AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rhode Island News  (Read 41000 times)

PHLBOS

• Last Login: April 18, 2019, 06:15:41 PM
Re: Rhode Island News
« Reply #200 on: February 26, 2019, 09:45:43 AM »

The Henderson Bridge on the Providence/East Providence line just got the green light for demo and reconstruction.  It will shrink from 6 to 2 lanes, officially killing the dream of the past that a highway would run through there!
https://www.wpri.com/weather/pinpoint-traffic/-545-million-invested-for-ri-bridge-repairs-improvements/1808575989
It may have been built as a 6-laner; but only 4 lanes have been open for quite some time.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Mergingtraffic

• Last Login: April 18, 2019, 04:33:54 PM
    • My Flickr alias: MergingTraffic
« Reply #201 on: February 26, 2019, 02:20:22 PM »

It means this will be gone soon:

« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 02:50:22 PM by Mergingtraffic »
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

shadyjay

• Last Login: April 18, 2019, 11:24:27 PM
« Reply #202 on: February 26, 2019, 09:31:08 PM »

Nice sky color in that first sign, mergingtraffic!
My FLICKR page has gone PRO!  Road photos (and more) from throughout the Northeast...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/shadyjay/collections/72157657234163953/

jon daly

• I Clinched The Dhahran–Jubail Highway!

• Last Login: April 11, 2019, 03:59:50 PM
« Reply #203 on: March 09, 2019, 06:44:00 PM »

Indeed.

Mergingtraffic

• Last Login: April 18, 2019, 04:33:54 PM
    • My Flickr alias: MergingTraffic
« Reply #204 on: March 10, 2019, 04:03:58 PM »

Thanks Shadyjay and Jon! Sometimes I wonder if people actually like the pics I take. 
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

yakra

• Last Login: Today at 12:18:11 AM
« Reply #205 on: March 11, 2019, 05:56:30 PM »

The scattershot button copy reflections are a nice effect too.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

shadyjay

« Reply #206 on: March 14, 2019, 04:22:15 PM »

On a visit to Vermont over the past few days, I returned to CT via New Hampshire, eastern Mass, and RI.  Just moments before the MA/RI state line on I-295 South, this sign popped out at me:

295SB-old by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

Every sign replacement project always seems to have that one sign that got away... that missed the cut... that was either at one extreme end or the other of a replacement contract that it just got overlooked.  Well this seems to be the perfect example of this.  It looks very much like a Rhode Island sign, but its in Massachusetts, a mile or so before the border.  And my thought is that it got missed out by not just one, but two sign replacement projects.  A similar thing has occured with RI Exit 30, being practically on the Mass. border.  More uniqueness... the Mile/Km distances to two control cities that don't even appear on any exit signs down the line.

Any thoughts on this rogue unit?

Also got shots of the APL for Exit 9, which is temporarily patched:

295SB-Exit09-2 by Jay Hogan, on Flickr
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 04:25:29 PM by shadyjay »
My FLICKR page has gone PRO!  Road photos (and more) from throughout the Northeast...

PHLBOS

« Reply #207 on: March 14, 2019, 04:46:47 PM »

On a visit to Vermont over the past few days, I returned to CT via New Hampshire, eastern Mass, and RI.  Just moments before the MA/RI state line on I-295 South, this sign popped out at me:

295SB-old by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

Every sign replacement project always seems to have that one sign that got away... that missed the cut... that was either at one extreme end or the other of a replacement contract that it just got overlooked.  Well this seems to be the perfect example of this.  It looks very much like a Rhode Island sign, but its in Massachusetts, a mile or so before the border.  And my thought is that it got missed out by not just one, but two sign replacement projects.  A similar thing has occured with RI Exit 30, being practically on the Mass. border.  More uniqueness... the Mile/Km distances to two control cities that don't even appear on any exit signs down the line.

Any thoughts on this rogue unit?
Typically, the limit of work for sign replacement projects only goes as far as the state line.  Any signs beyond the border are not included and are the responsibility of the adjacent state DOT agency (MassDOT in this case).  Unless RIDOT notified MassDOT during the design phase of the project that one or two of their signs referencing RI interchanges needing to be replaced/updated; such are usually left alone.

