AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Connecticut News  (Read 618468 times)

shadyjay

• Last Login: Today at 09:59:28 PM
Re: Connecticut News
« Reply #3500 on: July 06, 2019, 07:17:58 PM »

Yes, some of those are quite old as are the signs attached to them.  What I would've liked to have seen is the soon-to-start Exits 40-56 sign replacement project extended to Exits 40-65 (that would cover the worst of the old signage) and let Exits 46-52 be for now.  Part of that stretch includes the Aetna viaduct that is scheduled for some sort of modification, replacement, etc.  Gantries Exits 46-52 are not being replaced as part of the upcoming project... just the signs.  Still, it seems like a waste if in a few years they're going to get replaced again anyway.  But thats ConnDOT for ya.  (At least they did convert to aligned exit tabs and slowly converting to mile-based exits)
My FLICKR page has gone PRO!  Road photos (and more) from throughout the Northeast...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/shadyjay/collections/72157657234163953/

abqtraveler

• US-85 runs thru Albuquerque, but only on paper

• Last Login: Today at 06:04:59 PM
« Reply #3501 on: July 07, 2019, 07:52:10 PM »

CT-8 at CT-34 there's a truck detour for trucks over 7 tons over the Stevenson Dam Bridge.  Not really signed that well except for small warning signs saying to use Exit 14 CT-110.  You'd think those signs would be bigger or maybe extruded aluminum considering the importance.

The Route 34 truck detour around Stevenson Dam is a byproduct of 40+ years of Monroe and Oxford residents fighting against a new bridge to replace the existing span that runs over the dam.  Now with the official detour rerouting truck traffic up 110 from Shelton to 111, right through the middle of Monroe, maybe the residents of Monroe will re-think their long-standing opposition to a new bridge slightly upstream from the Stevenson Dam to replace the current span that runs atop the dam, is 100 years old, and is in an advanced state of deterioration.

Up until now, Shelton never really had a dog in the fight over a replacement bridge for the Stevenson Dam crossing, since the Stevenson Dam is miles upstream from Shelton, with the main source of opposition being from residents of Monroe and Oxford.  But now, Shelton has been thrown right into the middle of that food fight with the official detour sending trucks right through that town's central business district, not to mention the steep hill and sharp curve on Route 110 near Indian Well State Park having been the site of numerous fatal wrecks in the past.  I don't think it'll be long until the pain factor drives Shelton officials to press the state and the towns of Oxford and Monroe to come up with a solution, and fast.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 37, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238

shadyjay

• Last Login: Today at 09:59:28 PM
« Reply #3502 on: July 07, 2019, 08:25:03 PM »

Back when I started land surveying, the Stevenson Dam replacement project was the first job they sent me on.  That was in 1999.  Twenty years later and not a shovel has been thrown for that project.  My first time over that dam was in the mid 80s and it seemed sketchy back then. 
My FLICKR page has gone PRO!  Road photos (and more) from throughout the Northeast...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/shadyjay/collections/72157657234163953/

Mergingtraffic

• Last Login: July 08, 2019, 12:19:32 PM
    • My Flickr alias: MergingTraffic
« Reply #3503 on: July 07, 2019, 08:34:40 PM »

CT-8 at CT-34 there's a truck detour for trucks over 7 tons over the Stevenson Dam Bridge.  Not really signed that well except for small warning signs saying to use Exit 14 CT-110.  You'd think those signs would be bigger or maybe extruded aluminum considering the importance.

The Route 34 truck detour around Stevenson Dam is a byproduct of 40+ years of Monroe and Oxford residents fighting against a new bridge to replace the existing span that runs over the dam.  Now with the official detour rerouting truck traffic up 110 from Shelton to 111, right through the middle of Monroe, maybe the residents of Monroe will re-think their long-standing opposition to a new bridge slightly upstream from the Stevenson Dam to replace the current span that runs atop the dam, is 100 years old, and is in an advanced state of deterioration.

Up until now, Shelton never really had a dog in the fight over a replacement bridge for the Stevenson Dam crossing, since the Stevenson Dam is miles upstream from Shelton, with the main source of opposition being from residents of Monroe and Oxford.  But now, Shelton has been thrown right into the middle of that food fight with the official detour sending trucks right through that town's central business district, not to mention the steep hill and sharp curve on Route 110 near Indian Well State Park having been the site of numerous fatal wrecks in the past.  I don't think it'll be long until the pain factor drives Shelton officials to press the state and the towns of Oxford and Monroe to come up with a solution, and fast.

I drove up there and signage on CT-34 isn't well marked pertaining to the weight limit.  (It's 15 tons, not 7 like I erroneously stated before) Only a 2 mile ahead sign heading NB and I think a small one right at the bridge. 
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Mergingtraffic

• Last Login: July 08, 2019, 12:19:32 PM
    • My Flickr alias: MergingTraffic
« Reply #3504 on: July 07, 2019, 08:37:19 PM »

However, some of the gantries that are being replaced, surprisingly, are the tube gantries that date back to the early 2000's. 

I noticed that too...I wonder why but CT keeps the ugly 1980's gantries up.  The "newer" monotube gantries look ugly and the signs don't even look straight whenever the newer monotubes are installed.

The "Utah tube" gantries I liked.  The ones that you mentioned that were installed in the early-mid-2000s.  They look sleek and sturdy.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

ipeters61

• Highway Safety Analyst

• Last Login: Today at 03:53:40 PM
    • Personal Website
« Reply #3505 on: July 08, 2019, 09:00:29 AM »

However, some of the gantries that are being replaced, surprisingly, are the tube gantries that date back to the early 2000's. 

I noticed that too...I wonder why but CT keeps the ugly 1980's gantries up.  The "newer" monotube gantries look ugly and the signs don't even look straight whenever the newer monotubes are installed.

The "Utah tube" gantries I liked.  The ones that you mentioned that were installed in the early-mid-2000s.  They look sleek and sturdy.
I feel the exact opposite.  I always thought the one at I-84 EB Exit 35 looked ugly, it just looked oversized/way too big.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.