AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Unnecessary highways  (Read 13681 times)

thenetwork

• Last Login: June 15, 2019, 11:05:41 AM
Re: Unnecessary highways
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2009, 09:09:19 AM »

But it does save you a little cash if you are using it to avoid  the bulk of I-76 on the Ohio Turnpike.  Coming from Pittsburgh, you now only have to shell out 50 Cents to get to Cleveland, if you don't mind using the I-279/79/76 (Tpk)/680/76(Freeway)/77 combo.

I think you're a little off on your figure here.  On the route you've chosen,  you'll pass through the Gateway Toll Plaza on the PA Turnpike which is $3.75 plus the $.50 on the Ohio Tpk to I-680 which is $4.25 total.

Actually, the PA Turnpike barrier toll is only paid eastbound when coming into PA from Ohio, and then technically, it is a "free"way if you use the turnpike solely between I-79 and PA-60/Future I-376, as all the toll plazas have been removed between those three exits.

What I used to do to get to Pittsburgh "toll-free" from Youngstown was to follow I-680 south to SR-165.  Then SR-165 south to SR 14, which becomes PA-51 in PA.  Then PA-51 east would hook you up to PA-60 just south of the toll portion.

worldtravelermsk

• Last Login: September 26, 2009, 03:05:16 PM
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2009, 06:18:25 PM »

Wheeling has to be the smallest city to get an interstate bypass.  One or the other of 70 or 470 was totally unneeded.

I'm sure that has a lot to do with the Wheeling Tunnel.  That creates restrictions for some trucks, and creates 1-thru lane sections.  Since I-470 is signed the recommended thru route for interstate traffic, they probably should've just switched the numbers... but people seem to figure it out anyway.

I-470 exists in OH/WV primarily as a truck bypass and a thru route while I-70 is more for local traffic. On the whole, 470 is fastest way to get through the Wheeling area; hence the "Washington, Pa" / "Columbus" destinations. It's also a much safer road than I-70 - there's no narrow tunnel, the Ohio River bridge crossing is safer, there's no dangerous weaves/interchanges and the mountain grades are much easier on truckers. While I-470 is of greater interstate quality, there probably was some opposition that prevented the route through downtown Wheeling being designated as a 3di.

Sykotyk

• Last Login: February 03, 2019, 02:49:05 AM
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2009, 02:56:53 AM »

I-470 exists in OH/WV primarily as a truck bypass and a thru route while I-70 is more for local traffic. On the whole, 470 is fastest way to get through the Wheeling area; hence the "Washington, Pa" / "Columbus" destinations. It's also a much safer road than I-70 - there's no narrow tunnel, the Ohio River bridge crossing is safer, there's no dangerous weaves/interchanges and the mountain grades are much easier on truckers. While I-470 is of greater interstate quality, there probably was some opposition that prevented the route through downtown Wheeling being designated as a 3di.

I'd like to fervently refute that.

From near St. Clairsville, it's downhill to the Tunnel, relatively flat until you make the climb to Cabela Drive at Exit 9. I-470 requires a downhill to the river, a huge 5-6% grade, and a downhill grade that requires all trucks to file into one lane (the left) in order to stay on i-70. Secondly, there's a rough merge of that lane onto I-70, which is part of a righthand curve.

Hardly the safest or most efficient. Most will take their chances with the tunnel traffic than that hill on I-470 east bound.

Sykotyk

74/171FAN

• Last Login: June 15, 2019, 08:53:10 AM
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2009, 07:40:49 PM »

VA 895 for sure but IMHO it probably wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't a toll road
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Stephane Dumas

• Last Login: June 15, 2019, 10:37:07 PM
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2009, 08:11:28 PM »

Another one:

Interstate 95 north of Bangor, ME.

Look at how many cars are there and give me a good reason why it shouldn't be a freeway past there.

Currently it link with NB-95 (recently upgraded to full freeway standards to TCH-2) but there was some groups who wants to have I-95 extended northernly to Aroostock county http://www.interstate-guide.com/i-095.html and before the Interstate act pased, there was some plans to extend the Maine Turnpike northernly as well. http://web.archive.org/web/20010210013456/www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~mn2n/tollme.html

Chris

• International road enthusiast

• Last Login: Today at 03:28:36 AM
    • Flickr
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2009, 06:19:16 AM »

VA 895 for sure but IMHO it probably wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't a toll road

I'm afraid that counts for most tolled bypasses... For instance, who would use Texas 8 (Sam Houston Tollway) to get around Houston from San Antonio towards Beaumont?

exit322

• Last Login: June 04, 2019, 08:31:39 AM
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2009, 08:40:54 AM »

I'm not sure people would use Beltway 8 even if it were free; it's hardly an efficient bypass.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.