AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: West Virginia  (Read 3588 times)

sprjus4

• Last Login: Today at 01:25:50 AM
Re: West Virginia
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2019, 12:17:42 PM »

http://www.theintelligencer.net/news/community/2019/03/bill-in-the-west-virginia-legislature-would-allow-west-virginia-department-of-transportation-to-increase-speed-limits-to-75-mph-changes-on-interstate-70-unlikely/
That's nice, but there are very few places in that state with enough sight distance to get to 75 from 70. I don't see a need for this.
Apparently divided-highways with limited-access, but still at-grade intersections were authorized as high as 70 MPH, though this legislation would shoot that back to 65 MPH. Granted, none actually made 70 MPH, but rather 65 MPH, so this legislation wouldn't impact any existing divided highways, as none are 70 MPH.

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: April 19, 2019, 11:51:10 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2019, 04:02:21 PM »

http://www.theintelligencer.net/news/community/2019/03/bill-in-the-west-virginia-legislature-would-allow-west-virginia-department-of-transportation-to-increase-speed-limits-to-75-mph-changes-on-interstate-70-unlikely/
That's nice, but there are very few places in that state with enough sight distance to get to 75 from 70. I don't see a need for this.

You'd be surprised how fast traffic moves on I-64 between the US 60 exit (29th Street) and the first Kanawha River bridge. I'm a veteran of driving that highway, and it's not uncommon to have 80 mph be the prevailing speed.

In most places along I-79, and I-77 north of Charleston, I don't feel comfortable driving above 70 due to the curves. I think the turnpike south of Beckley could handle 75, along with most of I-64 east of Beckley.

Bitmapped

• Last Login: April 17, 2019, 10:37:50 AM
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2019, 05:30:15 PM »

This is a resolution asking the Secretary of Transportation (who doubles as the Commissioner of Highways) to reevaluate speed limits. It doesn't make any change to what the Commissioner can do with speed limits. WV does not have any statutory limits on what the Commissioner can set. He can set 75mph speed limits now.

Most of WV's Interstate system was built with a design speed of 65. It's already posted above design speed at 70. I doubt you'll see speed limits increased further because of that reason. Even if the state was inclined to sign a higher limit, I have to think FHWA would start asking a lot of questions.

vdeane

• Last Login: April 19, 2019, 07:45:07 PM
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2019, 09:46:18 PM »

On my way to/from the New River Gorge meet, I drove a uniform 75 in all the 70 zones (well, except for the time I was driving in a heavy rain, but that was due to the weather, not the road) and it felt very comfortable.  Should a speed limit be a LIMIT rather than "here's a number, we know you'll drive 5-20 mph faster, that's fine"?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Bitmapped

• Last Login: April 17, 2019, 10:37:50 AM
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2019, 08:24:08 PM »

On my way to/from the New River Gorge meet, I drove a uniform 75 in all the 70 zones (well, except for the time I was driving in a heavy rain, but that was due to the weather, not the road) and it felt very comfortable.  Should a speed limit be a LIMIT rather than "here's a number, we know you'll drive 5-20 mph faster, that's fine"?

Traffic pretty commonly flows at 75mph on the Interstates and 70mph on at least portions of the Corridors now.

SP Cook

• Last Login: April 19, 2019, 10:24:18 AM

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.