AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: I-895 (Baltimore Harbor Tunnel Thruway)  (Read 25652 times)

Henry

• Last Login: August 17, 2019, 11:31:44 PM
    • Henry Watson's Online Freeway
Re: I-895 (Baltimore Harbor Tunnel Thruway)
« Reply #150 on: July 26, 2019, 10:25:22 AM »

According to Wikipedia, by comparison, you'll travel 14.87 miles on I-895 from one end to the other versus 15.24 on I-95 between the same two endpoints.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

cpzilliacus

• Last Login: Today at 04:07:23 AM
Re: I-895 (Baltimore Harbor Tunnel Thruway)
« Reply #151 on: July 29, 2019, 02:27:56 PM »

The contractor has started to hang the structural steel on which the northbound lanes of the reconstructed Canton Viaduct will rest.  I saw them at work last night.  Associated with that are short closures in the overnight hours of both directions of I-895 to deliver the steel assemblies by truck.  Originally, I think the plan had been to close all lanes of I-895 over weekends to get the steel delivered and placed.

A temporary-looking pipe (presumably to carry water for firefighting if needed) is being installed on the walkway in the northbound tube (it used to have a railing, and there were booths where police officers watched traffic pass by and presumably responded on foot to incidents - they had to walk that walkway to and from their duty stations - probably not the healthiest place to go for a walk) - I think the booths were removed in the 1980's as part of the renovation work done starting in 1985 or 1986.

I know that some of the existing pipes in the tubes for carrying water do not work, and those are to be replaced or repaired under this contract.

The repair to the stonework next to the northbound lanes at the south tunnel portal is continuing.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 02:33:27 PM by cpzilliacus »
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.