AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The next forum trivia night will take place on OCTOBER 30, 2019 at 8:15 PM Eastern.

Author Topic: Your current car!  (Read 21229 times)

Max Rockatansky

• Last Login: Today at 09:28:50 AM
    • Gribblenation
Re: Your current car!
« Reply #225 on: October 16, 2018, 04:52:34 PM »

Speaking of current cars and low gears, I did have an opportunity to test my low gear selector on my Impreza over the Sierras this past weekend.  Overall I came out pretty pleased, shifting from D to L often had me the correct gear to ride down 5-9% grades without having to touch my brakes.  The vented front discs and rear discs were a massive improvement over the disc/drum set up in my previous Sonic.  I hit roads like; CA 88, CA 89, NV 431, I-80, and CA 20 on this past trip which all has sustained grades.  Coupled with the results I got on CR J37 last month Iím pretty happy with what I have.  The suspension oddly cushions bumping and/or dirt roads in a way that almost felt truck like, way more soft of a ride than Iím used to. 

jakeroot

• U/Wash - Urban Design

• Location: Seattle and Tacoma, WA Vancouver, BC | Arlington, VA
  • Last Login: Today at 02:55:08 AM
« Reply #226 on: October 16, 2018, 08:19:43 PM »

How does the CVT work with low gears? Emulation?

Max Rockatansky

• Gribblenation
« Reply #227 on: October 16, 2018, 08:25:23 PM »

Apparently it has 7 speeds and kicks it down to the next lowest when you shift into L.  Some Subaruís also have a multimatic function with the CVT.  I went bargain basement on my car and got the base model.   

jakeroot

• U/Wash - Urban Design

« Reply #228 on: October 16, 2018, 08:50:47 PM »

Apparently it has 7 speeds and kicks it down to the next lowest when you shift into L.  Some Subaruís also have a multimatic function with the CVT.  I went bargain basement on my car and got the base model.

I usually go for the same thing, although usually that means 'manual'.

Is the shifter leather-wrapped? I seem to remember the old Subie auto shifters having a lot of plastic.

Max Rockatansky

• Gribblenation
« Reply #229 on: October 16, 2018, 09:20:31 PM »

I usually go for the same thing, although usually that means 'manual'.

Is the shifter leather-wrapped? I seem to remember the old Subie auto shifters having a lot of plastic.

Mine is wrapped in vinyl.  I thought about a manual but they had the base car on the lot with the CVT which was fine with me once I was convinced on the test drive the L shift would function adequately for low gear.  I was a little surprised that the Impreza still can be bad with hubcaps.  There are some Subaru oddities still like the car not locking automatically and certain lights having to be switched on/off. 

7/8

• Civil EIT (Full-Time Construction Inspector)

• Last Login: December 11, 2019, 10:02:48 PM
« Reply #230 on: November 26, 2019, 05:49:13 PM »

As of today, I have a 2016 VW Golf GTI! It's my first car purchase and I'm very excited :).

Also, I just noticed that my new licence plate matches my area code.

http://www.mob-rule.com/user/dscurtis
http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=7_8

- Bring back the pre-Mike Harris King's Highway System!

ozarkman417

• The "Living, breathing GPS".

• Last Login: Today at 09:16:34 AM
« Reply #231 on: November 26, 2019, 09:52:10 PM »

Had I known this thread existed (and if it didn't require a one year bump), I would have simply put some pictures of my hand-me-down car that I put here instead.

jakeroot

• U/Wash - Urban Design

« Reply #232 on: November 26, 2019, 11:13:55 PM »

As of today, I have a 2016 VW Golf GTI! It's my first car purchase and I'm very excited :).

Niiice! 15-year-old me would have compained about the decision to go DSG, but given the lack of interest in small cars generally, I'm happy to see anyone in a Golf (or, hell, any small car), no matter what transmission.

I'm currently very interested in the next GTI (to replace my Mk7 TDI), or perhaps the ID Space Vizzion (an electric wagon), whenever that comes to fruition.

7/8

• Civil EIT (Full-Time Construction Inspector)

• Last Login: December 11, 2019, 10:02:48 PM
« Reply #233 on: November 27, 2019, 07:19:26 AM »

Niiice! 15-year-old me would have compained about the decision to go DSG, but given the lack of interest in small cars generally, I'm happy to see anyone in a Golf (or, hell, any small car), no matter what transmission.

I'm currently very interested in the next GTI (to replace my Mk7 TDI), or perhaps the ID Space Vizzion (an electric wagon), whenever that comes to fruition.

Haha, my 23-year old brother is disappointed I didn't go manual. I did think about it, but I know my other family members will need to use it from time to time and only my Dad can drive a stick shift. Also, I wasn't sure if I wanted to commit to a manual, since I've only driven my brother's car a few times. At least this has the option to use paddle shifters (though my brother would still say it's not the same lol).

Personally I think the car size is right for what I need, since I usually drive solo anyway, but the back seats are still good for fitting 4 people. It also fits in the garage, which is crucial  :thumbsup:

http://www.mob-rule.com/user/dscurtis
http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=7_8

- Bring back the pre-Mike Harris King's Highway System!

Henry

• Last Login: Today at 10:31:34 AM
    • Henry Watson's Online Freeway
« Reply #234 on: November 27, 2019, 09:35:02 AM »

It's now been six months since I bought my 2019 Equinox, and I love it! While I miss my old Tahoe, I'm glad that I made my decision to downsize to something more economic that can still fit my road-trip needs.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.