News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

People and bad/unusual driving habits

Started by FLRoads, June 25, 2009, 09:59:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLRoads

While on a mini road trip last weekend I encountered a driver on Interstate 10 doing something I have never seen done before. While heading eastbound I was traveling in the right lane when I approached a vehicle in front of me who began drifting onto the emergency lane, and in fact, running  both right side tires over the rumble strips. I backed off a little bit so the driver could compensate and once that happened I preceded to get in the left lane to pass by. As I was in a "wall defend all" position (side by side to normal people) I looked over and to my utter amazement I observed an 8 month old baby in her moms lap breastfeeding. I would say this may not be a problem, other than the fact that the woman was driving while doing the breastfeeding!! The child must have bitten down on the nipple and that's what made her swerve. So, the child was nestled between "mama" and the steering wheel, happy as can be, and there was not much room at that. The mom was holding the baby with her right arm while using her left arm and hand to hold the steering wheel. And all the while the husband/boyfriend was fast asleep in the passenger seat. I so would have loved to have been a cop in this situation. I would have actually called the highway patrol in this situation but my cell phone signal was out in that area (as I have Sprint which pretty much does not work in certain areas of NW Florida, even along main highways!).

I know that there are plenty of people out there who have bad or unusual habits while driving (i.e. cell phones, doing make-up, shaving, eating, etc.), but this one tops them all for my driving experiences. It actually topped what I saw Saturday on my road trip to Panama City, but I will save that for later...

I'm sure many of you have some experiences about bad drivers that you would like to share. If so, you can share them here.

Ian

On I-787 going south in Watervliet, NY, we were in the left lane and a car in the center lane had his computer on the dashboard and was typing up a paper in MS word! I guess he forgot to do his assignment for work the other night and was doing it while driving as a last minute thing  :-D.

Ian
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

roadfro

I had a couple friends in high school who would read novels for English class while on the way to school.  In some cases, they were driving all the way across Las Vegas on freeways in morning rush hour traffic while doing so...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.