Regional Boards > Midwest - Great Lakes

Ohio

<< < (2/60) > >>

vtk:

--- Quote from: Purgatory On Wheels on October 15, 2015, 08:16:38 PM ---With Ohio adding exit numbers and tabs to many non-interstates recently, it seems that the (mostly-) freeway from I-270 to Newark could benefit from some.  But since it's made up of 3 different state routes (161, 37, and 16), how would exits be numbered?

--- End quote ---

They could do the sensible thing, and treat the Columbus– Newcomerstown Macro-Corridor as the main route, and number the exits consistently, starting with 1A–D at 270 / Sunbury / Little Turtle. But they won't do that.

I noticed the other day that the New Albany Bypass has its original button copy signage from circa 2000. That will probably be replaced in a few years, and gain exit numbers based on the state mileage of OH 161. This work will likely include only the Hamilton Rd, New Albany Rd, and US 62 exits, because signage east and west of there is newer.

Thinking wishfully, ODOT might come up with a statewide exit numbering plan that makes sense in the big picture before they haphazardly slap exit numbers on 16, 37, 79, and 161 in Licking County.

Purgatory On Wheels:

--- Quote from: vtk on October 15, 2015, 11:35:44 PM ---They could do the sensible thing, and treat the Columbus– Newcomerstown Macro-Corridor as the main route, and number the exits consistently, starting with 1A–D at 270 / Sunbury / Little Turtle. But they won't do that.

I noticed the other day that the New Albany Bypass has its original button copy signage from circa 2000. That will probably be replaced in a few years, and gain exit numbers based on the state mileage of OH 161. This work will likely include only the Hamilton Rd, New Albany Rd, and US 62 exits, because signage east and west of there is newer.

Thinking wishfully, ODOT might come up with a statewide exit numbering plan that makes sense in the big picture before they haphazardly slap exit numbers on 16, 37, 79, and 161 in Licking County.

--- End quote ---

How hard would it be to give the entire corridor a single number? It couldn't all be 16, since that belongs on Broad St, but they could extend 161 out to Newcomerstown and truncate 16 in Granville. Or give it a completely new number.

vtk:

--- Quote from: Purgatory On Wheels on October 17, 2015, 11:52:16 PM ---
--- Quote from: vtk on October 15, 2015, 11:35:44 PM ---They could do the sensible thing, and treat the Columbus– Newcomerstown Macro-Corridor as the main route, and number the exits consistently, starting with 1A–D at 270 / Sunbury / Little Turtle. But they won't do that.

--- End quote ---

How hard would it be to give the entire corridor a single number? It couldn't all be 16, since that belongs on Broad St, but they could extend 161 out to Newcomerstown and truncate 16 in Granville. Or give it a completely new number.

--- End quote ---

There's no reason 16 has to run down Broad St. From Granville, the best connection to Columbus is now via New Albany, and I would be completely in favor of rerouting 16 accordingly.

The question of "how hard is it" depends on perspective.  I think it would be very hard for a few roadgeeks to convince multiple ODOT districts to persue the change. From ODOT's perspective, it might not be too hard to ram the change through the public information process, but there's a question of motivation.  There's almost no recent history of changing state routes just to make the system more logical and/or consistent, so I'm not optimistic this corridor will see any numbering changes in the forseeable future.

sandwalk:

--- Quote from: vtk on October 18, 2015, 12:53:25 AM ---There's almost no recent history of changing state routes just to make the system more logical and/or consistent

--- End quote ---

Very true.  There are a handful of corridors I can think of off the top of my head where this is the case.

*  US-23 / SR-15 expressway set-up in northwest Ohio
    https://goo.gl/eDyrIt

*  US-20 / SR-10 freeway west of I-480 in northeast Ohio
    https://goo.gl/wOYUhf

*  SR-5 / SR-82 / Warren Outer Belt , to a lesser extent
    https://goo.gl/5xWuJJ

Can these corridors have a unifying number? Sure. Do they really need a unifying number? Who knows, but probably not....

silverback1065:
What are the highway configurations at Cleveland's public square? I heard they removed some streets recently.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version