AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: US 69 South from Beaumont to Port Arthur  (Read 1039 times)

Anthony_JK

• Last Login: Today at 11:34:31 AM
US 69 South from Beaumont to Port Arthur
« on: July 04, 2017, 10:20:04 PM »

This segment of roadway has always confounded me.

It's full freeway standard from I-10 to Spur 330 (M. L. King Parkway)/SH 347, but then it turns into a mix of freeway and expressway with a few at-grade intersections up to the SH 73 cloverleaf before entering Port Arthur.

I've always wondered why it couldn't be a 3di I-x10, or, why the remaining segments couldn't be upgraded to freeway at least to SH 73.

bugo

• Last Login: May 24, 2019, 03:01:41 PM
    • No Frills Blog
Re: US 69 South from Beaumont to Port Arthur
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 03:12:10 AM »

I only see a couple of at grades, namely a couple of RIRO intersections just northwest of TX 73 and an iffy short frontage road along the southbound lanes at around the same place.

As far as it being an interstate, not every freeway has to have the shiny colorful shields (unless it's North Carolina, which seems hell-bent on making every stretch of freeway in the state an interstate).
This signature has been censored by the AARoads Bureau of Morality.

FreewayDan

• Last Login: May 25, 2019, 09:51:25 PM
    • FreewayDan's Flickr Channel
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 11:41:14 PM »

This segment of roadway has always confounded me.

It's full freeway standard from I-10 to Spur 330 (M. L. King Parkway)/SH 347, but then it turns into a mix of freeway and expressway with a few at-grade intersections up to the SH 73 cloverleaf before entering Port Arthur.

I've always wondered why it couldn't be a 3di I-x10, or, why the remaining segments couldn't be upgraded to freeway at least to SH 73.

Spur 330 is in Baytown (Decker Drive).
LEFT ON GREEN
 ARROW ONLY

Bobby5280

• Last Login: Today at 03:42:37 PM
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 01:35:46 PM »

Quote from: Anthony_JK

The driveways along US-69 between Jimmy Johnson Blvd and TX-73 are pretty odd. I can only guess TX-DOT didn't built the frontage roads all the way to the TX-73 interchange due to the marshlands and deep ditches next to the highway.

As for the rest of the freeway up to I-10, none of it meets current Interstate standards. The inner left shoulder is all but non-existent along that highway. The outer right shoulders are deficient in many places. Some of the on-ramp of off-ramp geometry is short and questionable. It's a pretty old freeway. It would need a lot of serious renovation to be turned into a 3 digit Interstate. One could make a sales pitch for upgrades of the US-69 freeway and TX-73 in Port Arthur for the purpose of hurricane evacuation.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.