever.

EDIT: Fixed link
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Flint1979

roadfro

Quote from: Flint1979 on July 15, 2018, 11:52:04 AM
This light is on Brockway Street in front of Chester Miller Elementary School in Saginaw, Michigan.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4213037,-83.9924047,3a,75y,114.78h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sQ6mr_Roc2SjuVT--wNMaig!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The OP was referring to places where a red-yellow-green signal head is used, instead of normal pedestrian signal heads, to control pedestrian crossing movements.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

steviep24

New York City's Central Park had a lot of signals that used red/green for the ped crossings instead of normal ped signals.

MikeCL

US71

El Reno, OK has a Ped signal that uses a green ball. Sadly, the signal appears to be non-functional.

SM-G930V

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

PHLBOS

Philly still has plenty of those out there.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.