AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: How do you define Upstate NY?  (Read 29755 times)

MantyMadTown

• UW-Madison

• Last Login: December 07, 2019, 06:54:22 PM
Re: How do you define Upstate NY?
« Reply #275 on: September 26, 2018, 02:09:06 AM »

As someone who's never been to New York, I would probably guess that Upstate NY begins north of the lower Hudson Valley region, i.e. about north of Poughkeepsie.

And what leads you to that conclusion? After all, the whole point here is not to guess, but to see if a boundary can be objectively and empirically determined.

I just wanted to provide my input. No need to shoot it down.

And I am interested in hearing your input; there is no shooting down intended. What, then, are your thoughts?

Anything in New York State that has a general association with New York City. If it's within easy reach of New York City (like if a lot of commuters work there for example), then it's Downstate.

Sounds like you'd adopt more or less the same definition that I would. Is there anything you'd tweak (such as, say, measuring the actual number of commuters rather than just their potential for doing so)?

I wasn't really looking for any actual measurements.
Forget the I-41 haters

empirestate

• Last Login: December 11, 2019, 02:59:25 PM
    • Empire State Roads
« Reply #276 on: September 26, 2018, 11:05:08 AM »

As someone who's never been to New York, I would probably guess that Upstate NY begins north of the lower Hudson Valley region, i.e. about north of Poughkeepsie.

And what leads you to that conclusion? After all, the whole point here is not to guess, but to see if a boundary can be objectively and empirically determined.

And I am interested in hearing your input; there is no shooting down intended. What, then, are your thoughts?

Anything in New York State that has a general association with New York City. If it's within easy reach of New York City (like if a lot of commuters work there for example), then it's Downstate.

Sounds like you'd adopt more or less the same definition that I would. Is there anything you'd tweak (such as, say, measuring the actual number of commuters rather than just their potential for doing so)?

Well, the idea is to find something fairly concrete, to be able to draw a specific line and be able to definitively say, on one side of this line is Upstate, and on the other is not, because of such-and-such observable difference. Commutation is also what I use to draw my line, and I particularize it by saying that areas with Metro North service are not Upstate (or, alternately, that those whole counties that are within the Metropolitan Commuter Tax District are not Upstate).

Since you haven't previously thought of a way to measure this, would you just take that as an appropriate definition, or would you look for something more precise?

MantyMadTown

• UW-Madison

• Last Login: December 07, 2019, 06:54:22 PM
« Reply #277 on: September 26, 2018, 05:07:59 PM »

Well, the idea is to find something fairly concrete, to be able to draw a specific line and be able to definitively say, on one side of this line is Upstate, and on the other is not, because of such-and-such observable difference. Commutation is also what I use to draw my line, and I particularize it by saying that areas with Metro North service are not Upstate (or, alternately, that those whole counties that are within the Metropolitan Commuter Tax District are not Upstate).

Since you haven't previously thought of a way to measure this, would you just take that as an appropriate definition, or would you look for something more precise?

Sounds about right.
Forget the I-41 haters

MattCollopy

• license plate collector since 2009

• Last Login: October 25, 2019, 09:38:07 AM
« Reply #278 on: October 03, 2018, 08:24:29 AM »

Beautiful and Scenic

webny99

• Roadgeek Forever.

• Last Login: Today at 03:49:06 PM
« Reply #279 on: October 03, 2018, 04:17:23 PM »

Beautiful and Scenic

Thank you for the (deserved) kind words!
Left Lane is For Passing, Not Camping!
Threads Started
Counties Clinched

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.