AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

anyone else having an insane amount of trouble with the new Google Maps?

instant browser crash
- 6 (2.9%)
loads fine, then crashes the browser when attempting to do anything at all
- 19 (9.1%)
not quite terrible, but still worse
- 100 (47.8%)
I am indifferent
- 44 (21.1%)
I actually like the new Google Maps
- 40 (19.1%)

Total Members Voted: 209

Author Topic: Google Maps just fucking SUCKS now  (Read 220698 times)

• Formerly inactive 10 Oct 2018-9 Mar 2019

• Last Login: Today at 05:29:23 PM
Re: Google Maps just fucking SUCKS now
« Reply #1300 on: March 10, 2019, 07:29:54 AM »

The user-submitted 360 images are starting to really irritate me. It seems that when going into street view, Google Maps prioritizes them over normal street view imagery which means it often takes multiple attempts to get into street view in areas where people have submitted pictures. Or even worse, when people tried to make their own 'street view' with their awful phone camera, which means entire roads are overlapping with user images.
This has been driving me crazy for probably years now.

And as for the more-current discussion about municipal boundaries, they still don't have anything about Fox Crossing, WI (incorporated in 2016 from the former Menasha Twp) anywhere.

Edit: That would be kind of a grave dig, wouldn't it?
Fill out my Interstate polls!
http://www.poll-maker.com/poll805182x44f646d7-32 http://www.poll-maker.com/poll805191xAA68C501-32

Formerly RandomDude172.

Unavailable until 16 July.

MNHighwayMan

• Blue and gold forever!

• Last Login: Today at 02:46:16 PM
« Reply #1301 on: March 10, 2019, 04:39:50 PM »

The user-submitted 360 images are starting to really irritate me. It seems that when going into street view, Google Maps prioritizes them over normal street view imagery which means it often takes multiple attempts to get into street view in areas where people have submitted pictures. Or even worse, when people tried to make their own 'street view' with their awful phone camera, which means entire roads are overlapping with user images.

This so much. Especially frustrating when I see something in Google's images, then move forward to get a better look and it switches to user bullshit, and the thing isn't there anymore.

Michael

• Last Login: April 14, 2019, 03:14:23 PM
« Reply #1302 on: March 14, 2019, 09:27:46 PM »

This so much. Especially frustrating when I see something in Google's images, then move forward to get a better look and it switches to user bullshit, and the thing isn't there anymore.

Try using the arrow keys instead of clicking.  If I'm looking at a Street View image that doesn't quite line up with the road (usually older images and/or multi-lane roads), it jumps to one that does line up.  Using the arrow keys forces the road you're on and the date to stay the same.

I just came across something actually good in Google Maps that was in classic Google Maps, but wasn't in new Maps at first.  In classic Maps, you could drop Pegman pointing in a specific direction.  For example, if you wanted to face east on a north-south road, you'd drop Pegman off to the right.  I never got this to work in new Maps, but just now noticed it works again!  New Maps used to default to looking north, and if you re-entered Street View, it would face the last direction you were looking.  For a while now, I've been ending up in what I thought was a random direction, but I just realized it was working the old way again!  My only complaints are that the green circle under Pegman doesn't point the way he's "looking", and it's harder to get the direction just right than it was in classic Maps.

ipeters61

• Highway Safety Analyst

• Last Login: Today at 04:41:41 PM
    • Personal Website
« Reply #1303 on: March 14, 2019, 10:49:40 PM »

Some guy decided to cover The Circle in Georgetown DE with his own "street view" images and now it's practically impossible to navigate there in actual Street View.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Why I don't use GPS

Rothman

• Last Login: Today at 06:56:08 PM
« Reply #1304 on: April 03, 2019, 10:51:29 AM »

See the Garden State Parkway address:

https://goo.gl/maps/Vb2XuYPZnwo
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ipeters61

• Highway Safety Analyst

• Last Login: Today at 04:41:41 PM
    • Personal Website
« Reply #1305 on: April 03, 2019, 11:48:21 AM »

I've seen that on a few expressways when getting directions.

Speaking of that, here's a neighborhood where the streets show up in Cyrillic characters.  It's in Delaware.  https://goo.gl/maps/7ACDyQxyRsz
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Why I don't use GPS

Rothman

• Last Login: Today at 06:56:08 PM
« Reply #1306 on: April 03, 2019, 11:55:21 AM »

I've seen that on a few expressways when getting directions.

Speaking of that, here's a neighborhood where the streets show up in Cyrillic characters.  It's in Delaware.  https://goo.gl/maps/7ACDyQxyRsz
That is truly bizarre since it looks like regular English on the map.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.