AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dallas: officials seeking funding for I-635 east expansion  (Read 8844 times)

Bobby5280

• Last Login: Today at 12:53:22 AM
Re: Dallas: officials seeking funding for I-635 east expansion
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2017, 08:30:00 PM »

Parts of the I-820 expansion in Fort Worth are kind of odd. Much of the road has been paved with asphalt rather than longer lasting concrete. Even though there's 2 toll lane going in each direction there's as few as 2 general purpose lanes in each direction as well.  They probably could have had 5 or 6 lanes going in each direction within the same space.

The I-35E project North of Dallas is certainly not as good as other expansion projects in the DFW area. My main gripe is the narrow striped lanes. However, that is an interim project. The plan is to do another expansion project a few years from now. That would add another pair of toll lanes (getting rid of the current reversible toll lanes setup) and presumably fix the lane widths, getting them back to 12' wide.

Plutonic Panda

• Last Login: April 19, 2019, 11:43:39 PM
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2017, 09:37:11 PM »

That project won’t be affected by the recent anti toll position taken?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 07:26:26 PM by Plutonic Panda »

Bobby5280

• Last Login: Today at 12:53:22 AM
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2017, 05:09:36 PM »

Oh, the second half of the I-35E expansion project certainly could be badly affected by these recent political moves against toll roads. It would be a hell of a lot harder to get funding for the project. Voters hate toll roads, but they sure hate fuel taxes and any rate hikes on them every bit as much too.

It will be interesting to see what kinds of increases in traffic accidents occur on I-35E between Dallas and Denton. It seems fair to assume narrow lanes and high traffic counts will result in many more cars "trading paint." If the number of accidents and resulting back-ups really accumulate then the public anger over it could eventually get the rest of that I-35E project funded. As a "free" road the separate 2 lane roadways would be used for HOV traffic rather than Lexus lane traffic.

MaxConcrete

• Last Login: April 19, 2019, 04:00:31 PM
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2017, 10:31:46 AM »

News report about NCTCOG's plans to make a presentation to the Texas Transportation Commission at the January 25 meeting.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/dallas/2017/12/24/backers-toll-financed-lbj-east-expansion-hope-state-officials-will-take-road-block

At the last meeting when toll projects were removed from the plan, Austin had a large delegation in support of toll lanes on IH 35, but it didn't help. I'm thinking North Texas officials need to do some work behind the scenes to lobby the people that really matter: Lieutenent Governor Patrick and Governor Abbott.

A plan to fund 14-plus free lanes on LBJ Freeway by adding tolls to four lanes on the same highway is likely to fall on deaf ears when its presented to the Texas Transportation Commission next month.

But with no other solution on the board to fund the $1.8 billion LBJ East expansion project, the leaders of the Regional Transportation Commission — which allocates the area's state and federal transportation dollars — feel they have to make a unified pitch to state transportation officials.

The 10.8 miles of Interstate 635 through Dallas, Garland and Mesquite has become a focal point in the the state's tolled freeway debate. Leaders in those cities fear a "pay as you go" approach would saddle the area from Central Expressway to Interstate 30 with a decade of construction.

Gov. Greg Abbott and Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick have directed the Texas Transportation Commission not to use toll revenue to finance public roadway projects around the state.

Stalled in the crossfire of three consecutive legislative sessions without funding approval for LBJ East is the $65 million reconfiguration of the Skillman/Audelia interchange at LBJ.

It's a project that Dallas leaders say simply can't wait anymore. Approved separately, it was tied to LBJ East because the Texas Department of Transportation wanted to keep concurrent projects from having separate contractors.

MaxConcrete

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2018, 12:26:54 AM »

The Dallas Morning News is reporting that a compromise has been reached to end the stalemate. The new plan (pending approval and no new issues) keeps the same number of lanes but changes the configuration from 5-2E-2E-5 to 6-1M-1M-6. This would be the longest stretch of 6 sustained free lanes each way in Texas (about 11 miles). Anti-toll leadership in Austin apparently deems this acceptable since there are already two HOT lanes on the freeway, and most users of the HOT lane (carpools) don't pay the toll.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/transportation/2018/05/07/austin-north-texas-leaders-seeing-eye-eye-lbj-east-another-shot-states-list

State officials are promising a long-awaited go-ahead for the $1.8 billion LBJ East freeway improvements if regional officials agree to build the road without additional tolled lanes in a Thursday meeting.

Interstate 635, LBJ Freeway, currently has four free lanes and an HOV/express lane running down the middle in each direction, a "4-1-1-4" format. That would change to "6-1-1-6" with widening to include two more free lanes in each direction between Central Expressway and Mesquite.

In addition, the plan being proposed to the Regional Transportation Council at its meeting this week in Arlington stipulates the continuous frontage roads and a rebuilt interchange at Interstate 30 that Dallas, Garland and Mesquite officials have wanted.

"Based on agreement from the RTC ... the commission and TxDOT are ready to advance," J. Bruce Bugg, chairman of the Texas Transportation Commission, told regional leaders in a letter. The TTC oversees the Texas Department of Transportation.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 12:30:30 AM by MaxConcrete »

txstateends

• Location: north TX, not far from an interstate interchange and a US terminus
  • Last Login: April 17, 2019, 02:59:24 PM
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2018, 01:06:17 AM »

The squabbles and hand-wringing look to be over on this one.  Construction contract will be awarded next year, with completion in 2024.  Oh, goodie, 5 years of fun and detours...

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/transportation/2018/05/24/txdot-gets-long-awaited-go-ahead-move-forward-lbj-east-project
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

MaxConcrete

« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2018, 11:40:18 AM »

Unfortunately the approved plan does not convert the two cancelled toll lanes into regular lanes. So if the plan proceeds as proposed, the net gain for main traffic lanes is only 1 regular lane each way. (Of course there are also big improvements to frontage roads and auxiliary lanes).

http://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot/commission/2018/0524/6a-presentation.pdf

According the news article, elected officials are going to push for the 6 free lanes each way. I think the costs of the bids will be the main determining factor if the sixth free lane each way is included

Because there were space and plans for a configuration with five free lanes and two managed lanes in each direction, the senators said they would push for a switch to six free lanes with the grandfathered single managed lane in each direction.

"I think there would still be enough money for 14 lanes," Huffines said.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.