AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The forum just turned ten years old! Where has all the time gone?

Author Topic: Help me plan a trip from Baltimore to South Dakota and back!  (Read 11993 times)

Laura

• Mrs. MD Roads

• Last Login: November 21, 2018, 07:15:43 PM
    • MD Roads
Re: Help me plan a trip from Baltimore to South Dakota and back!
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2014, 11:09:03 PM »

In exactly one month, I will be on my way to South Dakota!! (w00t!)

I've thoroughly got over the itinerary for there and back, and mostly have that nailed down. There's a few changes, but I really want to ask about my itinerary in South Dakota itself more than anything!!

• So as of right now, the plan is to arrive into South Dakota proper on Monday afternoon/evening. The morning/early afternoon will be spent checking out stuff in Nebraska (Carhenge, Chimney Rock, Scottsbluff). We don't have anything planned, because quite honestly I think we will be more than happy to arrive at our cabin and just chill.
  • Tuesday will include Mt. Rushmore in the morning and Crazy Horse either in the afternoon or evening. Maybe evening so that we can see the laser light show at night?
  • Wednesday will include Wall, SD and Badlands National Park. I'm not sure which is better to do first: the town or the park?
  • Thursday morning we will head out to Devil's Tower and then head later to Belle Fourche and Deadwood.

I tried to keep the itineraries a bit loose so that we can enjoy our time at each place and so that we can fit in some leisurely loop tours (which I'll detail more below). Have I made them too loose? If so, please let me know.

Also, we had hoped to see one of the caves (either Wind or Jewel; leaning towards Jewel), but I'm not sure which day would be best for this. From what I've read, you have to get there early to schedule a tour, so I feel like this has to be a morning activity. Perhaps Wednesday morning?

If we decide that we want to do something additional Monday, we could always move Crazy Horse to this slot, or spend time in Hot Springs or Rapid City. I just can't predict at this point how tired Mom is going to be, and since there are hiking trails from our campsite, it might be an ideal opportunity for Mike and I to go hiking for a bit while she rests.

Now onto questions about loop drives (yay):

Thanks again for all of your help!!!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 11:12:34 PM by Laura »
Disclaimer: All comments here represent my own personal opinion(s) as citizen Laura.

MD Roads
County Clinches

andy3175

• Last Login: April 19, 2019, 11:52:06 PM
    • AARoads
Re: Help me plan a trip from Baltimore to South Dakota and back!
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2014, 11:54:49 PM »

Laura,

I think you have a great itinerary, and I think you will be pleased with any of the routes you mentioned when traveling through the Black Hills. You pretty much can't go wrong! The 16A loop and Wildlife Loop in Custer State Park are the best drives in my opinion closely followed by Needles Hwy (SD 87). I hope  you have a wonderful time enjoying the West!
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.