AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: This is true? - Geographic oddities that defy conventional wisdom  (Read 98528 times)

ipeters61

• Highway Safety Analyst

• Last Login: Today at 04:41:41 PM
    • Personal Website
Re: This is true? - Geographic oddities that defy conventional wisdom
« Reply #925 on: February 10, 2019, 12:12:42 PM »

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but the city limits of Anchorage Alaska (1963 sq mi) are larger than the entire state of Rhode Island (1212 sq mi) and approximately the size of the entire state of Delaware (1981 sq mi).
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Why I don't use GPS

kalvado

• Last Login: Today at 05:39:48 PM
« Reply #926 on: February 10, 2019, 03:17:50 PM »

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but the city limits of Anchorage Alaska (1963 sq mi) are larger than the entire state of Rhode Island (1212 sq mi) and approximately the size of the entire state of Delaware (1981 sq mi).
And I wonder how they plow that entire area after the snowfall...

oscar

• Last Login: Today at 05:35:44 PM
    • my Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #927 on: February 10, 2019, 03:53:28 PM »

The City of Anchorage used to be much smaller. It consolidated with the former Greater Anchorage Area Borough, which swept into the new Anchorage Municipality several outlying communities that are not separately incorporated, and a lot of uninhabited mountains. The city limits thus encompass a lot of empty territory that has to go somewhere, and doesn't really belong in a neighboring borough like Kenai Peninsula or Matanuska-Susitna.

Alaska has other consolidated city-boroughs that are far larger in land area than Anchorage Municipality. The largest one is Yakutat city-borough, with more than ten times as many square miles within its boundaries (7,650) as residents (662). The Juneau, Sitka, Haines, and Wrangell city-boroughs also are larger than Anchorage.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 04:33:06 PM by oscar »
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

MantyMadTown

• UW-Madison

• Last Login: Today at 01:51:12 AM
« Reply #928 on: February 10, 2019, 05:58:05 PM »

The City of Anchorage used to be much smaller. It consolidated with the former Greater Anchorage Area Borough, which swept into the new Anchorage Municipality several outlying communities that are not separately incorporated, and a lot of uninhabited mountains. The city limits thus encompass a lot of empty territory that has to go somewhere, and doesn't really belong in a neighboring borough like Kenai Peninsula or Matanuska-Susitna.

Alaska has other consolidated city-boroughs that are far larger in land area than Anchorage Municipality. The largest one is Yakutat city-borough, with more than ten times as many square miles within its boundaries (7,650) as residents (662). The Juneau, Sitka, Haines, and Wrangell city-boroughs also are larger than Anchorage.

If I remember correctly, those consolidated city-boroughs are larger in land area than any other city in the United States. Jacksonville is the largest city by land area in the United States after the consolidated city-boroughs in Alaska, with a land area of 747 sq mi.

Also Dane County is larger than Rhode Island. Talk about how small Rhode Island is.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 12:11:42 AM by MantyMadTown »
Forget the I-41 haters

Roadgeekteen

• Interstates everywhere to everything

• Last Login: April 18, 2019, 11:13:20 PM
    • Interstate plans
« Reply #929 on: February 10, 2019, 06:07:15 PM »

It takes less time to drive from Pensacola to Columbus, Ohio than Key West.
I'm a young roadgeek who has been interested in roads since I was a little kid.

MantyMadTown

• UW-Madison

• Last Login: Today at 01:51:12 AM
« Reply #930 on: February 10, 2019, 11:58:34 PM »

It takes less time to drive from Pensacola to Columbus, Ohio than Key West.

That reminds me of how on I-10 in Texas it's faster to drive to either side of the country than to the other side of Texas. If you're in El Paso, it takes less time to drive to San Diego than it does to drive to the other side of Texas in Orange. Likewise, if you're in Orange, TX, it takes less time to drive to Jacksonville, FL than it does to El Paso.

Also at the far northern end of California, it is faster to drive the Canadian border than to San Diego.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 12:02:05 AM by MantyMadTown »
Forget the I-41 haters

qguy

• Last Login: Today at 03:27:05 PM
« Reply #931 on: February 11, 2019, 06:17:31 AM »

If I remember correctly, those consolidated city-boroughs are larger in land area than any other city in the United States. Jacksonville is the largest city by land area in the United States after the consolidated city-boroughs in Alaska, with a land area of 747 sq mi.

Also Dane County is larger than Rhode Island. Talk about how small Rhode Island is.

This is how Phoenix, Arizona, has been growing in population, passing the size of other cities. It's not because it's population is growing, it's because it keeps annexing more suburbs.

ipeters61

• Highway Safety Analyst

• Last Login: Today at 04:41:41 PM
    • Personal Website
« Reply #932 on: February 11, 2019, 08:24:05 AM »

This is how Phoenix, Arizona, has been growing in population, passing the size of other cities. It's not because it's population is growing, it's because it keeps annexing more suburbs.
I've heard this is what happened with Middletown DE and Smyrna DE, although there's also been a lot of construction in those towns.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Why I don't use GPS

Bruce

• Transit Commuter

• Last Login: April 18, 2019, 11:16:00 PM
    • Wikipedia
« Reply #933 on: March 09, 2019, 02:29:47 AM »

Jefferson County, WA is split in half by the Olympic Mountains, which means traveling from its coastal towns to the county seat in Port Townsend requires going around via Clallam County.

bing101

• Last Login: Today at 09:44:25 AM

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.