AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Stopping at a certain post count  (Read 3143 times)

webny99

• Roadgeek Forever.

• Last Login: August 15, 2019, 10:04:08 PM
Stopping at a certain post count
« on: June 02, 2017, 04:38:21 PM »

My question is two-fold.

1 Have you ever decided to stop posting when you hit a certain amount of posts?

2 I want as many of my remaining posts as possible to be new threads. So what makes a thread interesting and worthy of replying to?
Left Lane is For Passing, Not Camping!
Threads Started
Counties Clinched

NE2

• fuck

• Last Login: Today at 09:01:36 AM
Re: Stopping at a certain post count
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 04:41:21 PM »

You should stop when you hit 171.
Florida route log | pre-1945
I will do my best to not make America hate again.
Global warming denial is barely worse than white privilege denial.

7/8

• Civil EIT (Full-Time Construction Inspector)

• Last Login: Today at 05:02:28 PM
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 05:14:18 PM »

Why would you want to stop at a certain post count?

http://www.mob-rule.com/user/dscurtis
http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=7_8

- Bring back the pre-Mike Harris King's Highway System!

NE2

• fuck

• Last Login: Today at 09:01:36 AM
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 06:07:39 PM »

Idiocy.
Florida route log | pre-1945
I will do my best to not make America hate again.
Global warming denial is barely worse than white privilege denial.

Max Rockatansky

• Last Login: Today at 07:59:33 PM
    • Sure, Why Not? (Highway Blog Spot)
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 06:13:20 PM »

What is you kids and post counts lately?  Maybe they all ought to be hidden so there is no reason to give a shit.

• UMass Lowell student

• Last Login: Today at 08:01:47 PM
    • Flickr account
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 06:18:52 PM »

What is you kids and post counts lately?  Maybe they all ought to be hidden so there is no reason to give a shit.

I deleted 11 posts from 2014-2016 in the Worst of Road Signs thread to reduce thread size (it's at 194 pages now). I don't care that it reduced my post count by 11.

(I did make sure that I didn't delete posts that were necessary for the discussion to make sense.)
Clinched, plus MA 133

Traveled, plus
US ⒔50
MA ⒐2⒉40.9⒐10⒎10⒐1⒒1⒚12⒎127A.14⒈159
NH 27,38,111A(E),128; NY 366; GA 42,140; FL A1A; CT 32; VT 5A; QC 16⒉16⒌263

Bold = new

MNHighwayMan

• Blue and gold forever!

• Last Login: Today at 07:50:40 PM
re: Seriously though, who cares?
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 06:23:28 PM »

Don't worry, right now there's only an issue because it's summer, thus no school. It'll return to normal in a few months.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 06:25:58 PM by MNHighwayMan »

Max Rockatansky

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 06:25:51 PM »

I deleted 11 posts from 2014-2016 in the Worst of Road Signs thread to reduce thread size (it's at 194 pages now). I don't care that it reduced my post count by 11.

(I did make sure that I didn't delete posts that were necessary for the discussion to make sense.)

Well...that wasn't aimed at you.  Suffice to say that some of the "new" users have made a thing out of post counts and are padding with fluff threads.  So to answer the OP's question with some clarity, crap like this thread is worthless fluff.

MNHighwayMan

• Blue and gold forever!

• Last Login: Today at 07:50:40 PM
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2017, 06:29:35 PM »

As a thought I just had, I also feel like I should point out that contemporary young people probably are not nearly as familiar with forum/bulletin board etiquette as some of us older people are. (Did I just call myself old…? :ded:)

vdeane

• Last Login: Today at 08:02:49 PM
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2017, 09:47:18 PM »

On another forum I used to read, there was a user who stopped posting when his post count hit 666.  If anything ever happened to make his post count go down, he'd post again until it was back to 666.

As an aside, I never inferred or stated that I "care" about my post count...
When you say that you intend to stop posting at a certain post count, people tend to assume you care about your post count.
My question is two-fold.

2 I want as many of my remaining posts as possible to be new threads. So what makes a thread interesting and worthy of replying to?
You should stop when you hit 171.

Nope  :bigass:
I've already decided, and it's not 171 or 172.

Legacy.
(emphasis mine)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

DaBigE

• Following the LEGO® brick road

• Last Login: August 16, 2019, 04:07:49 PM
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2017, 10:29:40 PM »

Legacy.

On an internet forum? This one? It's not like you're achieving 3000 hits in baseball or just won the triple crown or insert other sporting achievement here.

The only reason I care about post count is it can give a relative sense of a posters/post's content "legitimacy" and so I know how far I am from the next banner icon. But with the latter reason, I am not going to purposely start a zillion pointless polls or gap-filling posts to boost up to the next level faster.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Roadgeekteen

• Interstates everywhere to everything

• Last Login: Today at 05:57:12 PM
    • New interstate plans
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2017, 11:06:05 PM »

1. Why would you stop?

2. Caring a lot about post counts is a very new user thing, and I think I know the reason. It is a lot quicker to advance ranks as a new user than when you get more posts.

3. I know I kinda suck at forum etiquette, but I am learning

4. I still don't get the point of this thread.
I'm a young roadgeek who has been interested in roads since I was a little kid.

Max Rockatansky

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2017, 11:09:56 PM »

Well...that wasn't aimed at you.  Suffice to say that some of the "new" users have made a thing out of post counts and are padding with fluff threads.  So to answer the OP's question with some clarity, crap like this thread is worthless fluff.