The above-example BTW is 1 mile from the border.

The 1977-era Exit 30 & 29 BGS' & gantry along I-95 example sign is located just north of the border and are MA-spec'd (then-MassDPW)
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Beeper1

• Last Login: April 18, 2019, 10:58:44 PM
« Reply #208 on: March 14, 2019, 11:32:12 PM »

Actually, that Valley Falls / Diamond Hill mileage sign was replaced in both of the last sign replacement projects.   I used to travel that route regularly and clearly remember the previous versions.   For some reason, it is always replaced identical to the previous one, and never changed to the more current format MA uses for mileage signs or to remove the km distances.

Follow up:  is this the only remaining sign in MA with mile and km distances? 

PHLBOS

« Reply #209 on: March 15, 2019, 08:47:39 AM »

Actually, that Valley Falls / Diamond Hill mileage sign was replaced in both of the last sign replacement projects.
I'm assuming that those sign replacement projects you're referring to were MA projects and only covered the short MA stretch of I-295.  The replacement signs along the RI stretch were separate/independent RIDOT project(s).

I used to travel that route regularly and clearly remember the previous versions.   For some reason, it is always replaced identical to the previous one, and never changed to the more current format MA uses for mileage signs or to remove the km distances.
That is odd to be sure.  MA's first mileage BGS' that showed km distances were from the mid-1970s.

Follow up: is this the only remaining sign in MA with mile and km distances?
Offhand, I would say yes.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Ben114

• yep that's me

• Last Login: April 18, 2019, 09:27:19 PM
« Reply #210 on: March 15, 2019, 11:18:57 AM »

That's probably the first APL in RI, I gotta check that out soon

shadyjay

« Reply #211 on: March 15, 2019, 04:20:43 PM »

95SB in Providence gas a couple as well.  I've got shots of those on my I95 RI page on Flickr.

Beeper1

• Last Login: April 18, 2019, 10:58:44 PM
« Reply #212 on: March 15, 2019, 04:49:38 PM »

Actually, that Valley Falls / Diamond Hill mileage sign was replaced in both of the last sign replacement projects.
I'm assuming that those sign replacement projects you're referring to were MA projects and only covered the short MA stretch of I-295.  The replacement signs along the RI stretch were separate/independent RIDOT project(s).

I used to travel that route regularly and clearly remember the previous versions.   For some reason, it is always replaced identical to the previous one, and never changed to the more current format MA uses for mileage signs or to remove the km distances.
That is odd to be sure.  MA's first mileage BGS' that showed km distances were from the mid-1970s.

Yes, they were replaced by MA as part of their sign contracts.  This has always been a MA sign, it never matched the style of any of the BGSs on the RI side of the line.

spooky

• Last Login: April 18, 2019, 11:23:51 AM
« Reply #213 on: March 18, 2019, 08:05:54 AM »

That's probably the first APL in RI, I gotta check that out soon

There has been an APL on I-95 SB in Providence for the US 6/RI 10/Downtown exit for at least a couple years.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8353465,-71.416005,3a,75y,200.69h,96.56t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1snB7tPYAZZYYiIdiJgkD0IQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

southshore720

• Last Login: April 12, 2019, 12:27:01 PM
« Reply #214 on: March 18, 2019, 09:10:21 PM »

It would've been a smarter idea to erect this APL AFTER the bridge repair.  However, it's RIDOT...so I shouldn't be surprised.

roadman

• Last Login: April 18, 2019, 04:32:09 PM
« Reply #215 on: April 11, 2019, 01:42:34 PM »

Yes, they were replaced by MA as part of their sign contracts.  This has always been a MA sign, it never matched the style of any of the BGSs on the RI side of the line.

Wrong.  The 'Valley Falls/Diamond Hill' distance sign with the dual MI/km distances is done to RI spec, not MA.  This sign was retained during both the 1988 MassDPW and 2005 MassHighway I-295 sign replacement projects.  As the sign is located in MA, I'm not sure how it got there to begin with. 
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.