Yet worthy of replying to  :bigass:

Worth calling out as crap Mr. "Legacy."  Everyone knows that is exactly what you're after, you post about a billion nothing threads a day with no substance to them. 

Legacy.

On an internet forum? This one? It's not like you're achieving 3000 hits in baseball or just won the triple crown or insert other sporting achievement here.

The only reason I care about post count is it can give a relative sense of a posters/post's content "legitimacy" and so I know how far I am from the next banner icon. But with the latter reason, I am not going to purposely start a zillion pointless polls or gap-filling posts to boost up to the next level faster.

Hence what I was getting at maybe making the post counts hidden.  In general you can infer a lot from someone's member status, generally a lot of these users who create a ton of threads like this flame out pretty quickly after starting quickly.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 11:12:04 PM by Max Rockatansky »

Roadgeekteen

• New interstate plans
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2017, 11:14:10 PM »

Yet worthy of replying to  :bigass:

Worth calling out as crap Mr. "Legacy."  Everyone knows that is exactly what you're after, you post about a billion nothing threads a day with no substance to them. 

Legacy.

Hence what I was getting at maybe making the post counts hidden.  In general you can infer a lot from someone's member status, generally a lot of these users who create a ton of threads like this flame out pretty quickly after starting quickly.
Serious question. Do my threads have substance, or are they "nothing threads."

ET21

• Last Login: August 16, 2019, 04:47:15 PM
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2017, 12:13:56 AM »

1. No

2. Originality
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where your going, without forgetting where your from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: Today at 07:55:53 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2017, 12:17:36 AM »

My question is two-fold.

Uh, no, and I really don't give a crap about how many posts I have or don't have.

Remaining posts? It's not like there's a quota or a limit. And what makes a thread interesting or worthy of replying to depends on each individual user's interests and areas of expertise.

Max Rockatansky

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2017, 12:25:06 AM »

I'm adept at handling ego trips. It's gonna take more than that.

Is that why you replied four times in a row when you literally could have just quoted all the replies in one post?  If you aren't on a ego trip then delete this stupid thread and call it a day.

Roadgeekteen

• New interstate plans
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2017, 12:53:45 AM »

I'm adept at handling ego trips. It's gonna take more than that.

Is that why you replied four times in a row when you literally could have just quoted all the replies in one post?  If you aren't on a ego trip then delete this stupid thread and call it a day.
You can't delete a thread you started. You can, however ask a mod to lock it. This will probably be locked anyway pretty soon.

corco

• Just Livin' the Dream

• Last Login: Today at 12:42:41 AM
    • Corcohighways.org
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2017, 01:06:32 AM »

I think the most noble thing you could possibly do is hang up your hat after 172 posts.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 06:01:25 PM by corco »

Scott5114

• Last Login: Today at 02:41:17 PM
    • Denexa 100% Plastic Playing Cards
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2017, 03:14:56 AM »

I think the forum should display an accurate post count, but not the post count of the member whose name it's under.

JoePCool14

• I'm surrounded by IDiOTs.

• Last Login: August 13, 2019, 08:18:06 PM
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2017, 03:49:09 PM »

Kids in general just don't know to act on forums. (If you go look at my old posts here, you'll notice the same thing. They're cringe-worthy and horrible. On other forums I use, some people feel the need to type like this and it is the most irritating thing.) Just like real-life etiquette, it is something learned over time.

There is no reason to stop posting at a certain point. Post counts are basically only for reference for users to see if the other person is new or a veteran, an active or infrequent user. It's not a contest, and it's not to display something "funny". That's why we have a quote line and a signature. I don't want to be rude, but it's simply the truth.
:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.

JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
All posts are personal opinion and/or subject to factual error.
Please excuse my early posts; I was much less mature and knowledegable back in the day!

Roadgeekteen

• New interstate plans
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2017, 03:53:32 PM »

Kids in general just don't know to act on forums. (If you go look at my old posts here, you'll notice the same thing. They're cringe-worthy and horrible. On other forums I use, some people feel the need to type like this and it is the most irritating thing.) Just like real-life etiquette, it is something learned over time.

There is no reason to stop posting at a certain point. Post counts are basically only for reference for users to see if the other person is new or a veteran, an active or infrequent user. It's not a contest, and it's not to display something "funny". That's why we have a quote line and a signature. I don't want to be rude, but it's simply the truth.
Generaly, but it can be misleading.

US71

• Road Scholar , Master of Snark

• Sign Inspector

• Last Login: Today at 10:36:11 AM
    • The Road Less Taken
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2017, 12:25:56 PM »

It reflects post counts only,  not interesting or relevant posts
a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest -- Simon & Garfunkel

JJBers

• I'm a road geek in the middle of nowhere

• Last Login: October 12, 2018, 08:32:34 PM
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2017, 12:35:33 PM »

It reflects post counts only,  not interesting or relevant posts
You could literally say "yeah" to every post and after a while, you'll be at 1000 posts with pretty much no contributions.
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di: I-81 [TN, WV-MD], I-84, I-95 [NH, CT-NY, MD-GA], and I-91)

Max Rockatansky

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2017, 12:47:41 PM »

I had half a thought for awhile during the "Great Forum Outage of 2017"  that the "forum updates" included wiping out post counts.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.